This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070102 - Guitar Heroes

RymRym
edited January 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we review the Guitar Heroes franchise. In the news, HDTV disappoints, and console games are getting buggier.

Scott's Thing - Samorost 2
Rym's Thing - 12 Player WarioWare

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Whoa! GeekNights is out early today =) A whole 2 hours early! Congrats XD
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Looking forward to a great episode, guys. Just got Guitar Hero 2, and it is greatly living up to my expectations. Very Cool.
  • Guitar Hero was the best, but I heard that 2 was insanely harder because there are 3 button combinations instead of just two.
  • Guitar Hero was the best, but I heard that 2 was insanely harder because there are 3 button combinations instead of just two.
    I don't think that the original was the best, but the triple combinations do make somewhat harder.
  • The Sonic game loads that much and is pretty shitty overall. I'm kinda glad that I got it as a gift and didn't pay money for it.
  • Rym and Scott, you do know its called Guitar Hero not Guitar Heroes right? I originally thought you were just referring to them together as Guitar Heroes, but then you seemed to refer to singular ones in the plural.
  • Rym and Scott, you do know its called Guitar Hero not Guitar Heroes right? I originally thought you were just referring to them together as Guitar Heroes, but then you seemed to refer to singular ones in the plural.
    I know the right name. That's all Rym with the episode titling.
  • Guitar Hero I & II were played almost constantly at my house the weekend after Christmas. Getting to Freebird felt like such an achievement. Great games.
  • Guitar Heroes (I and II) were played almost constantly over this last weekend as well ^_^ it was fun but damn we had alot of people there. 3 player Guitar Hero would be amazing (rythm guitar, lead and bass). Maybe the next installment would have that probably for the Xbox360 though. Still so much fun to play with alot of people!!
  • I do agree that Guitar Hero is fun even on easy mode. Though I have a friend of mine that plays it so much, he can get perfect scores even on extreme difficulty.
  • Go to one of the Dreamation Conventions in New Brunswick. They were given free systems to use at the CON.

Last time I ran events there I was right by the room with the games and some folks were insanely good at the game!
  • edited January 2007
    About the whammy bar in Guitar Hero. You SHOULD use it because it can increase your score. It's not just to screw around with for no reason. There are long notes that have little twinkly stars on them and if you use the whammy bar you can extract star power from them which you can later use to activate star power by tilting the guitar or pressing select and double your multiplier (or just get a 2x multiplier if you don't have one running yet). So if you wanna be the best of the best you definitely need to use the whammy bar. But yeah, this game is great. I bought GH1 when GH2 was already out and I got to hard mode in a day and ran to the store the next day to get GH2 too. Get it people!
    Post edited by Axersia on
  • We know you can use the whammy bar in GH to up the score. What we said was that it wasn't strictly necessary. You can completely ignore it and still play the game just fine.
  • I'm using GH 2 for a party game along with my Wii for a party that I'm hosting on Friday. Guitar Hero ftw!
  • edited January 2007
    Oh, Guitar Hero 2 was pretty awesome. I got it before thanksgiving and I play with it at least once every weak, school kept me busy. Anyhow after a couple of runs with the guitar free bird becomes relatively easy in normal mode. I still haven't try hard. Anyhow my favorite songs are:
    Message in a Bottle
    Freya
    Sweet Child o' Mine
    Jessica
    Carry On Wayward Son
    Free Bird
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I much preferred the songs on the First game, but would rather play the Second, because of some of the game mechanics. If there was some way to play the first games songs in the second GH, I'd be all over that. Having said that, The song range in both is fantastic.

My little brother plays it more than I do. He has 2 songs left on Expert on each game before absolute completion.
  • I much preferred the songs on the First game, but would rather play the Second, because of some of the game mechanics. If there was some way to play the first games songs in the second GH, I'd be all over that. Having said that, The song range in both is fantastic.
    I'm with the laughing man over here. I like the old songs best.
  • Has anyone notice how big is the difference between normal and hard. I mean I got 4 starts on Free Bird but I can't even finish one song on hard. Do you guys have any suggestions?
  • Has anyone notice how big is the difference between normal and hard. I mean I got 4 starts on Free Bird but I can't even finish one song on hard. Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Practice.
  • I picked up Guitar Hero pretty fast, I think it was from all that DDR. ^^

My friend Amber is wicked good at it, she can do all the songs on hard. 0_0
  • OMG I'm Getting GH2 for my XBOX360 now, I didn't think it had different songs from the ps2 version but I did not hear that song in the Youtube video in the ps2 version therefore... I need it
  • So has anyone noticed this on the Wii version?
  • edited November 2007

So has anyone noticedthison the Wii version?

I think Scott mentioned on the show something along the lines of "Anyone who uses Dolby Logic gets what they deserve".
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I disagree. I think it should work.
  • So has anyone noticedthison the Wii version?

I think Scott mentioned on the show something along the lines of "Anyone who uses Dolby Logic gets what they deserve".
    I don't remember saying that. Anyway, the reason that this issue puzzled me is because I actually know how pro-logic works, and the stories people were telling did not make sense. Now the true story has come out, and it does make sense. Maybe I will do a show on surround sound to explain it all.

All you need to know for now is this. Guitar Hero for Wii is actually screwy in that during song play all audio is in mono. That is what is causing the pro logic to not work at all. For anyone who complains about that, I just want to say that we've been playing GH3 on our stereo TV, and the audio quality has been just fine. Wouldn't have even noticed it was mono if the Internet hadn't said anything about it. Despite that, it would be nice if there were free replacement disks.
  • I think Scott mentioned on the show something along the lines of "Anyone who uses Dolby Logic gets what they deserve".I don't remember saying that.
    Either you said it or Rym said it and you agreed.  I clearly remember this being said, though.
  • Friday night I went to the release party for ROCKBAND, held at the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston. It was a fun mix of the Boston/Providence music scene along with game geeks. The first question I asked a friend that works at Harmonix: Why not add a keyboard? He replied that it was a hot debate internally but they decided against it. I suppose the volume of content available for drum/bass guitar/acoustic guitar/vocal is much broader than that with keyboards - but the real reason may be the simplicity of four controllers. We'll see what they do for a sequel to Rockband.

(I'm not schilling the vg, but between GN and FKFTG always talking about Guitar Hero of late - if you want any Harmonix or other Boston-area game developer info, I'll see what I can dig up.)
  • Either you said it or Rym said it and you agreed.  I clearly remember this being said, though.
    I dislike ProLogic. ^_~
  • I wish I knew anything about audio :(