This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070903 - SPAM

RymRym
edited September 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights: Spam.

Scott's News - Digg Picz

Rym's News - Baidu > Google (In China)

Scott's Thing - Soekris Engineering net5501

Rym's Thing - S.P.I.R.I.T.S.

Comments

• Stupid Peope Ignore Rym's Interesting Take on S.P.I.R.I.T.S? :)
  • Stupid Peoples Ignorant Rampage In The Shit
  • The net5501 would not work for a cheap internet station, there is no video out ;p. Also, it does have 2 PCI, but one of them is a MiniPCI (good for putting a wireless card in if you are so inclined). Other then being small, it needs very little power (20W max power supply), which means the little power brick that runs it is not much bigger then the charger plug for the Nintendo DS.

Since it has no video, the console (and the BIOS) run over the serial port. It is easy to get Linux (or in my case FreeBSD) to run the console on that port. It also has a CF slot.

In the end, I setup FreeBSD 6.2 onto the CF card using a PC that had a card reader to do the install from CD. Now I have a full PC based router, that has zero moving parts and uses much much less power then the old 233MHz PC I was using before ^_^.
  • edited September 2007
    Grrrr. Scrym have upset the journalism gods.

I wish I was just an IT guy, so I could sit in front of a computer all day. I'm sick of people thinking that anyone can be a professional journalist. My job takes just as much training as anyone else's. It's not just sitting and writing a few stories.

Yes, that was a stupid ghost story. However: Stupid People Ignore Reporter's Intentionally Teasing Story.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Can you post the link to the Japanese site that links to you and AWO. My Japanese is pretty poor but I find that kind of thing interesting.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2007
    I'm sick of people thinking that anyone can be a professional journalist. My job takes just as much training as anyone else's. It's not just sitting and writing a few stories.
    Oh, I know it.  The problem is that many of your "peers" give the profession a really, really bad name with shoddy reporting and terrible writing.  I suppose I was thinking more of the barely comprehensible articles that often make it to Fark, where you can't quite tell what the event being reported on was even about.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2007
    I'm sick of people thinking that anyone can be a professional journalist. My job takes just as much training as anyone else's. It's not just sitting and writing a few stories.

Oh, I know it. The problem is that many of your "peers" give the profession a really, really bad name with shoddy reporting and terrible writing. I suppose I was thinking more of the barely comprehensible articles that often make it to Fark, where you can't quite tell what the event being reported on was even about.

The journalism gods hear your plea, and have decided to spare your puny mortal life. Now give unto me a burnt offering of tender, juicy, medium-well Porterhouse, and I shall place a rainbow in the sky as a promise to never flood the forum again.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Would have been funny if you had turned around mid-Scott-disgust and offered him a can of SPAM...
  • edited September 2007

Oh, I know it. The problem is that many of your "peers" give the profession a really, really bad name with shoddy reporting and terrible writing. I suppose I was thinking more of the barely comprehensible articles that often make it to Fark, where you can't quite tell what the event being reported on was even about.

The journalism gods hear your plea, and have decided to spare your puny mortal life. Now give unto me a burnt offering of tender, juicy, medium-well Porterhouse, and I shall place a rainbow in the sky as a promise to never flood the forum again.
    If I were God, I would reset the steak cooking parameters so that our current "rare" would be the new "well done." Then, I'd order my steak rare.

No steak should ever be cooked above medium-rare.

EDIT: Also, SPAM straight out of the can is actually quite tasty, if you have crackers to go with it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I believe that's called "moo". Personally, I like my steaks non-moo'ing. It annoys me when the steak tries to get away.
  • If I were God, I would reset the steak cooking parameters so that our current "rare" would be the new "well done." Then, I'd order my steak rare.
    Even then, the steak would come well done.
  • I have 3 personal email accounts. I use Hotmail for my spam for whenever I sign up for a not so trustworthy website. I use Yahoo for websites I frequent and for online bills. Gmail is my very personal account for my friends and cooler websites like Geeknights. ^_~

It's amazing how much spam I get in Hotmail and Yahoo, however Yahoo is pretty decent is putting everything the Bulk folder. For Gmail, I rarely see spam at all.

BTW, I'm a spicy spam lover. I was raised on spam, and even though I really don't eat it that much anymore, I like to cook my spam to be crispy with over easy eggs over rice. Yum.
  • I have 3 personal email accounts. I use Hotmail for my spam for whenever I sign up for a not so trustworthy website. I use Yahoo for websites I frequent and for online bills. Gmail is my very personal account for my friends and cooler websites like Geeknights. ^_~
    I have three too. Pretty much arranged the same way. One for places like online stores that will probably result in spam.

I used to have "robert@robertrender.com" when I had my Westlaw website. Now I no longer have the site, and they don't want to let me use "robertrender.com" anymore. It's the sort of thing that makes you mad when you think about it, but it's not important enought to really do anything about.
  • BTW, I'm a spicy spam lover. I was raised on spam, and even though I really don't eat it that much anymore, I like to cook my spam to be crispy with over easy eggs over rice. Yum.
    I remember eating spam and eggs as a child but now when I look at spam I don't have the desire to eat it anymore. I rather have bacon instead.
  • Is Spam like any canned potted meat? If so, Spam is awesome, and it would be good in a sandwich with Mayo and sliced cheese.