This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061212 - Wii Virtual Console

RymRym
edited December 2006 in Video Games

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about the Wii virtual console and the games we've purchased, including Gunstar Heroes, , and Ice Hockey. In the news, Counterstrike is to have ads in-game, and the Dragon Quest franchise moves to the Nintendo DS.

Scott's Thing - Megaman vs. Donkey Kong
Rym's Thing - USB Key

Comments

• edited December 2006
    You already did an episode on Counterstrike.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • If it is a true DQ game and comes to America I might just have to get a DS.
  • Holy shit that USB.
  • Talking about the Download Play feature that was guys spoke of, I believe it was announced that the Wii (in the future) will be a Download Station that could send Demos/Minigames/etc onto the DS. This should be running once DS to Wii connectivity features have been shown to be popular.

Don't quote me on this, though. I'm not 100% sure that this is correct information, but I remember hearing about this somewhere.
  • Holy craps! I had Gunstar Heroes back on sega genesis! That was one awesome game. I thought it was sweet how the different weapon combinations work. Scott's got it right: homing weapon + laser = the bomb. The music was cool, too.
  • The first day of Winter is Dec 22!
  • Scott's right about Dragon Warrior/Quest monster names. It was Drakee/Drakey/Dracky depending on the game.
  • I will admit that, to my private shame, I not only hated Dragon Warrior One, but never even bothered getting past the first area.
  • Scott's right about Dragon Warrior/Quest monster names. It was Drakee/Drakey/Dracky depending on the game.
    Not only is it awesome that I am right, but Drakey is a much cuter name than just Drake. I think that is a good thing because it more accurately reflects the incredibly cute graphics.

Oh yeah, I also hated early Dragon Warrior games, they were largely unplayable except by crazed Japanese fanboys. However, Dragon Warrior Monsters for GBC was quite excellent, if complex. I never played much of the more recent DW games because I never owned the correct console. However, I imagine I might like them more than say, Final Fantasy. They always seemed to be more like EarthBound style RPGs. Perhaps I will get this new one for the DS if/when it comes out.
  • I played Dragon Quest VIII, which I really was enjoying but never got around to finishing.
  • edited December 2006
    However, Dragon Warrior Monsters for GBC was quite excellent, if complex. I never played much of the more recent DW games because I never owned the correct console. However, I imagine I might like them more than say, Final Fantasy. They always seemed to be more like EarthBound style RPGs. Perhaps I will get this new one for the DS if/when it comes out.
    ds.ign.com/objects/682/682870.html

3D Wi-Fi Dragon Warrior Monsters for the DS.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I will admit that, to my private shame, I not only hated Dragon Warrior One, but never even bothered getting past the first area.
    OH MY GOD!

You missed the important lesson... "Does Thou love me"
    "No"
    "But thou Must, Does thou love me?"
    "No"
    "No"
    "YES" YOU MOTHERFING PRINCESS NOW LEAVE ME ALONE"

This game seriously taught me what to expect later in life..
  • LOL...I had forgotten that conversation in the game.
  • The only game I would be considering to pay 10 dollars for is if they came out with The Legend of Zelda: the Ocarina of Time on the virtual console.
  • The only game I would be considering to pay 10 dollars for is if they came out with The Legend of Zelda: the Ocarina of Time on the virtual console.
    That's not even worth it. I've got two copies of OOT for the Gamecube and also the Master Quest.
    That's not even worth it. I've got two copies of OOT for the Gamecube and also the Master Quest.
    So do I, but I would still purchase it only if I had received the Wii points card as a gift. I dont use virtual console because I have emulators for most decent games released on the virtual console.
  • Super Mario RPG for the Virtual Console, I am now sedated.