This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070910 - Tech News Roundup

RymRym
edited September 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, it's a Tech News Roundup! We cover everything interesting from the last several weeks in the world of technology. Instead of the "news" news, Scott has a geekbite and Rym has a geekback.
Scott's Thing - Solar Plane

Rym's Thing - Internet People

Comments

• I really like the album artwork =D
    OMG it finally works.
  • OMG it finally works.I'm using EasyTag...
    I like the art enough that I'm going to actually write a stupid id3 thing, simply for the fact that I HATE using a GUI and all of the command line editors like to make broken id3s.
    Agreed. I glanced at my iPod and did a double take. I was surprised to see albumn art. Very nice touch. ^_^
  • I'm pretty sure that I read or heard that the iTunes WiFi Store does in fact allow you to download podcasts through WiFi. I can't see no technical reason why it can't be done.
  • I'm pretty sure that I read or heard that the iTunes WiFi Store does in fact allow you to download podcasts through WiFi. I can't see no technical reason why it can't be done.
    There is no technical reason it can't be done. That's why it is frustrating, and this is why open source is awesome. We live in a time where electronic devices are so generic that they have multiple purposes. Gone are the days where you have a microchip that does a single thing, we now have general purpose CPUs that can be programmed by software to do almost anything. Thus it is increasingly frustrating when we have more and more electronic devices which are capable of doing so many things, however they do not have the software available to do all of those things.

It all ties back into the DRM issue as well. Your computer is fully capable of copying the music, but the presence or lack of software prevents it from happening. The iPhone, iPod Touch, and the Zune are all capable of being podcatchers, PDAs, etc. but the manufacturers of those devices do not write software which allows the hardware to be used to its full potential. Even the Wii and DS have this problem with Nintendo not making games that fulfill the potential of the hardware. This is why you have people installing Linux on iPods and such.

Thus is the frustration of the tech geek. We walk around carrying a fistfull of gadgets that contain hardware capable of performing tasks A-Z, but one performs A, one B, one C, one D through Q, one L through V, and one W through X. None of the devices do Y or Z, which is what you want to do most. It sucks.
  • edited September 2007
    I agree with Darreil. From what I've heard, the iPod Touch, along with the iPhone, will allow for direct download of both audio and video podcast. However we won't know for sure until either; A)Apple explicitly announces that it does this function, or B) Sept 28th comes and someone tries it and reports back to the forum. Granted at that point Scott and Rym will already know as it will show up in the download specs for the feed.

I do agree that 99 cent for the ability to use a song I already own as a ring tone is both incredibly brilliant marketing ploy and also incredibly annoying from a DRM rights issue.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The Numa Numa thing in the Internet People is from a flash thing someone did where he enters American Idol or something. It's probably on newgrounds. Try this.

TV Listings: http://titantv.com/quickguide/quickguide.aspx
    I'm not sure if it outputs XML but it's fairly useful for checking times.
  • For a cop-out, you guys went far too long.
  • edited September 2007
    I use TVGuide.com constantly. I link to it from my Google homepage, and I have my local TV settings saved and several filters in place to show my favorite channels and movies. I also use the TVGuide.com RSS feed directly to my homepage to show what's on my favorite six or so channels.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I watched the internet people video...

Most of it was stuff which is less than 3 years old...and a lot of it was this year (chocolate rain, dick in a box, etc.) only thing nostalgic I saw in it was Rocketboom - but that was because I stopped watching it after it changed the host...and I believe that was meant to be Amanda in the video.
  • I don't agree with Scrym that Gmail is the best email solution period. If you have several email accounts like I do, Gmail is not sufficient.

I have a very good IMAP account at the university. I can check my mail with the web interface everywhere, but it's far easier to use a mail client. I agree that the IMAP account alone could be replaced by Gmail, but I also have to check several other POP accounts regularly (*). My beloved Thunderbird email client checks every account, filters spam and transfers mail from the POP accounts to the appropriate folders on the IMAP account making old messages available to me when I'm not at home. I also need to send mail from the different accounts (official club mail), which Thunderbird handles nicely.

(*) I'm responsible for the official mail accounts for a couple of clubs. I also have ISP and web hotel messages, and I can't redirect the mail at the server side for all those accounts.

I actually have a grudge against Gmail. I got an account just to check it out, but have so far only used it to send test mail back and forth between my own accounts. I have never given the address to anybody else, but I still get about 100 spam mails per day, much, much more than any other of my accounts. Gmail filter most of them nicely, BUT WHERE THE HELL DID THE SPAMMERS GET THAT ADDRESS?! It must have leaked out of Gmail somehow, because my user name is not easy to guess for the spam bots.
  • I have a very good IMAP account at the university. I can check my mail with the web interface everywhere, but it's far easier to use a mail client. I agree that the IMAP account alone could be replaced by Gmail, but I also have to check several other POP accounts regularly (*). My beloved Thunderbird email client checks every account, filters spam and transfers mail from the POP accounts to the appropriate folders on the IMAP account making old messages available to me when I'm not at home. I also need to send mail from the different accounts (official club mail), which Thunderbird handles nicely.Why do you bother with all of those accounts?  The point of gmail is that you only need one account.  Also, you can trivially have all of those accounts simply forward to gmail, where they will be stored and categorized.
    If you have several email accounts like I do, Gmail is not sufficient.Again, forwarding.  Trivial to set up.
    HERE THE HELL DID THE SPAMMERS GET THAT ADDRESS?! It must have leaked out of Gmail somehow, because my user name is not easy to guess for the spam bots.First, if your user name appears anywhere else on the Internet, it's likely part of the spam bot lexicon.  Second, it's basically free to spam every single combination of email address possible per domain.  It's highly unlikely that Google "leaked" your address.

Also, why on earth would you care how much spam an account gets if it's all blocked?  It doesn't affect you if you never see it.
  • I can't redirect the mail at the server side for all those accounts.
    All email can be redirected.  If it can't, then the service you're using is extremely broken, or else you simply don't know how to do it...
  • Plus, you can have GMail check any POP account. I'm not sure about IMAP, tho...
  • Plus, you can have GMail check any POP account. I'm not sure about IMAP, tho...
    Yeah, you're right, I just found out. That function was not activated during the beta testing period when I got my Gmail account. I really haven't bothered to check for new features because my IMAP solution suits me just fine. Gmail can not check IMAP accounts, so I would have to leave my current account completely if I move to Gmail (which isn't a problem since I've been using an alias for the last three years anyway).
    All email can be redirected.  If it can't, then the service you're using is extremely broken, or else you simply don't know how to do it...
    It is sadly primitive. We are talking about free services with very poor functionality. I would have changed to other providers long ago if it wasn't for the fact that the current addresses at the free service providers are well established. I won't change unless the small organizations for which I administer mail and homepages decide to spend money on real domain names and proper providers.
    Also, why on earth would you care how much spam an account gets if it's all blocked?  It doesn't affect you if you never see it.
    Some spam do come through, and some important mails are filtered as spam. Every week I check through the received spam from all the accounts (which isn't more than about 50 on a bad week) to check if there is something important hidden among the garbage, and about once a month there is. With up to 100 spam mails a day that is like looking for a needle in a haystack (which can be done, but is just too much hassle). Unlike Rym I can't ignore those mails.

Conclusion:
    Since I learned today that Gmail can check other POP accounts, and because I will lose my IMAP account in a not so distant future, I will probably move to Gmail unless something better comes along. I did a search and found out that my Gmail user name is used quite often in Spanish speaking countries (I would never have guessed that), which could explain why the spam bots have tried that user name at Gmail. I have now made a new account with a less obvious user name. If that isn't flooded with spam in a few weeks, I will seriously consider moving.
  • I have had a gmail account since the private beta days and I have never received spam on it.
    OMG it finally works.
    Hey, you should ask the artist if they want to make an image for our Steam Community Group...~_^
  • I don't use iTunes or anything that shows album art to play music. Can someone provide a link?
  • @ Neito, the album art work is the same as the background images on the preview site. Only they're black and a bit bigger attached to the songs. It's very awesome.