This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071022 - A Fresh Install

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss how we handle fresh installs of Windows, Linux, and OSX: what applications we install first, what we update in what order, etc... In the news, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon is out, and Radiohead takes a chance.
Scott's Thing - The Perfect Life

Rym's Thing - How to Drive a Graphic Designer Mad

Comments

• No feed update?
  • Its not on the main page.
  • Argh, now I want a drinking horn.. and a utilikilt.
  • Enough beer to kill a man?  Lies, methinks.
  • Well that depends on the strength and how fast its drunk. a few drops of pure alcohol will kill you pretty fast.
  • Scott Tennorman Must Die is the best fuckin' episode EVER. EVERRRRRRRRRR.

Also, it was indeed Radiohead.
  • I hunted long and hard for a good bluetooth mouse to use with my mac and never found one. The Logitech V270 is passable.
  • You said that there's no good IM client for windows... do you know about Miranda? It's very customizable and has a ton of plugins that do just about anything you could possibly want (from an IM client, anyway).
  • Well that depends on the strength and how fast its drunk. a few drops of pure alcohol will kill you pretty fast.No, it won't.  Everclear is 190 proof, or 95% alcohol.  That's about 2.5X most hard alcohols, e.g. vodka, rum, tequila, etc.  So one shot of everclear will equate to two-three shots of regular alcohol.  Definitely not good for you, but a couple drops won't kill you.  Beer, by contrast, is generally 8-15 proof.
  • Well that depends on the strength and how fast its drunk. a few drops of pure alcohol will kill you pretty fast.
    No, it won't.Everclearis 190 proof, or 95% alcohol. That's about 2.5X most hard alcohols, e.g. vodka, rum, tequila, etc. So one shot of everclear will equate to two-three shots of regular alcohol. Definitely not good for you, but a couple drops won't kill you. Beer, by contrast, is generally 8-15 proof.Trust me from experience, don't fuck with pure everclear ~_^
  • Trust me from experience, don't fuck with pure everclear ~_^
    They make impure everclear?
    They make impure everclear?
    The bottle specifically says do not drink straight, always mix it with something. Shots of everclear are not good ideas. Unless you want to play Russian roulette by getting six shot glasses and filling 5 with vodka and one with everclear. Place them on a lazy susan and spin. Drink the glass which stops in front of you...
    Ya gotta toughen up, boy.  This is Wisconsin, we drink more brandy than any other country.
  • You're still drinking the same amount of everclear whether it's mixed or not. It might be totally gross, but there's no actual difference in drinking a shot of everclear versus drinking a shot of everclear mixed with grocery store fruit punch.
  • You're still drinking the same amount of everclear whether it's mixed or not. It might be totally gross, but there's no actual difference in drinking a shot of everclear versus drinking a shot of everclear mixed with grocery store fruit punch.
    It depends on the ratio of alcohol to mixer. If you have the same volume of liquid in the drinks, you usually will have less alcohol in the mixed drink than opposed to the straight everclear drink.
    You're right, but then you have to drink a glass of grocery store fruit punch when you could be drinking another shot of everclear.  x_x
  • The LD50 of ethanol (administered orally to a rat) is 7.06 g/kg of body mass. If we have a population of 75 kg individuals, it would take a dosage of 529.5 g administered to each to kill half of them. 529.5 grams of ethanol at STP has a volume of 671.1 mL (specific gravity of 0.789). A shot of liquour is typically 50 mL in volume, and may be about 40% alcohol by volume. A shot of hard liquour therefore contains about 20 mL of pure ethanol. It'd take about 35 shots of 80 proof liquor, or about 14 shots of pure ethanol, to kill 50% of a population comprised of 75 kg individuals.

So no, a few drops of pure ethanol will NOT kill you.
  • I think the point is this. In your left hand you have a shot of everclear. In your right hand you have a tall glass. The tall glass contains a shot of everclear, but also fruit juice. Both will drunkify you effectively equally.
  • edited October 2007
    Calculations of how much alcohol it takes to kill a human...
    14 shots of pure ethanol.All taken in a relatively short time period. God, I love this place.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • So no, a few drops of pure ethanol will NOT kill you.
    How about pure nicotine? Isn't that a field expedient poison or something of the sort? Would it kill the superbug?
  • edited October 2007
    Trust me from experience, don't fuck with pure everclear ~_^

Ya gotta toughen up, boy. This is Wisconsin, we drink more brandy than any othercountry.

I like how the picture of the discovery of Wisconsin on Wikipedia has some guy in a pimp coat firing pistols into the air.

Will also try out Miranda, seems a big improvement from the last time I tried it.
    [Edit] No Linux support, no use.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It's very customizable and has a ton of plugins that do just about anything you could possibly want (from an IM client, anyway).
    And it's a general pain to set up since it comes with only basic AIM/MSN/ICQ/Yahoo messenger protocols. (last time I tried) give me Trillian Astra any day for Windows.
  • You guys need the awesomeness that is Pidgin.  Adium is the best IM client, but it's Mac-only.
  • You guys need the awesomeness that isPidgin. Adium is the best IM client, but it's Mac-only.

I mentioned Pidgin. It sucks balls.
  • You guys need the awesomeness that is Pidgin. Adium is the best IM client, but it's Mac-only.

I agree, it sucks. Still need to dive into a proper replacement for Astra in Linux... *tries wine*
  • edited October 2007
    I like Pidgin. I tried Kopete and didn't find any significant advantages.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2007
    Still need to dive into a proper replacement for Astra in Linux... *tries wine*
    Grrr...Is Astra NEVER coming out? They announced it so long ago and Trillian 3.1 is becoming more old and busted everyday.
    Post edited by raquor on
  • I don't really need my IM client to do any more than Pidgin does.  What else are you guys looking for?
  • Scrym, I am begging you. Go download Paranoid Android by Radiohead. I can't believe you haven't gotten into these Albions. They are widely regarded as the most influential, progressive band since Nirvana.
  • Scrym, I am begging you. Go download Paranoid Android by Radiohead. I can't believe you haven't gotten into these Albions. They are widely regarded as the most influential, progressive band since Nirvana.
    I proudly bought their most recent album for $0.00, and I must say, I was not impressed. Although, I don't like Nirvana either.