This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071017 - Questions Week: Anime Manga Comics

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we continue Questions Week with the night of anime, manga, and comics. Of course, this is only half of the story, since we have a solid extra hour of answers which will be released at some point in the future.

Comments

• edited October 2007
    "With ink on paper, with oil on canvas, with, limestone on...chisel..."
    Thanks Scott, I lold hard ^_^
    Post edited by ShakingSpirit on
  • In re. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray vs DVD, I'm pretty much in the same camp. The reason it came to mind was the new release of the Wings of Honneamise from Bandai. It includes a standard DVD, and your choice of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. All for the standard exorbitant Bandai cost (60 bucks if I remember correctly).

I don't really see the lines in anime looking better in High Def than in standard DVD. Considering that there's usually squat in terms of extras on the disk, you aren't going to get anything out of the extra space on the disk. The only real benefit I can see out of it is the ability to put more episodes on one disk without compromising the animation quality. You could maybe have all of an 8 DVD disk series on one Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disk. Now, whether or not you'd actually see a large number of episodes per disk is probably another conversation.
  • In re. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray vs DVD, I'm pretty much in the same camp. The reason it came to mind was the new release of the Wings of Honneamise from Bandai. It includes a standard DVD, and your choice of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. All for the standard exorbitant Bandai cost (60 bucks if I remember correctly).
    That's Bandai Visual, not Bandai. There's a difference.
  • I did a search for Vertical Incorporated, and all I found was a PR site and some other unrelated nonsense. Do you guys know where I can get more info about them?
  • I did a search for Vertical Incorporated, and all I found was a PR site and some other unrelated nonsense. Do you guys know where I can get more info about them?
    http://www.vertical-inc.com/
  • http://www.vertical-inc.com/Many thanks. I found that URL earlier, but it didn't respond the first time. I wrongly assumed it was just internet driftwood that Google had not yet cleaned from its results.
  • edited October 2007
    The problem with the SDF-1 Macross is that it is too slow for an actual fight. However, you can use the special energy shields that move from all over the place to protect yourself but you can use all the Valkyrie to defend yourself. Scott would have had it right if he would have said "I want the Macross with the Sharon Apple AI (but with out the crazy)". Otherwise he would have had to handle all the bridge bunnies :P
    I personally would go for the Black Getter :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I personally would go for the Black Getter :D
    Such a bad choice. Sure, it is powerful, but how useful in real life? Mazinger is more useful because you can fly out of it in the little jet. Zeta Gundam is also more useful because it transforms into a plane-like thing. Black Getter is good in a fight, but in real life, what fighting are you going to do?
  • You see, a real man does not run from a fight, not to say that Koji Kabuto is not a real man but you know what I mean.
    Also the Getter Robo can be use for a bunch of things besides beating up aliens, it can fly around the world in 10 mins, it can go to outer space. The biggest problem would be where to park it, but all giant robots suffer that problem, even Zeta Gundam plane form would have to need a place bigger than your average car. I can just leave my getter in any parkig lot from any mall and that's it. 
  • The best robot too have is obviously a Tachikoma.
    You can drive it wherever because they are extremely mobile, and it is smart enough to fix itself and play vidjegames.
  • Also the Getter Robo can be use for a bunch of things besides beating up aliens, it can fly around the world in 10 mins, it can go to outer space. The biggest problem would be where to park it, but all giant robots suffer that problem, even Zeta Gundam plane form would have to need a place bigger than your average car. I can just leave my getter in any parkig lot from any mall and that's it.
    Hence, the SDF-1. It comes with Valkyries, but is also a parking lot.
  • Obviously, the proper answer is to just use Gurren-Lagann. Park the Gurren in a desert somewhere, and just take the Lagann with you shopping. It's small enough that you could just walk into a store riding it.
    Plus, drills make everything 50% more awesome. This is a fact of mecha anime.
  • Also the Getter Robo can be use for a bunch of things besides beating up aliens, it can fly around the world in 10 mins, it can go to outer space. The biggest problem would be where to park it, but all giant robots suffer that problem, even Zeta Gundam plane form would have to need a place bigger than your average car. I can just leave my getter in any parkig lot from any mall and that's it.Hence, the SDF-1. It comes with Valkyries, but is also a parking lot.

Touché my friend, touché.
  • It's been a while, but won't you need pilots for those Valkyries? I can see maybe running SDF-1 by yourself, but not all the Valkyries flying around too.
  • It's been a while, but won't you need pilots for those Valkyries? I can see maybe running SDF-1 by yourself, but not all the Valkyries flying around too.

That is why you need the Sharon Apple A.I.
    I think you people don't seem to understand. The question was which one would I want. It doesn't say anything about having to fight, having to defend myself. I assume that everything about this world will be the same, except I have the mecha. So, if I had the SDF-1, who needs to fly all the Valkyries at once? They're all mine. I fly one at a time. I could spend the rest of my life just exploring the ship and flying around the world. Who needs a crew? Who needs to fight? Granted if I wanted to, I don't think I'd have any problem getting a crew together.
  • I literally arm pumped and was trembling with the whole TriGun final thoughts. CAN NOT WAIT

Also, it'd make a good anniversary special - LONG SHOW want!
  • I agree with you guys about Bob and George. It is the worst sprite comic, and the worst comic in general, ever.
    That that shit is popular, and Primer Chronicals and Kidd Radd weren't, makes me want to kill.