This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070906 - Air Hockey!

RymRym
edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we take Air Hockey a little too seriously. In the news, Rym has a geekback, and Scott talks about scientific journals and the Creative Commons.
Scott's Thing - Violin Hip Hop

Rym's Thing - Burning Man Art

Comments

• I've never been personally, but I know many people who go to Burning Man every year and report nothing but awesome. Definitely something to put on the to-do list.
  • Sigh..I was once like Rym. I was the ultimate air hockey champ in my crew. Then my friend Jonae moved from Cali to Maryland and stole my title. So now every time we go to Springfield mall it's a challenge. It can get dangerous though. I injured my friend Cess in table hockey. Ever get a puck bruise?

Well Scrym, If I ever see you in an arcade I can guarantee a challenge. If Jonae is with me I'm calling a mini tourney!
  • Springfield mall
    Springfield Mall in Nova? Why would anyone go there? It's pretty much just an MS-13 mall now...
  • By Nova you mean Northern Virginia? What a MS-13 mall?

It has gone down a bit because Anime FX has left but they still have some of my other fave spots. I can still get my anime figures, imports, manga and anime there.

Plus compared to PG county and DC it's a way better mall unless you're willing to travel to Montgomery county or have a car to get to Arundel.
  • I'll be training Rym. We're playing at PAX '08.

Yeah. This is what I mean by MS-13. I was never really a mall guy, but I much prefer Tysons or Fair Oaks, people get shot at Springfield all the time.
    Yeah. This is what I mean byMS-13. I was never really a mall guy, but I much prefer Tysons or Fair Oaks, people get shot at Springfield all the time.
    Never heard of or noticed it. I don't go that often like before and it probably changed more since. I was never up on that type of knowledge outside some parts of PG county.

If Tysons Corner have equivalents to Fancy World, Time Out and Anime FX I'm sold on going.
  • This is a bit off topic, but it's cool enough to bears sharing.

Now you can call a phone number and listen to Geeknights from anywhere (assuming you have a phone of some sort).

+1 (360) 227-5648

Try it. Its pretty nifty.
  • This is a bit off topic, but it's cool enough to bears sharing.

Now you can call a phone number and listen to Geeknights from anywhere (assuming you have a phone of some sort).

+1 (360) 227-5648

Try it. Its pretty nifty.
    Whoa! This is weird and Scott sounds like a little kid. It might just be my phone. Nice and useful if there's no internet at all and nothing to entertain you.
  • Who set up the phone thing and where?
  • edited September 2007
    ...and why?

Also, Canadians DO say EH... A LOT. I've got pure Ontari...an... in my blood, and I abuse the word to the point of insanity without effort.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • edited September 2007

I'll be training Rym. We're playing at PAX '08.

There's an idea. Maybe we should suggest to PAX having an air hockey machine. If not, there is a Gameworks across the street to play.

BTW 360 is a Washington area code. Weird.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • There's an idea. Maybe we should suggest to PAX having an air hockey tournament.

• Ooh. Better idea. There is still tons of space that wasn't used at the Convention center as well.
  • Also, Canadians DO say EH... A LOT. I've got pure Ontari...an... in my blood, and I abuse the word to the point of insanity without effort.
    I grew up so close to the border that I use a lot of Canadian vowel nullification. The wife makes fun of when I say "roof," because I say "ruff." The word "room" becomes "rum." And yes, I've been known to throw an occasional "eh" into conversation.
  • The best game of air hockey I ever played was on a cruise ship.

In fact, I think all air hockey tables should have some sort of random rocking feature built in.
  • In fact, I think all air hockey tables should have some sort of random rocking feature built in.
    Honestly, we play fast enough that such a thing would have little to no impact on the game. =P
  • Fast play = puck bruises
  • There's an idea. Maybe we should suggest to PAX having an air hockeytournament.

I was going to say!
  • You guys should talk to the Katsucon staff about getting an air hockey table in the game room.
  • You guys should talk to the Katsucon staff about getting an air hockey table in the game room.
    Genius.
  • AN Air Hockey table?

We'd never see it. Or we could just muscle fools.
  • I think it's possible.
  • Genius.
    I thought so, considering how they seem to be able to get a lot of arcade cabinets. Plus there seemed to be a lot of extra room near your booth... especially where that one game was with all the banging.
  • edited September 2007
    Ah, I was quite the air hockey player back in the Army... We lost several pucks (and broke a few) during our tournaments.

It was not uncommon to have our pucks fly off of the table and embed themselves in walls... Those were the days!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited September 2007
    I love playing Air Hockey with my sister and just sending the puck straight at her, making her scream and pull away. I always win. :P

Now, my Dad and my cousins are pretty good. I love watching them play cause they both do awesome trick shots, and everyone in the arcade crowds around them just to watch.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited September 2007
    Who set up the phone thing and where?
    It's a service called Podlinez.

http://www.podlinez.com/index.php
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Who set up the phone thing and where?
    It's a service called Podlinez.

http://www.podlinez.com/index.php
    Hmmm. I thought it was www.phonecasting.com. Are they perhaps the same thing?