This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071105 - Cyber Warfare

RymRym
edited November 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss computer, cyber, IT warfare. In the news, Google Android is not what the Internet expected it would be, and cellphone jammers are a bad idea regardless of a shameless marketing campaign to promote "the controversy."
Scott's Thing - The World Toilet Summit

Rym's Thing - Demon? Or Dog?

Comments

• Demonic wedding guest -
    How America keeps itself ultra christian and scared - the news!

You guys had plenty of good tangent topics that you stopped, hopefully stuff for later shows!
    700 MHz is the long of it, 1400 MHz is the short of it.  I never quite understood why there are a variety of varying GSM frequencies around the world apart from country specific carriers tying deals with phone makers. 
    We're lucky in Australia, in that a phone cannot be tied to a company , sure you can buy a phone on a plan through a specific carrier but you could also buy the exact same phone outright.  Thus the iPhone is going to have a problem running a racket over here.
    The DVD regions is understandable (but stupid) due to different release dates.
    Palm also attempted to make a Linux operating system according to Engadget but pulled out and stuck with the stupid Garnet OS for their most recent release.
    Thinking about strategic warfare, do you think you guys could do a show on famous battle field strategies and / or really poor strategic moves?

• A few years ago there was a TV series titled Private Schulz, in which a group of German counterfeiters tried to wreck the English economy by flooding it with counterfeit notes. They played it in the U.S. on Masterpiece Theatre. It was very good. if you get a chance, you should see it.
  • One thing about the whole Demonic Wedding Guest thing that I wanted know (in fact, the first question that came into my mind) is did they or anyone there actually have a dog? I kept waiting for either the reporter or the couple to say, "This is weird because there wasn't any dog there" and no one ever did, but it seems to me to be an obvious point. Obviously, the whole thing would be weird (although I doubt the whole "Capture the Spiritual on Camera" thing anyway) if they didn't know where the dog came from. Unfortunately, it didn't come up.
  • When the interview was going on, the wife had a dog in her hands. I thought it was so obvious. People (reporters specifically) are so fucking gullible.
  • (reporters specifically)
    Of course you know, this means war.
  • Of course you know, this means war.
    Don't you have an election you should be reporting on?
  • edited November 2007
    Of course you know, this means war.
    Don't you have an election you should be reporting on?
    Dude, I've written five stories tonight, including one on a house fire, one on a $23 million recreation center levy, and three on (failed) school levies -- one which might be reversed by provisional votes. It's been a long night. As soon as we go to press, we reporters are heading to the bar.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Writing stories? I thought you guys were on strike?
  • The real story about the demon dog is the stupid TV station for reporting it and the idiot "paranormal investigator." What total freaking idiots.
  • edited November 2007
    There's an English legend about a hellhound named Black Shuck.

Cracking good story. Scared the wits out of me when I was but a wee lad.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    That's only script writers.
    That's why FOX News is in reruns.
  • China!!!

No way... They don't even have a real navy. We would absolutely crush them, but that is not what we have to worry about. The second China declared war, Japan would go Ape Sh*t and unleash it secret giant robot army on China and Korea.

Then we would have a second arms race and would be force to make our own giant robot army, and that is what will lead to the end of the world for humans. (Haven't you seen the Terminator or the Matrix?)
  • China!!!

No way... They don't even have a real navy. We would absolutely crush them . . .
    Maybe you should read this and this before you start cheerleading like a neocon idiot.
    That's why FOX News is in reruns.
    I lol'd hard.

• Maybe you should readthisandthisbefore you start cheerleading like a neocon idiot.
    I'm getting tired of the misuse of the term neo-conservative. It refers to a very specific set of political ideologies pioneered by Leo Strauss. People are throwing the word neocon around like it's a synonym for villain, and that just isn't true.
  • edited November 2007
    Neocons may not always be villains, but one of their hallmark traits is to irresponsibly say the U.S. would crush the military might of any number of countries without really knowing whether it may be true.

Most, if not all people recently identified as neocons are also chickenhawks.
    In his book review of Reading Leo Strauss, by Steven B. Smith, Robert Alter points out that Smith "persuasively sets the record straight on Strauss's political views and on what his writing is really about."Smith questions the link between Strauss and neoconservative thought, arguing that Strauss was never personally active in politics, never endorsed imperialism, and questioned the utility of political philosophy for the practice of politics. Those who do make such a link, Smith argues, misread Strauss's published writings.
    Source.
  • Maybe you should readthisandthisbefore you start cheerleading like a neocon idiot.I'm getting tired of the misuse of the term neo-conservative. It refers to a very specific set of political ideologies pioneered by Leo Strauss. People are throwing the word neocon around like it's a synonym for villain, and that just isn't true.The almighty Wiki says:
    Neoconservatism is the political philosophy that emerged in the United States from the rejection of social liberalism and the New Left counter-culture of the 1960s.Rejection of social liberalism?  I wouldn't use the word villain, but they certainly aren't heroes.
  • I wouldn't use the word villain, but they certainly aren't heroes.
    Maybe it would be acceptable to say they're mostly villains.
  • I wouldn't use the word villain, but they certainly aren't heroes. Maybe it would be acceptable to say they'remostlyvillains.I'm pretty sure that I'm not a neo-conservative, but I doubt that people who are see themselves as villains.
  • I'm pretty sure that I'm not a neo-conservative, but I doubt that people who are see themselves as villains.
    Ask Cheney, who says he wants to work on the "Dark Side".
  • So I'm curious: Has China been projecting hostilities to other countries lately? Although they are a larger country with a larger population and the ability to become as powerful as the US (possibly), are the assessments of a cold war coming justified, or is it just the US paranoia in seeing the Chinese potential?

Has anyone played Twilight Struggle? I thought that game demonstrated a cold war to a tee.
  • Has anyone played Twilight Struggle?Yes.
    I thought that game demonstrated a cold war to a tee.If by that you mean a tedious, boring, somewhat random series of fiddly plays and rules-clarifications rife with periodic attempts by both players to convince the other to just quit and often ending in one person purposefully instigating a nuclear war just to end the damned thing...  then yes, it does.
  • I never said that neo conservativists were not villains, I just said that the word neocon is not a synonym for villain. It means something very specific. Don't use it for something else.
  • edited November 2007
    If Keanu Reeves voted for GWB, he'd be a "Neo"-con.
  • If Keanu Reeves voted for GWB, he'd be a "Neo"-con.
    ... Ow. That one physically hurt me.
  • Maybe neocons are people who were just released from prison in Neo Tokyo.
  • Maybe you should readthisandthisbefore you start cheerleading like a neocon idiot.
    The point was this. If you read my post completely, instead of flying of on the neo-con tanget. Japan will unleash it Robot army from Hell and take over the world.
  • The point wasthis.
    Then you didn't make your point very well. I'm sorry for you.
  • The point wasthis. Then you didn't make your point very well. I'm sorry for you.Actually, he made it quite well.