This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070820 - Live Content on the Internet

RymRym
edited August 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss. In the news, IBM strives to bring girls into the sciences, and Skype was taken out by Russian hackers Microsoft patches. Maybe.
Scott's Thing - Homemade Biosphere

Rym's Thing - The Cat With Hands
Rym's GeekBite - Tom Jones

Comments

• The rant about the Subway made me hungry...
  • Question: is it pronounced "davek" or "Dave K"? Opinions?
  • I pronounce it as "fuckwad".
  • edited August 2007
    For time travelers from the future, this is the offending thread that sparked this podcast.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • How creepy is the cat video, because I'm scared to watch...
  • How creepy is the cat video, because I'm scared to watch...
    It's damn creepy, but it's worth watching. Don't be scared.
  • edited August 2007
    I got a mention! I'm flattered :)

You pretty much made all my arguments for me. I responded to all your weak arguments, and they did not hold up. Its radio. It is what it is, and it ain't going away. Legal issues aside, internet radio is just that: radio. As far as the legality, its the cutting edge of the law, and I don't mind being there.

Streaming media is essential for broadcasting, even on the internet. Live content will always be important. Downloadable recordings are important too, but they are the beginning, not the end. How is anyone supposed to "find" you if they first have to select and download you instead of just surfing to you?

Oh, and if you really want a link: http://6thstreetradio.org
    Ogg stream: http://6thstreetradio.org:8080/listen.ogg

Go ahead, load test my server...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That video is insanely weird. Weirdest video I've seen for a long time.
  • edited August 2007
    Go ahead, load test my server...
    Is that a request for DDOS?

::Goes to 4chan::

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure you are delusional. Shameless self plugs are never a good thing...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2007
    EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure you are delusional. Shameless self plugs are never a good thing...
    They asked for it in the show. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.
    Post edited by davek on
  • edited August 2007
    I was in internet radio DJ a couple of years back. I and don't see any advantages of Internet Radio over Podcasting...I was going to say there was one - but I can prove myself wrong on this. The one advantage I was going to say was Call in Shows...but with Skype and skype recording equipment (either software or hardware.) or a service like talkshoe you can do this very easily.

I have participated in a call in segment on Bulbacast with the first method and JC Hutchins did the book three launch call in show on the second one.

Also most other shows do listener feedback in the normal none live way perfect example of this is Slice of Sci-fi/wining it 3D's voicemail shows...or Geek Nights talking about your comments today.

Edit: Ah Tom Jones is a BBC drama...you know I never watched ANY BBC period drama's before...actually I just remembered The Railway Children...and The Borrowers were both set in Victorian Times and I watched both of them as a Child.
    Post edited by ShadedSpriter on