This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071023 - Apples to Apples

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Board Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we review the fantastic Apples to Apples. In the news, we have a Nintendo news roundup, and World of Warcraft players outnumber farmers (and not the gold kind).
Scott's Thing - And Thus a Criminal Achieves Epic Failure

Rym's Thing - The '90s Called: They Want Their List Back

Comments

• Great episode. I love playing Apples to Apples. It is honestly about playing to the judge (green card holder). I can't remember a time where I didn't enjoy playing this game. Last time I played it, we had around 10 people and oh mans, it was awesome. One of my favorite things about the game is when judges have it down to just 2 cards to choose from, and it's a really hard decision. If I recall, it was down to the adjective "Smart" and the final two cards were "Batman" and "Darth Vader". We had a good 10 minute debate on who was better. Even though I know deep down, I would have chosen Batman, I was pushing for Darth Vader because I submitted him. The arguments that ensued were hilarious. In the end, Batman won, but I debated the shit out of Darth Vader saying "Man, all Darth Vader had to do was force chose Batman and he'd be done," or "Batman can't dodge a light saber!"

As for different ways of playing it, when submitting the red cards, the judge normally counts down around 5 seconds and if a person can't lay down a card, they can't participate that round. Also that's an interesting way of playing, with having the red card holders having to sell their cards. Doesn't sound that fun, even though it reminds me of "Big Idea" which I greatly enjoy, as long as you have people who know how to sell their ideas. Have you (Scrym) played this game? If so, that would be another good game to do an episode about, well maybe not a whole episode, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
  • edited October 2007
    Is this the game you are talking about? We've never played it, but I will attempt to buy it now just bought it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Isthis the gameyou are talking about? We've never played it, but I will attempt to buy it now just bought it.
  • I'm at work, so unfortunately the site is blocked. >.< However, the gist of the game is, you're given cards, some with adjectives, nouns, and adverbs. You put them together and pitch your idea/product to sell to the whole group. The round then proceeds with you putting a counter on whatever product you want to invest in. Then you put more counters on products to invest. You roll a die to see how much your counters/shares sell for, then get money. Then the next round of coming up with another product/pitching/investing goes on. There is more to investing and buying, but you can read the rules about it.

I'm mediocre at best with this game, however there were times, where I would come up with the best stuff. One of my best products that I pitched was "Erotic Sushi: Eat it raw". Everyone invested in my product without even thinking. In my circle of gaming friends, we have a person, who we basically realized, this game was made for him. He could sell anything. They way he pitched stuff was so funny, there would be moments we had to pause from the laughter. IMO, if you can bullshit, sell, or are fairly comedic, this game is teh win.
  • Yeah, I am 100% sure I bought the right game. I'm also 100% sure this game will be awesome for the FRC.
  • edited October 2007
    Awesome. I hope the FRC enjoys it. ^_^

*Edit*

If they don't like it, oh well. =p ^^;;
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • "I saw a kid in the subway playing a PSP with some sports game that no real gamer would play"

REAL gamers don't play PSP? Or Sports games? Huh?! How do you figure "real gamers" don't play those?
  • REAL gamers don't play PSP? Or Sports games? Huh?! How do you figure "real gamers" don't play those?
    It had nothing to do with his PSP, it was his choice of game. It wasn't the fact that it was a sports game either, it was some lame boxing game. To use more precise terminology, the type of person who plays a game like that is not the type of person who would self identify as a gamer.
  • edited October 2007

REAL gamers don't play PSP? Or Sports games? Huh?! How do you figure "real gamers" don't play those?
    It had nothing to do with his PSP, it was his choice of game. It wasn't the fact that it was a sports game either, it was some lame boxing game. To use more precise terminology, the type of person who plays a game like that is not the type of person who would self identify as a gamer.
    That really applies to the major Madden men around here definitely.

Anyway, I always seen Apples around the shops but never ventured into it. I'm convinced to pick it up. Sounds fun!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Top 3 Horrible/Ironic/Funniest Cards during my days of playing Apples to Apples:

3. Green card: Twisted
    Winner: Pokemon

2. Green card: Easy
    Winner: Attack on Pearl Harbor

1. Green card: Hilarious
    Winner: Challenger Explosion

....ouch.
  • Green card: Intelligent
    Winner: Cabbage (played against Tom Cruise)
  • Green card: Intelligent
    Winner: Cabbage (played against Tom Cruise)
    Should have played broccoli.
  • Apples to Apples is my crack. I can't wait to listen to this episode!

FRC: BTW, I will bring the Apples to Apples Jewish edition this weekend.
  • Green Card: Deadly
    My card: Car bombs
    Winner (friend's card): Ninjas

....damnit
  • Green Card: Fun
    Winner: No pants! (created card)

I need to buy my more create cards.
  •  

Seeing someone on a subway with a PSP makes me think gamer: Non gamers play DS'. EVERYONE plays DS'. You don't get people who don't know about games playing the PSP... Also, the only boxing game I can think of on PSP is awesome...
  • I would go as far as not just returning the last red card to the owner but putting a 5 second time limit before no more cards are accepted. It's surprising how much fun the game loses when someone takes 10+ seconds to pick a card.

My favorite portion of the game is the lobbying. A couple of my friends will try to guess who turned in a card and judge the point on that basis, so I frequently lobby for other peoples' cards to confuse their efforts. In fact, if I lobby in a certain way for someone else's card, the judge will sometimes throw that card out in order to teach me a lesson. :)
  • Why did we do an episode on this? It seems like everyone is already playing.
  • Why did we do an episode on this? It seems like everyone is already playing.Good point. I think I'm done listening to you guys. *feed deleted*
  • I've never even heard of it but after the episode it seemed to be the perfect card game for small parties, I'll buy it with my next order from Amazon.
  • My family only plays this game. I love it, but it has gotten really boring after around three years of playing it for hours during family gatherings.
  • I've never heard of it... Maybe I'll pick one up, it sounds crazy.
  • edited October 2007
    In regards to Lego Star Wars, I would say to get it for the Wii. I never played it, but I started watching my boyfriend play it, and you're right, it is fun to watch. I ended up joining him in multiplayer so we could get all the achievements. I think I'm going to have to pick this one up on the Wii. Just my thoughts. Also, do you know if Puzzle Quest for the Wii will let you play online? I saw it on XBL Arcade, but I've been too busy to check it out.

Rym,
    I share your excitement on FF: Crystal Chronicles for DS/Wii.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The two Lego Star Wars's's's were totally awesome, and apparently the lightsaber-ness in the Wii version is supposed to OWN. Also, the DS version of Lego 2 was BROKEN and ASS. So... take that how you will for the new one.
  • The two Lego Star Wars's's's were totally awesome, and apparently the lightsaber-ness in the Wii version is supposed to OWN. Also, the DS version of Lego 2 was BROKEN and ASS. So... take that how you will for the new one.

Other than giving your opinions about it, care to give your reasonings on why you formulated that opinion?
  • Scott, you should try to write on the map everytime you get to the Ocean King doungeon. It helps the second time you pass through them. Also, after fighting the last three bosses I have come to the conclusion that the next Zelda for the DS have to be on the world of Ocarine of Time or Majora's Mask :P . I am pretty sure the DS can handle those 3D enviroments.
  • How is Puzzle Quest for the Wii going to be better than for the DS? It seems like the stylus is a much better input device for a game such as this.
    Other than giving your opinions about it, care to give your reasonings on why you formulated that opinion?

It was a broken game. There's no opinion. Enemies/characters fell through floors and it was glitched to hell. It was still Lego Star Wars, which is a plus, but it was a failure. Still, if they can nail it this time, it'd be perfect. I loved LSW on my PSP so having it sans loading would be great.
  • Yeah, that game was broken but the new one will have a new developers team working on the DS :D
  • Why did we do an episode on this? It seems like everyone is already playing.
    Good point. I think I'm done listening to you guys. *feed deleted*
    Everyone I know, especially nongamers, all have played Apples to Apples.