This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070522 - Getting Into Role Playing

RymRym
edited May 2007 in Role Playing Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about getting into tabletop role playing games as part of "Getting Into It" week. In the news, we have the Wii/DS game release dates everyone's been waiting for.
Scott's Thing - No Death Contra

Rym's Thing - Knit Atari 2600

Comments

• This is the episode I've been waiting for. I was horribly afraid you would do something like "Getting into German board gaming". I've been wanting to get into this shit for a really, really long time.
  • The Dragon Quest law is indeed a myth.
  • This is the episode I've been waiting for. I was horribly afraid you would do something like "Getting into German board gaming". I've been wanting to get into this shit for a really, really long time.
    We almost did!
  • edited May 2007
    I once saw a Tenchi Muyo role play game book at a Game Daze a few year's back. I should have bought it back then. I look at it the book and one of the people you could be was a Jurai Knight. That was so cool.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • I once saw a Tenchi Muyo role play game book at a Game Daze a few year's back. I should have bought it back then. I look at it the book and one of the people you could be was a Jurai Knight. That was so cool.
    That was probably BESM ( Big Eyes Small Mouth ), the anime-themed RPG. It has expansions for a great many popular anime universes. It's entertaining to read if you are a fan of the anime, but it's not so great to play. The only people who play that kind of game seriously are the scary people who will do the LARP all day at an anime convention.
  • edited May 2007
    I beat Contra way back in the day and I know nothing of this Konami code.

Also, when looking for Nintendo news I suggest you go to press.nintendo.com. My work blocks the domain so it screws up my ability to print Nintendo news as Nintendo releases news AFTER I get to work!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I beat Contra way back in the dayThat makes you fairly hardcore.

Now, beat Guerilla War without cheating, and we'll talk. =P
  • I am unfamilar with Guerilla War.
  • I know nothing of this Konami code.
    BS I say! It's the video game code. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.
  • I know nothing of this Konami code.
    BS I say! It'sthevideo game code. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.
    I played the NES back in the 80's. BEFORE the Internet!

I did not get back into console gaming until recently.
  • I played the NES back in the 80's. BEFORE the Internet!
    Even in those days everybody knew the code.
  • I played the NES back in the 80's. BEFORE the Internet!

Even in those days everybody knew the code.

Well I was not "everybody".
  • edited May 2007
    I know nothing of this Konami code.
    BS I say! It'sthevideo game code. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.
    Start.
    There was a great T-shirt at Target not too long ago that had a pic of the Nintendo controller with the code underneath. The caption said "Even God knows it."

The code also works for most versions of Gradius.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I really enjoyed the episode today. At age 38, I have never played a table top RPG even though I own 2nd and 3rd edition books for Mechwarrior. I thought I might offer another resource to those in the hobby or those interested in learning more about "good role playing" and "bad role playing."

There is a fairly mature podcast (just over one year old) called "Fear the Boot." This is a moderated round table podcast done with high quality audio and hosted by a cast of engaging hosts. In the earlier episodes, they do a long series on role playing mistakes and tips for improvements. I recommend it highly.

The host are also very good about getting back to listeners who email in specific questions. They sure appear to be good guys with something meaningful to say. I would welcome any feedback if folks try that podcast and like it or dislike it.

Once again...thanks to Rym and Scott for another great episode.
  • I finally beat the Contra game on XBLA without the 30 man trick. It took me forever to do it. It's the arcade version of the game and not the NES one.
  • If you want to talk about the theory of what makes RPGs fun you really have to bring up The Forge at some point, a small web forum devoted exclusively to the theory and creation RPGs. In fact, some of the games you like such as Capes and InSpectres got their start there. What I'd really recommend you all read, though, are some of the articles there like "System Does Matter."
  • Scott or Rym mentioned trouble finding RPG podcasts that don't suck, so I'd like to make the following humble podcat recommendations:

Fear the Boot
    Sons of Kryos
    Voice of the Revolution
    All Games Considered
    Dice Make Bonk
  • edited August 2007
    I found an excellent way to get people into role playing games that has worked to great effect. Start them with Mafia/Werewolf, then move into Kobolds Ate My Baby!. They'll recognize similarities, and if you are good at being a humorous "god" in Mafia/Werewolf like my friend was, then they'll feel right at home when you move in to KAMB!. The next logical step seems to be Paranoia, and I'll be sure to report how it goes.
    Post edited by Sail on