This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070228 - New York Comic-Con

edited February 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the second annual New York Comic Convention. In the news we discuss the terrible American Anime Awards.

Scott's Thing - Sailor Moon in German
Rym's Thing - Gargoyles in German

Comments

• The worst anime I have ever seen (I couldn't have said this 2 months ago because I hadn't seen it at that point) is undoubtedly in my mind Odin: Starlight Mutiny . I found it because I heard AWO's (Daryl's) review of it and I thought "No, this couldn't have been the worst anime ever, I've seen MD Geist 2 ON VHS no less" So I scoured the internet looking for this... because I wasn't going to spend money on it if it happened to actually be the worst anime ever, and finally found it but it was the edited dubbed version only, which AWO said wasn't "as" bad as the full version, but it was the only thing so I thought why not. It took over 4 days to dl through bittorrent because someone on dial-up must have been seeding I swear >.< I watched it, sort of... I fell asleep 5 times... 5 TIMES. I cannot even describe how bad this anime is, although if you want to hear it ripped to shreds better than I think anyone can, listen to Daryl, Clarissa, and Gerald rip this show a new one for almost 40 minutes, more eloquently than I ever could.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, that episode of AWO is a classic :D . I have not watched ODIN yet but I take AWO's word for it. I had the opportunity to buy it for one dollar but I was not about to soil that dollar. Instead I got the Macross Movie in vhs that was from 84 in english dub and it is not the Clash of the Bionoids. Hopefuly AWO will get it by the end of this week.

Anyhow, I think it would be awesome for the good anime podcasters in the net to create the Anime Podcasting Awards. That was a great idea you guys. I definitely will be looking forward to those, if it eventually comes out.

And also, Germany can't do ten anime openings
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited March 2007
    And also,Germany can't do ten anime openings
    My ears! They even adopted the "Believe it!" catchphrase.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hegah, I suddenly have this mad urge to watch Sailor Moon.
  • edited March 2007
    Fake is definitely a shonen ai title. I've seen it. It's about two New York City detectives, one who is American and the other half-Japanese. There names are Dee and Ryo. Being of shonen-ai/yaoi fangirl origins, I liked it. The OVA wasn't explicit however so no fears for the squeamish ones. The two of them are on vacation in England and Dee plans on seducing Ryo finally but of course some sort of mystery surfaces. I've never seen a show or read a book where cops or detectives are on "vacation" and some sort of crime doesn't come out of the depths for them to solve.

I am a huge Sailormoon fan. Heehee. One of the first anime I ever watched. Hardcore and with friends like it was a animated soap opera back in junior high when it was on Toonami at around 4:30pm weekdays (in addition to Buffy). I was so angry when I found out how they changed so many things in that show from the Japanese version to the English. The German opening is pretty hot. An upbeat tempo techno sound tends to make want to dance. The original song is slower and not as energetic.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • edited March 2007
    Did anyone know that Kevin Smith was inducted into the 501st Star Wars Legionat the comic-con?

I just found out today by a buddy of mine that was doing security at the comic convention. He was telling me how Kevin was more of a fan boy to them (in their costumes) than they were of him!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I've already talked to Rym about this, but not all East coast comic conventions are bad.

What Scrym forgot to mention on the podcast is that we went to the MoCCA Arts Festival in NYC this past summer and the whole shindig was a blast. And although I have not personally gone, I have also heard from first-person accounts that Small Press Expo in Maryland is pretty awesome. Granted, both of these conventions are for indie comics and not underwearpervert comics, but I'd suggesting checking either of these out if you're looking for a good comic convention for fun and hangouts.
  • Yes, MoCCA was teh awesome, and I plan to return regularly ^_^