This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061023 - So We Lost the Power Cable for the Compressor

RymRym
edited October 2006 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we left the power cable for our compressor at Ubercon, and as such we discuss the fact that few consumer product manufacturers these days allow for the replacement of parts. The audio quality of the show will be a little less than spectacular until we acquire a replacement. In the news, IBM sues Amazon, and Flash 9 beta is out for Linux.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Ouch!

If only you had told me (us) before I (we) left on Sunday... Oh well.

Well, the audio quality isn't that bad, but yes. I DO appreciate the money you spend on that compressor, Scrym, and I thank you for that.
    ^_^
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    Hey, we were exhausted. I probably just forgot to grab it from under the table. ^_~

We'll have the compressor back online by next week at the absolute latest. Also, in looking at our options, we were driven to go forward with our planned equipment upgrades sooner rather than later. Expect us to pick up a much larger and more powerful mixer, possibly a second, rack-mount compressor, some real microphones, and possibly some noise gates or FX equipment. ^_^

We bought what we did to get started. Now that we know what our needs are, and as well that we're in this for the long haul, we're ready to go pro. After some 200 episodes, we see the limitations of our current setup.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    I paired two different podcasts side by side and I could definitely tell, but I'll manage ;-)

Sucks about Radio Shack these days. I still go there now and again to pick up extra parts for fun little circuits... my Radio Shacks have drawers in the back that have parts for simple circuits. I say screw the Ipod :-( There is a place about an hour away from me called Fry's Electronics that sells all kinds of stuff. Chances are they'd have your compressor and a cable... It's an amazing store.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There is a place about an hour away from me calledFry'sElectronics that sells all kinds of stuff. Chances are they'd have your compressor and a cable... It's an amazing store.
    We know all about Fry's, but we don't live even remotely close to one. It's not a store that exists in the Northeast US.
  • Do you think that increasing integration in electronics has something to do with us getting less support? I mean, if a chip is broken its broken and its pretty damn hard to fix one.
  • I haven't been there forever myself.. hence not seeing the sign :P Well that's no fun for you guys at all!
    Do you think that increasing integration in electronics has something to do with us getting less support? I mean, if a chip is broken its broken and its pretty damn hard to fix one.
    It's other things they mean. Like, the very thing they need: a power supply/cable. The companies by integrating everything have sometimes taken away access to accessories.

Another thing that bothers me is why they make somthign so specific just so you have to pay more. When I was 13, I bought a guitar effects processor without a power supply and since it was a 9v with weird amperage, I'd either have to build one or buy one from the company which WAY overcharged it.
  • edited October 2006
    Oh, and scott...

am I cool enough to IM you? (not on a whim, obviously.) ^_^'
    Post edited by Brineshrimp on
  • edited October 2006
    Oh, and scott...

am I cool enough to IM you? (not on a whim, obviously.) ^_^'
    Yeah, Scott? Am I worth your time? G*_*G
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Your randi digger is starting to get a couple of articles on the front page. Interesting...
  • Didn't notice.
  • hey rym and scott guess what i'm back
  • Someone will buy it on eBay, someone bought my broken VCR, he was making a fish tank out of an old tv and wanted the VCR to be able to put the food through.