This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070315 - Vacations

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, despite several tangents, we talk about vacationing. In the news, there's Voodoo in Yonkers, and murder in your search history.

Scott's Thing - Pictures of Firemen
Rym's Thing - The Skycycle

Comments

• I went on something similar to the Skycycle at Legoland when I was but a wee lad.
  • I have been in all 48 lower states.

I have been as far East as Berlin.
  • Some of my favourite vacation memories include tubing/horseback riding in the Smokey Mountains and stealing fossils and mineral samples from Canadian national parks. ^_^
  • I have been in all 48 lower states.
    Kansas thanks you.
  • Rym: "I don't think there's anyone who dislikes a well-oiled fireman."
    Uh, hey, Rym? You know how I know you're gay?
  • I went to Italy with my Latin class in high school. I recommend Italy, not so much Venice, but Florence and Rome are awesome. Venice is rather dirty, but aside from that its cool.

I personally want to go to Okinawa, and you know other parts of Japan too. I'm keeping a mental list of places I want to check out if I ever go to Japan, like go to Shinjuku, drive Mt. Akina (even though its covered in speed bumps and whatnot,) etc.
  • One thing that tripped me out when I was in Spain was that the tourist trap city we stayed in had a high number of lovely ladies who spoke multiple languages fluently. The trippy part is not that they were there but that they were getting paid chump money to hand out flyers!

I kept thinking, why are you working for $5 and hour when you are fluent in 5 languages???
  • edited March 2007
    Go to the top of the Empire State while you can. I don't think it will vanish anytime soon, but then I had the same sentiments about the Twin Towers. I went to H.S. two blocks away. One hot summer day, my former best friend and I debated whether to go to the movies or to the top of towers. The price was about the same ($13 or so) because Manhattan movie theaters are stupid like that so we had to make a choice. We chose the movie, though don't ask me what it was we saw, and decided to save the elevator trip up for another day since it wouldn't be but a step to get there. Then what happened the following September happened. But the Empire State looks a bit more sturdy. I'm sure you can stand to procrastinate on that for while.

Ever gone to Dorney Park? It's not really that far away. It seemed to have a bunch of coasters. I was on the water rides all day long when I went last summer though. My boyfriend likes coasters. I had a bad experience on The Cyclone at Coney Island when I was 12 or something and now they just irk me.

I might be going to Anime Expo with my bf next summer. I went to AnimeExpoNY back in 2002 when it was in my backyard and it was terrific. As for vacation places, Japan must be somewhere high on your list if you've never been. I've always wanted to go to southern England (Southend on Sea looks lovely and it's an easy train ride to London). Scotland. Quebec is another. Ireland. A couple of places in Africa (Senegal. Ghana. Egypt, etc) A couple of places in Asia. Greece. Austrailia. New Zealand. If you go to the Caribbean, I reccommend Barbados. I have a list much longer than this.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • Ride a train in a loop through the states. I did it for two weeks in high school, and I saw everything. I just stared out the window the whole time. It was amazing.
  • I have been to Dorney Park. It isn't what it used to be. The Empire State Building is actually getting easier to visit. You can buy tickets online, and they re-opened the higher-up observation deck in late 2005.