This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070528 - Getting Into Programming

RymRym
edited May 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we continue "Getting Into It" week with some talk about computer programming. In the news, it's the eternal struggle between Google and the mainstream news media, and the rise of Facebook.
Scott's Thing - Geek Holiday Calendar

Rym's Thing - Willow Don't Cry

Comments

• You guys never fail at making awesome episodes.
  • Episode didn't get into the "All GeekNights" feed.
    Suckup
    Yes they do. Another. Here's a big one. Two more.
  • edited May 2007
    That's what those things are? All I knew was that every few months or so I would bite down on something that gave me really bad breath for a day.

I would also like to share Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby. Perhaps not for learning how to program efficiently, but it is very, very funny.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think some of you may enjoy this, I wrote it up yesterday:

1100 Reasons programing is better than having a girlfriend

Using the same line over and over again always works!
    Accurate comments make everyone happy.
    Programs exist to serve YOU.
    No one goes to jail when they kill a program.

You can read the rest via the above link.
    Suckup
    Feedback. Nonetheless, I am proven wrong. However, I haven't searched through older episodes.
  • One time I hacked up the most horrible tonsillolith EVER. It was enormous and...spherical. It was the spherical bit that really creeped me out. God, that thing was foul.
  • Thanks Geeknights for the revelation about 1) Learning the underlying principals of a language as opposed to just the language and 2) The idea of learning by needing to achieve something.

I think the thing about the cultures becoming connected via the internet will eventually result in more things like GeekNights that provide information and entertainment for just one culture and can (using the internet) do so with very little requirement for cash flow. I feel strongly that large generalized media companies are going to have to really downscale to keep up in the next few years.
  • How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
  • I don't know if it was because you were too sick to catch it, or just too lazy, but I am going to pick a terminology nit.

C is not a functional programming language. Functional programming is Lisp and such; imperative languages seems to be the class to which C and C-like things generally belong.

Imperative programming
    Functional programming
  • C is not a functional programming language. Functional programming is Lisp and such; imperative languages seems to be the class to which C and C-like things generally belong.
    Oh yeah, I remember that now. It's one of those things I used to know.
  • edited May 2007
    The worst pain I felt in my life was the time is when I had a operation were the doctor had to cut open my inner thigh to get to my heart. The operation didn't hurt at all, but afterwards when the numb medicine were off my inner thigh hurt for about a week and half. If you wanted to know how if felt like getting stab by a knife. That what it felt like to me.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Inner thigh to get to your heart?

Post pix please thanx.
  • edited May 2007
    They do the operation like that so that way they don't have to open up your chest area. Only problem with that is you have to be careful not to open it back up because the doctor said that area of the body connects to an Artery and It you could bleed to death if it open while I sleeping on it. So the doctor said to be careful for the next couple of weeks. The crazy part about it is that your up the hole time their doing the operation and you can turn your head and see your heart on a monitor. Theirs a picture of what happen to me.

null
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • How to Think Like a Computer Scientist

I read the first few chapters last night. Really good book.
  • OMG the President of Tasmania was killed in a coup! I didn't hear that! I'm so suprised he could stop having sex with his cousin long enough.
  • An episode on Willow is a great idea...god I loved that movie. Now that I think of it, I really enjoyed the game as well. The think it was for the NES (maybe the SNES).
  • There were versions for each, and they were substantially different.

It's a great movie, and I don't think you guys talk enough about conventional geek film. I loved the Attack the Gas Station review on Movies You Should See, and the fun with Star Wars a while back. Maybe you could talk about geek science in films, or cult classics that seem to have a special appeal to us: Tron, The Matrix, Blade Runner, Total Recall, Napoleon Dynamite, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Wall, Sin City, Clerks, War Games, Labyrinth, Army of Darkness, The Goonies, Transformers the Movie, Dune, Gattaca, Serenity, Stargate....

I think you might have riffed briefly on a couple of those in various episodes. But maybe if you're looking for Thursday show ideas you could have a month of nostalgic movie episodes.