This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070109 - Castlevania PR and Excite Truck

RymRym
edited January 2007 in Video Games

Tonight on GeekNights, we preview Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Excite Truck. In the news, Second Life open sources and someone makes another "Worst Videogame Endings of All Time" list.

Scott's Thing - Sizeasy
Rym's Thing - I'll see you in Hell, Pachelbel

Comments

• I picked up Excite Truck yesterday after hearing the podcast. So far it's a lot of fun, but every once in a while I find mysself hitting the d-pad for controlling the car.
  • I picked up Excite Truck yesterday after hearing the podcast. So far it's a lot of fun, but every once in a while I find mysself hitting the d-pad for controlling the car.
    It's weird, but I've never had that problem.
  • I've only played Excite Truck on the in-store kiosk demo machines. I found myself overcompensating...
  • Yeah it can take a little while to get used to it, since its a rather foreign way of controlling games. But once you are used to it its really nice.
  • So... what about that game that comes with a steering wheel thingy to mount your Wiimote in? Does that game use a system different than Excite Truck does for steering?
  • So... what about that game that comes with a steering wheel thingy to mount your Wiimote in? Does that game use a system different than Excite Truck does for steering?
    I haven't played those games, but nobody has talked about them. I'm pretty sure they are cheap crap games.

Judging by the way the steering wheel looks, I think they do steer slightly differently from Excite Truck. In Excite Truck you hold the controller like an NES controller with the buttons facing up. You tilt the controller left and right to steer and forward and back to control flight. the steering wheel puts the Wiimote in a position with the buttons facing towards you instead of up at the ceiling. So if you tried to play Excite Truck by naturally turning that wheel as a real steering wheel, it wouldn't work. You would need a wheel that mounts the Wiimote in a way that the buttons are pointing towards the top of the wheel.
  • edited February 2007
    I have a trick for Rym to use in PoR. I picked it up after hearing the preview, and I too had issues with the sisters boss fight, but I read a trick that makes the actual battle last about ten seconds.
    -First you need sanctuary and clear skies, have Charlotte as your secondary character and give her clear skies.
    -When the sisters summon the ice dragon heads hit the right shoulder button so she pops in and casts clear skies.
    -Stay in the clear skies area and wait for one of the dragon heads to hit it.
    -Switch clear skies to sanctuary, and when you get back to battle out of the menus, the sisters will be frozen in the ice dragon summon formation.
    -Then just cast sanctuary with no problems and its done.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • I'm surprised it gave you that much trouble, Rym... it couldn't have taken me more than three or four tries. I just waited for the sister to start the horizontal ice dragon attack, set Charlotte up behind her, and kept the other sister distracted with Jonathan.
  • It actually only took me 5 minutes worth of seriously trying. It was just annoying, like the time-dependent puzzles in Lolo 3.
  • It actually only took me 5 minutes worth of seriously trying. It was just annoying, like the time-dependent puzzles in Lolo 3.
    Aren't you the one who is always talking about how video games are not even close to being as hard as they were in the past (i.e silver surfer)? It seems to me you are now jaded when it comes to video game difficulty and just blame you troubles on trivial puzzles that are "annoying". Why don't you just man up ~_^
  • It took me less than 30 seconds. I just immediately cast Sanctuary then have Johnathan spin the strong whip possible creating a "barrier" of sort. I also boost Charlotte's mind, intelligence, and constitution stats as high as possible. Literally, that is all I did. The major factor is luck.
    Aren't you the one who is always talking about how video games are not even close to being as hard as they were in the past (i.e silver surfer)? It seems to me you are now jaded when it comes to video game difficulty and just blame you troubles on trivial puzzles that are "annoying". Why don't you just man up ~_^
    Yes, but there is a difference between arbitrary stupid hard and skill hard. Ikaruga is hard, but it is not arbitrary, unfair or unreasonable. Ikaruga just requires lots of skill and practice. Let's look at another game like Takeshi's Challenge, that is just unreasonably difficult. You see the difference? Also, I'm not going to say which category this Castlevania game is in because I just started playing it last night. I will say that I was doing just great until the first boss kicked my ass.
  • I will say that I was doing just great until the first boss kicked my ass.
    I think everyone I've heard who's played this game has said that.
  • Yes, but there is a difference between arbitrary stupid hard and skill hard. Ikaruga is hard, but it is not arbitrary, unfair or unreasonable. Ikaruga just requires lots of skill and practice.
    Ikaruga is a whole 'nother bag of beans. I credit Ikaruga with the ruining of the modern shooter (and there wasn't a whole lot left to ruin in the first place). Where shooters before used to involve at least SOME iota of skill and instinct, now, because of Ikaruga, every shooter basically requires you to memorize every single second of every level to have a remote chance of surviving. That's not even hard, it's just boring repetition.
  • Where shooters before used to involve at least SOME iota of skill and instinct, now, because of Ikaruga, every shooter basically requires you to memorize every single second of every level to have a remote chance of surviving. That's not even hard, it's just boring repetition.
    Word.
  • edited February 2007
    every shooter basically requires you to memorize every single second of every level to have a remote chance of surviving. That's not even hard, it's just boring repetition.
    It's not a shooter, but that's what happened with Dragon's Lair. When I was a kid, the game looked like the most amazing thing ever to be made. You could actually play a cartoon! It soon became apparent that you just had to memorize which way to move the joystick and that was it.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Where shooters before used to involve at least SOME iota of skill and instinct, now, because of Ikaruga, every shooter basically requires you to memorize every single second of every level to have a remote chance of surviving. That's not even hard, it's just boring repetition.
    Word.
    You mean like DDR on highest difficulty?
  • Does anyone out there have Castlevania PoR? I realized the solution to my problems is to use Shope Mode to buy the stuff I accidentally sold. Please sell me the nun equipment and the thick glasses. Thanks.
  • edited February 2007
    I'll sell ya the stuff, just give me the word.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • I've got it as well, just send me an IM on jabber sometime.