This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070521 - Getting into Linux

RymRym
edited May 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we begin "Getting Into It Week" by teaching you how to get into Linux. In the news, new plastics are awesome and computers are full of gold and poison.
Scott's Thing - Eyeball Myths

Rym's Thing - Jetsons Family Guy

Comments

• I have high hopes for this episode!
  • The comment on entropy made me think of The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. It's a short story and a great read.
  • edited May 2007
    La Blue Girl is a good hentai. Lady Blue and LA Blue Girl Returns It are also really good. What can I say, I'm a pervert of sorts.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2007
    Cool.  This is good, because most of the newbie Linux tips have been sprinkled here and there in other episodes, so it's all in one place.  But, it basically boiled down to Get Ubuntu - learn - get Gentoo - and then really learn it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2007
    Damn Chinese gold farmers!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have being using Ubuntu since two weeks ago and I do not miss Windows at all. Well, I have to hook my ipod to my parents laptod in order to update my podcast. It is still kind of hard to do that in Ubuntu, and some DVDs do not run on the dvd player I have to download some codec. I know there is a wiki in the Ubuntu forums but I do not have to time to fix that at the moment, and I still have my dvd player so no big deal. Also I think I have fix something with my video card since everytime I am watching a video I have to move the window to see the actual image, and also since I have two video cards for some weird reason they keep changing to see which one is working and which one is not. :P
  • Having two video cards is a blessing in disguise.  It's actually fairly simple to get 99% of what you want to work, and there is plenty of information out there.  In the course of it, however, you'll learn a great deal about how X works on a practical level, which will be VERY useful down the road.
  • I tried to livecd feisty and it gave me errors and couldn't run (both regualr and 64 bit versions).
  • I tried to livecd feisty and it gave me errors and couldn't run (both regualr and 64 bit versions).
    I can't help you if you aren't more specific.
  • Heya Scott, I have a question that you might be able to help me with.

Our laptops at work are US Army property. Everything on them is locked out in XP, and we are not allowed to do anything to make it easier to use, or actually run worth a damn. Here's the question: Can I make a 1 gig usb thumbdrive into a Ubuntu LiveCD? The plan would be to run the LiveCD on these T42 ThinkPad and not use any of the harddrive in the laptop, and if it works worth a damn, install Ubuntu to a 4, or 8, gig flash drive of some sort. That way no matter which laptop I sign out, I'll have an Ubuntu installation that I could plug into it almost effortlessly. The laptops have a 'boot from usb' option, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, having no decent google support on this phone, I can't look to see if there is any way to "tether" an Audiovox PPC 6700 to Ubuntu to have interwebs on said laptop. Anyone know anything about using said phone as a modem in linux?
  • The people on the Ubuntu forums are really nice and helpful. Just my 2 cents.
  • Not terribly long ago I made the switch to Linux and as Rym suggests in this episode I used the "artificial" goal of not rebooting. Dealing with Linux and "forcing" myself to learn how to use it. I did just fine for two weeks and then had to switch back for reasons of Visual Studio...sigh...

I'm all setup to dual boot but it's not worth my time. There is nothing I NEED Linux for but there is stuff I NEED Windows for right now so there's no point in booting to linux for 10 minutes at a time. Oh well, someday I'll switch back and it'll be oh so wonderful.
  • Funny thing is that I did the same thing you guys said on this show when I did the switch not so long ago.
  • As long as people try Linux and do not have misconceptions about it, I'll be happy.
  • edited May 2007
    I LOVED Ubuntu, but as much PC gaming as I do, and as often as I get wild hairs to jump into a random game, it just wasn't worth it. 
    The only things that I really did with Ubuntu were web browsing and using GIMP, and I can browse as easily in xp with FireFox, and I can use the live cd  to boot into Ununtu to use GIMP. 
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • The only things that I really did with Ubuntu were web browsing and using GIMP, and I can browse as easily in xp with FireFox, and I can use the live cd  to boot into Ununtu to use GIMP.
    You can install GIMP on windows.
  • The thing to understand about Linux is that those of us who use it just want you to at least look at it and know that it is there. It is not for everyone. If you are a big PC gamer you are probably better off sticking with Windows.
  • The only reason I haven't moved to linux is that PC gaming is making a comeback. I do have an extra desktop which is getting little to no use. You guys have any ideas on what I should do with it?
  • The only reason I haven't moved to linux is that PC gaming is making a comeback. I do have an extra desktop which is getting little to no use. You guys have any ideas on what I should do with it?
    File server. Then expand to web or mail server and whatever you dare try. You'll learn a lot.
  • So two weeks ago I finally ditched Vista due to a virus that wrecked my system (had everything backed up, so no worries there) and as I had always promised myself that my next laptop OS would be Linux, I installed Linux Mint. Since then its been terrific and with Ubuntu on my desktop, i'm now officially a Linux man.

My question to anyone here is there are other Linux podcasts I should listen to besides the Linux Action Show?
  • I picked up Linux Reality when I started. It's 100 episodes on various topics, some more advanced than the others, or just general information about another distro.
  • Thanks for the recommendation.
    Oh and one other thing, gtkpod isn't working with my iPod...might you know of another program that can manage importing/organizing my iPod?
  • Oh and one other thing, gtkpod isn't working with my iPod...might you know of another program that can manage importing/organizing my iPod?
    I would also love a recommendation on this. Songbird and gtkpod don't work and I have to format the device to delete anything when using Rhythmbox.
  • edited February 2010
    Didn't mean to spam post but merely call attention to Linux people who may not have normally looked at a comp. help thread.

My post is here for any Linux users that might be able to help me. I am sure that if I can just access my dektop again it will be fixable as all I need to do is uninstall the run-it package with my package manage. The problem is getting back in to do that.
    Post edited by ThirdWorldMan on
  • I had a hell of a time getting my iPod classic working. Banshee seems to be a pretty good bet though.
  • My advice on using an iPod with Linux is pretty simple. Don't. Even programs like Banshee, which have iPod sync capabilities, are not perfect. They will just fuck up every once in awhile. It's not worth the pain. Just keep a crappy Windows or Mac around just for iTunes. It can be dual-boot or virtual machine or whatever works.

Another option is to get something that isn't an iPod. Get a sansa or something that can be sync'd no problem.

If you already have an iPod, depending on what iPod you have, you may want to try something like RockBox. You won't have the Apple firmware on your iPod anymore, but you won't have to buy a new player, and syncing will be easy.
  • you may want to try something like RockBox.
    I did this and it was awesome. Rockbox is very sweet.
    You won't have the Apple firmware on your iPod anymore
    Eh... yes you will. It'll dual-boot no problems, it just defaults to the Rockbox firmware. Unless of course they changed this to be able to run Rockbox on the encrypted iPods, which I doubt.
  • Eh... yes you will. It'll dual-boot no problems, it just defaults to the Rockbox firmware. Unless of course they changed this to be able to run Rockbox on the encrypted iPods, which I doubt.
    Did not know this.