This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070604 - Media Playing Software

RymRym
edited June 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about media playing software, but not before some lengthy thoughts on the future of technology and society. In the news, ODF is facing stiff resistance from Microsoft and IBM, and Rym's new computer is finally (mostly) functioning.
Scott's Thing - FireGPG

Rym's Thing - The Work Song and The Remix

Comments

• edited June 2007
    The episode in the "All GeekNights" feed is not an episode: It's "The Remix".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The episode in the "All GeekNights" feed is not an episode: It's "The Remix".
    Yeah, I got kinda creeped out when I heard techno instead of Rym speaking loudly.
  • Definitely not what I was expecting.
  • Yeah. Scared the ever living shit out of me.
  • Ok...  Wordpress decided to create additional enlcosures for the things of the day on its own.  I don't have time to find a non-media-file link, so they're deleted until Scott decides to do something about it in Wordpress.  ^_~
  • It's like that in iTunes too, which although is a cool way to spread the techno love, I woulda been kinda ticked if I'd not noticed the tiny track length at home, and had gotten onto the train with only "Hi my name is Ray" for company instead of the new-computer podcastness I was expecting ^_^
  • I removed the extra enclosures. Is it working for people now?
  • Yep, getting geeknights five by five. Top work, lads.
  • I had removed them this morning, but Wordpress kept re-creating them.  I eventually just gave up and deleted the links.
  • Thanks for ruining my ride into work! Just teasing. Thanks for all the effort you two put into the show!
  • Is it working for peoples now?
  • Yes, today's episode is now reduced to only one file in my Juice. I didn't bother to download it again to make sure it's the right one.
  • Don't forget that you can hum it to yourself ^_^
  • If you're interested in people being surrounded by the internet and the stuff you talked about in new let me recommend any recent books by Karl Schroeder or Verner Vinge - particularly Ventus, Lady of Mazes, and Rainbows End.

Oh, and its usually called Ubiquitous Computing and/or Augmented Reality (as opposed to virtual reality).
  • Rym, iTunes is just giving me the remix again. I have two of those now :(
  • I thought you guys were joking when I started listening to it.
  • I thought you guys were joking when I started listening to it.

Yeah, it seemed like a fucked up joke about media players or something at first, then I looked at the info and saw the TotD and figured it was a WordPress/FeedBurner/iTunes error.
  • iTunes will not give me the fixed one.
  • Steve, iTunes is sometimes not nice about the bad feeds. You have to toggle your subscription to the feed, that was how I grabbed the episode.
  • Steve, iTunes is sometimes not nice about the bad feeds. You have to toggle your subscription to the feed, that was how I grabbed the episode.

This makes me think of an issue I have seen with iTunes on my Windows XP box. For some feeds -- Geeknights is one -- iTunes will occasionally decide it needs to re-download all the episodes I have already listened to and deleted. I have found I can get past this by patiently stopping the downloads and deleting the old episodes' slots in whatever feed is gone nuts, or by unsubbing and resubbing the feed.

Do any other GeekNights listeners see this?

• Do any other GeekNights listeners see this?
    This happens all the time, I push refresh and suddenly there are a thousand old episodes of some podcast. This is why I don't have it set to automatically download.
  • As for media organizers a good windows alternative to Amarok is a program called "media monkey". Not as clean as amarok but not many people really care much about how they organise their music.
  • edited June 2007
    I cannot get mplayer to work. It is just displaying a pink screen when I attempt to play something. I do hear the audio though. I have downloaded mplayer for Windows with GUI. I also downloaded the binary codec package for windows and a skin. I was able to change the skin, no problem. I just moved the unziped skin folder to the skins folder in the mplayer folder. Now to get the codecs to work. I unzipped the codec file. I have tried moving this entire unzipped folder to the folder "C:\MPlayer-1.0rc1-gui\MPlayer-1.0rc1-gui\codecs" and have also tried moving just the contents to the folder "C:\MPlayer-1.0rc1-gui\MPlayer-1.0rc1-gui\codecs". The results are still the pink screen with audio when I try to play any xvid, wmv, and mkv file. What am I doing wrong?
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • What am I doing wrong?
    Using Windows. lol
  • edited June 2007
    What am I doing wrong?Using Windows. lol

As you guys have stated before, stick with windows if you want to actually play pc games, e.g., half-life2.
    Post edited by mkg12 on

• As you guys have stated before, stick with windows if you want to actually play pc games, e.g., half-life2.
    Yep, just don't expect to be able to do anything else.

Seriously though, try the non-gui version.
  • I cannot get the command line to stay open for the non-gui version. I try to run mplayer.exe, but it just opens the command line box and it closes by itself within a fraction of a second. I am not sure why it does that. It is the same for mencoder. For the windows command line it stays open, also for the Python command line it stays open.
  • I cannot get the command line to stay open for the non-gui version. I try to run mplayer.exe, but it just opens the command line box and it closes by itself within a fraction of a second. I am not sure why it does that. It is the same for mencoder. For the windows command line it stays open, also for the Python command line it stays open.

Aha. Your mistake is you are double-clicking mplayer.exe and expecting the command line window that appears to stay open. That will not happen. The command line window will close as soon as mplayer is done doing its thing. You need to open a command line by going to run->cmd. Then cd to the directory in which mplayer resides, or add mplayer to your path. Then type mplayer.exe /path/to/video.file
  • Now using the command line, mplayer is giving me a green screen with audio when I attempt to play xvid files. I have the codecs in the codec folder. When I try to play a xvid it does its, "opening video decoder", and does not even show any type of error message. On the other hand, when I try to play wmv files it tells me, "ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmv9dmod.dll." When player wmv files, mplayer gives me the same green screen with audio.
  • Now using the command line, mplayer is giving me a green screen with audio when I attempt to play xvid files. I have the codecs in the codec folder. When I try to play a xvid it does its, "opening video decoder", and does not even show any type of error message. On the other hand, when I try to play wmv files it tells me, "ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec wmv9dmod.dll." When player wmv files, mplayer gives me the same green screen with audio.

Put in this command, and tell me what it says. mplayer.exe -vo helpThis will list all of your available video output methods.