This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who thinks it would be epic to hear a review of Gurren Lagann from Rym and Scott?

edited August 2008 in Anime
There's not too much to this question except that I'm kind of surprised that Rym and Scott have not seen Gurren Lagann? Its not really a big deal, but I'm just slightly surprised (kind of how it wasn't until this past week that Scott finally got off his butt to play a Megaman Zero/ZX game), what do you think? In case Rym and/or Scott read this, the show is pretty epic, I think you guys will really like it.

Comments

• I think the word "epic" is really overused and annoying.
  • Am I the only one that sees post-timeskip Rossiu as Scott?
  • The first half of the show is decent, the rest is fairly meh.
  • Seeing as Rym and Scott have been getting quite the bashing (see: "Done with the Podcast") as of late, I would guess that very few people would like to hear a review.

I wouldn't. Anime reviews tend to bore me, anyhow. I just watch what seems to be getting talked about a lot, then I form my own opinions on it.
  • This was mentioned in the show idea thread. I'm all up for this.
  • I want to know what they think about the show, being as I seem to think that it's awesome. Also, I second the post-timeskip Rossiu=Scott analogy.
  • Seeing as Rym and Scott have been getting quite the bashing (see: "Done with the Podcast") as of late, I would guess that very few people would like to hear a review.
    I think that the bashing would encourage reviews and actual conversation. Let me paraphrase the bashing for you.

Mr. K: Rym and Scott are full of themselves! It makes me mad! I quit!
    Other people: Yeah, yeah, Those guys and their big egos!
    Mrs. Mac: Oh, such big egos!
    Various girls: But we like them.
    People: They need to talk about stuff other than how awesome they are. We want to hear more informative stuff! Reviews, lectures, et cetera!
    Forum: Hear, Hear.
    Emi: Boy, this is De ja vu.

But Gurren Lagann, very yes! Do want! We plan to watch this in the near future.
  • But Gurren Lagann, very yes! Do want! We plan to watch this in the near future.
    Good. This is GAINAX getting their groove back. If you like a show with even small shades of Gunbusterness to it, you'll love G-L.
  • Gainax doesn't get their groove back, they just have brief periods where they make amazing shows between all the shit they crank out.
  • Nobody's perfect. Even still I will always give a show a go from Gainax.
  • Nobody's perfect. Even still I will always give a show a go from Gainax.
    Sorry, no Mahoromatic, please.
  • Gurren Lagann was pretty awesome all the way through for me, but I agree the first half (1-15) was better. I didn't think this was the type of show Scott and Rym would be in to, seeing as it has fighting and power ups although the power ups are pretty satire and eventually even make you guy "Gah, awesome" when they happen.
  • Gurren Lagann was pretty awesome all the way through for me, but I agree the first half (1-15) was better. I didn't think this was the type of show Scott and Rym would be in to, seeing as it has fighting and power ups although the power ups are pretty satire and eventually even make you guy "Gah, awesome" when they happen.
    Was more "Not this shit again" for me.

Like I said earlier, the first half is definitely better than the later half. If Rym and/or Scott decide to watch this show, then i would recommend ignoring the later episodes cause everything good and awesome about the series happens in the first 13.
  • Like I said earlier, the first half is definitely better than the later half. If Rym and/or Scott decide to watch this show, then i would recommend ignoring the later episodes cause everything good and awesome about the series happens in the first 13.
    You are recommending that, and others are recommending the entire show. I doubt Rym and Scott are incapable of deciding whether they want to watch more or not and if they like it or not. Your opinion is not fact Tenhauser, so don't make it look that way. n.~

I personally would enjoy having Geeknights review Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but was I not the person, or one of the people, suggesting the show in the Show Ideas topic?
  • edited August 2008
    Why is everybody raining down upon the second half? The second half was awesome! Did the first half have giant robots piloting even larger giant robots? No! Did the first half have a robot so big that he used galaxies as shuriken? No! The second half was as awesome as the first, the awesomeness was just in a more condensed state.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I also liked the second for its ultra over the toppery.
  • edited August 2008
    I also liked the second for its ultra over the toppery.
    Same.

The epic craziness, accompanied with a pretty great OST, made the second half really enjoyable. But I liked the first half more because it felt like more of an epic journey we were going along with. The second half was just a cluster fuck of over the top, colourfull and hilarious action.

Especially the final battle.

Galaxy Shuriken!
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I actually prefer the second half, myself. Mainly for the epic-ness described in the spoiler lines above, but also because I really liked the portrayal of the characters after the timeskip.
  • Please. The first half was OK, but what did you have for awesome speaches? Episode 11? Please. Pretty much every other episode toward the end had some sort of speech that got the blood flowing.
  • What is Gurren Lagann?
  • edited August 2008
    What is Gurren Lagann?
    Anime.

Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • What is Gurren Lagann?
    Remember this well.
    This drill rips holes through the universe.
    Those holes will become paths for those who will follow!
    The wishes of the defeated and the hopes of those who follow... With those two thoughts, with twenty spirals weaved in, we'll carve a hole to tomorrow!
    That is Tengen Toppa!
    That is Gurren-Lagann!

... Sorry. Basically, it's a very good mecha series. I believe both aWo and Dave and Joel have done episodes talking about it far better than I can summarize.
  • What is Gurren Lagann?
    It is a recent Gainax series that is a throwback to the giant robot genre.
  • What is Gurren Lagann?
    The OP sums it up

Or maybe an AMV?
  • edited August 2008
    What is Gurren Lagann?
    It took me so long to find this. Shit, good thing I had it bookmarked.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_lagann

Anyways, I'm not quite done yet (still have like 3-4 eps left), but I liked the first half a lot better. The second half so far has been too preachy and the characters aren't as cool, IMO.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • What is Gurren Lagann?
    Is an anime that shows that human spirit will never be defeated.
  • edited August 2008
    Contrary to the title of post, I don't even care too much if Rym and Scott actually reviewed it, but I'd love it if they just watched it. Mostly because I believe this show pretty much sums up every once of awesome that is the giant robots. Plus, yes I do agree with Neito's first comment.
    Post edited by otakuofthenorth on
  • Mr. K: Rym and Scott are full of themselves! It makes me mad! I quit!
    People: They need to talk about stuff other than how awesome they are. We want to hear more informative stuff! Reviews, lectures, et cetera!
    That had me ROFLing for a few minutes. HI-larious
  • Mr. K: Rym and Scott are full of themselves! It makes me mad! I quit!
    That had me ROFLing for a few minutes. HI-larious
    Hmm? It makes it sound liek I do not like Rym and Scott. I love them, but they are egomaniacs.
  • edited August 2008
    it's a very good mecha series.
    This is an oxymoronic statement.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on