This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Seeking Linux podcast team

edited May 2007 in Technology
Dear All,

As you may have heard a while ago Geeknights was contacted by someone who was looking to use the geeknights format in accordance with the CC license to use in a podcast of their own. This person was myself. Unfortunately the geeknights didn't work for a weekly the way I had hoped but I have made a new format and am now looking for some co hosts to help me make my idea a reality.

The show aims to be a Linux podcast in the vein of Monday shows, explaining useful things in Linux (focusing mostly on the more assessable Ubuntu "Ubuntu" family.) talking about developments in the Linux community.
The aim of this podcast would be to show people how to do more with Linux and attempting to change the attitude of the rather chaotic Linux community.
As for your co-hosts, I am aiming to get 4 other people as well as myself (4+1=5) to do the podcast so that on any given week at least 3 people will always be available. 3 I have learned is usually the best number when dealing with people you do not know to begin with. I have tried this before with to other people but one said I wouldn't be able to make it and the other stopped responding.

To do the show all I ask is that you can be online any time for an hour or so from 12noon to 6pm American time (these may seem odd but I am operating from england, which would have me online from 6pm to 12 midnight) a few days a week (only recording on one but getting 3/5 people online the same day is tricky) and has the latest version of skype or gizmo installed (If people are using skype I may have to use windows as I cant get it to record in Linux)

Anyone who can manage that and is interested in yacking on for an hour about Linux please email me at gmail.com@omnutia [other way round. Confuses crawlers] and/or post in the comments below.

Thank you for your patience.

P.S. After the failed first attempt I have everything set up. from recording equipment to website to hosting. All I need is your voice and views.

Comments

• As you may have heard a while ago Geeknights was contacted by someone who was looking to use the geeknights format in accordance with the CC licensee to use in a podcast of their own. This person was myself.
    Huh. I thought they were referring to Glimp.
    To do the show all I ask is that you can be online any time for an hour or so from 12noon to 6pm American time
    Uhh, which American time? There's eastern, central, mountain, and pacific.
  • The aim of this podcast would be to show people how to do more with Linux and attempting to change the attitude of the rather chaotic Linux community.
    I deny the existence of any chaos in the Linux community.
  • edited May 2007
    "I deny the existence of any chaos in the Linux community."
    and when was the last time you saw every Linux user agree on something? I consider it very rare that a community can... Oh, just clicked the link, I take it that one was in jest.

Damn, forgot about the America being too big to fit into one time zone, well If its easier for you just work it out from 6pm to 12 midnight GMT

Well I suppose your not looking to join but thanks for the post, it at least gets the ball rolling.

[Edit: If anyone would like me to post up the current format prototype then I can, its just its rather detailed and a lot of text puts people off.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Well I suppose your not looking to join but thanks for the post, it at least gets the ball rolling.
    I would offer to join, but I doubt you want a 16-year-old Linux n00b on your podcast XD
  • Just a question, but what are your qualifications to perform such a podcast? Do you happen to be a computer professional whose expertise is the linux operating system, or are you just a linux user/enthusiast? What issues will you cover? I'm just trying to see what you are aiming for.
  • Can I be the Dvorak on the 'cast?
  • Good question WaterIsPoison,
    I am 19 though I make an effort to act as maturely as I can, 16 year old newcomers to Linux are welcome too. I have had about 1.5 years experience starting with ubuntu and working my way around a few of its variants, currently using Kubuntu 7.04 dual booted with windows.
    To give you the whole shebang on the podcast it will be a small panel based show (important to say podcast only where necessary) which will probably be aimed at people who are tech savvy enough to download podcasts and use Linux. Things we will be discussing are split into:
    The "News" which will only be anything we can give greater insight into than the article on digg and may just be interesting things that happened to us personally. May also include feedback.
    the "Issue" first half of the show covering things such as Microsoft's threats concerning intellectual property, the OLPC which I've been following interestedly
    The "Thing of the day"/"Half time break" which I will start off by using my secret stash of discount web sites and the other hosts can bring something of their own or can have one of mine, then theres always digg.
    The "Technical" Second half where we look at some cool Linux stuff such as software, gadgetry and comparing various ways of doing things e.g. how best to read comics on your laptop? or "Why the hell has 7.04 broken every scanner in existence?"
    The "Roundup" site news etc and outro (If anyone knows any pod safe music along the lines of Space Lion from cowboy bebop then a heads up would be much appreciated.)
  • But, will you cover Pokemon?
  • But, will you cover Pokemon?
    Now rolfcoptering.

I hope that if you are doing a podcast, you will do more than news on Digg. Also, you still haven't stated how you are qualified to be an authoritative speaker on Linux.
  • Ok! We now have three hosts and am setting a recording date, may have a show up some time next week.
    Damn, a Pokemon podcast. Why didn't I think of that?
    If you'd like to do one Ive got plenty of web space.
  • One of the hosts has dropped out due to the difficulty of time differences.
    We were meant to record this Monday but the other host had salmonella.

Still, we are working on things so expect more updates soon!