This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071008 - Printers

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, Scott is sick and I'm tired, so we talk about printers. In the news, the RIAA won a jury trial, and BIOS should be dead.
Scott's Thing - Flight of the X-Wing

Rym's Thing - Fark: The Board Meeting

Comments

• *looks at his old HP Deskjet 840C.* It still serves me well :D And damn he who wishes to print with it in colour! It sucks. When the colour runs out, it doesn't print, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Either way, awesome episode. Learned a lot. And that Asus P5E3 Deluxe looks neat.
  • Wait a minute, Scott is sick? I thought that didn't happen? Scott had a superior immune system that allowed him to be sickness free. (ten to one odds that Scott mentions "he never gets sick" in the next month or this thread!)
  • Also note, at some points in the episode Scott is talking, and you can hear Rym sniff a bit. Seems like Rym has a minor cold.
  • ems like Rym has a minor cold.It's autumn.  I'm allergic to nearly every manner of fungus that appears in the autumn, and I hadn't yet begun taking allergy medicine. ^_~
    It doesn't help that I had exactly what Scott now has last week.
  • Don't be fooled. While it may seem like I am getting sick often, that is not the case. I'm sick maybe once or twice a year at most. It's just so rare, that we make a big deal about it, and you notice it. Meanwhile, Rym is sick pretty much constantly. He might have to edit out my sniffle a few times a year, he edits out his own phlem hacking four days a week, every week.
  • Oh yes! *hits forehead* Forgot Rym was allergic to all kinds of stuff. I'm not allergic to anything (afaik), and neither anyone else in the house. So I didn't consider that. Sorry. But yeeh, I too get sick only once or twice a year. But if I get sick, it's horrible! 2-3 days nothing besides sleep and orange juice (and the occasional ibuproven) will save me. Unless it's a horrible sickness.
  • clxclx
    edited October 2007
    Rym, you are ALWAYS coughing and clearing your throat while Scott is talking. Sounds like you are ill most the time. :(

(Most being maybe 2 times a week)

[Edit] Mmmm... shows just how long passes between me reading a thread, then replying to it. My bad. [/Edit]
    Post edited by clx on
  • Heh..  I just have pretty bad allergies.  You should have seen me as a child, before I received the shot treatment. ^_~
  • If anyone does a lot of printing and doesn't like getting stung for cartridges you can have a look at one of these.
  • edited October 2007
    *Pauses Episode* This should be amusing.*Resumes Episode*

Scott's description of xerographic printing isn't horrid. Toner Particles aren't quite small enough for most consumer printers to be a major health hazard. High-end devices do have much finer particles, but most people never go anywhere near then.

Photo Printers, most of them, are just inkjet printers.

Scott, the cartridges are not rip-offs. It's part of the design to not make you have to get your printer repaired. Your Inkjet printer, without cartridges, is a servo motor and an image processor. The actual print head is stored in the catridge.

Printers, especially high end printers, need to have an environmental control over the room that the printer is running in. Heat, Cold, Humidity, and dryness can all fuck up a printer.

Rym, what device where they trying to put in? There's a good chance I've worked on the device.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • Scott, the cartridges are not rip-offs. It's part of the design to not make you have to get your printer repaired. Your Inkjet printer, without cartridges, is a servo motor and an image processor. The actual print head is stored in the catridge.
    Then how come I can get a 3rd party cartridge that works perfectly, yet is 1/10th the price?  How come the printer companies keep adding DRM to prevent me from using 3rd party carts?  ^_~
  • Scott, the cartridges are not rip-offs. It's part of the design to not make you have to get your printer repaired. Your Inkjet printer, without cartridges, is a servo motor and an image processor. The actual print head is stored in the catridge.Then how come I can get a 3rd party cartridge that works perfectly, yet is 1/10th the price? How come the printer companies keep adding DRM to prevent me from using 3rd party carts? ^_~Fair enough, I overstated my point. But that is one of the reasons that cartridges are so expensive for consumer devices, the print head is stored in the cartridge instead of the printer itself.
  • Fair enough, I overstated my point. But that is one of the reasons that cartridges are so expensive for consumer devices, the print head is stored in the cartridge instead of the printer itself.
    Yes, this is the reason that cartridges cost $10 instead of 50 cents. It is not the reason they cost $45 instead of $10.
  • I use a newer HP printer with 6 ink cartridges. I can buy a multi-pack at Staples with all six plus a ton of photo paper for about $35. Staples also gives me about $3 off for every empty cartridge I bring back. 6x$3=$18, $35-$18=$17, $17/6= (about)$2.80 per cartridge.
  • This was a surprisingly enlightening episode eventhough the topic would have otherwise appeared dull.  Once you laid out the facts, I realised I really didn't use colour ink any more (after high school and the occasional University assignment which required graphic depictions of statistics and results.
    I think my next buy will be a personal black ink laser printer for myself (after I decide on the parts for a new desktop and figure out whether to opt for an AMD Opteron or Intel Quad core).

Photo Printers, most of them, are just inkjet printers.
    Scott, the cartridges are not rip-offs. It's part of the design to not make you have to get your printer repaired. Your Inkjet printer, without cartridges, is a servo motor and an image processor. The actual print head is stored in the catridge.

I agree with Pilitus on the point of photo printers and in addition, if we're talking about the mini phot printers that all the printer and camera companies now try to sell, the cartridges are even more expensive than your regular cartridge to the point where it costs 60-80c per photo print, more expensive than what it costs to print them at stores in the mall.

However, the cartidges are damn well rip offs.  Not all cartridges have print heads on the cartridge, my old Canon printer's head was inside the printer and it worked fine for 5 years till my family decided they wanted a multifunction device so they could get rid of the scanner and fax.  In the 5 years I used the Canon, I only bought a new cartridge twice, for the remaining time I filled the sponge with ink that I bought from a 3rd party source.

• I'm like Rym. I have awful allergies twice a year and get colds and flus very often. When it was younger, it was much worse. I had the stomach flu 2-3 times a year until I was 12 or 13.
  • You forgot the "daisy wheel" printer. I remember listening to my new El Debarge audio cassette while printing on my new daisy wheel printer. I was the envy of the whole neighborhood.
  • You forgot the "daisy wheel" printer. I remember listening to my new El Debarge audio cassette while printing on my new daisy wheel printer. I was the envy of the whole neighborhood.
    Dude, daisy wheel printers where the shit. I had one on my "electronic typewriter/word processor".
  • I recall writing a couple high school papers on a word processing machine in the early 90's.
  • edited October 2007
    Yup. I remember those machines. We had a "Xerox Memory Writer" that displayed about 5 words before it would type them, allowing you to make corrections before the word was typed. Brother made some cheap dot-matrix typewriters that were the same idea.

And by the way... my employer still uses a dot matrix printer. We have to print forms in quadruplicate with each copy being a specific color. The paper must be able to duplicate signatures as well. It's just as easy to do this with the dot matrix.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Epson LX 300 is the best printer ever! My father bought it back in 97 and is still working

It is the best matricial printer ever, Also its price still around the 200 dollars in most places after 10 years.
  • I've been rearranging my room, and I want to move my printers away from my computer and set them up with a wireless adapter of sorts. Since I don't want to have a second computer on all the time just for that. Anyone know of any good wireless adapters for this?
  • I've been rearranging my room, and I want to move my printers away from my computer and set them up with a wireless adapter of sorts. Since I don't want to have a second computer on all the time just for that. Anyone know of any good wireless adapters for this?
    Maybe not this exact product, but something similar.
  • Yeah, that's basically what I want, just not as expensive.