This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The E3 Thread

edited May 2006 in Video Games
Alright people. This is the E3 thread. If you've got anything to say about E3, put it here. If you've got something to say about our E3 episode, put that here too. Remember, we're looking for feedback on having crazy-long episodes. Would you mind if GeekNights was 3 hours long every now and then, or is that too much for you?

Also, let's try to keep the Wii jokes to a minimum.

I'm just kidding. Go nuts with your Wii ;-)

Comments

• I'm imagining playing with my Wii right now...
  • Can't wait to get my hands on a Wii
  • Is it impolite to play with another man's Wii?
  • I will note, for all of our listeners, that we did the whole thing in one take with no edits. There were three breaks taken only to commit the file to disk and refill water glasses.

GeekNights really does come to you uncut and recorded live ^_~
  • edited May 2006
    I was rooting for the fat guy. he would have rocked the tennis game to the core.

I like uber long podcast because the make grinding out levels in WoW a lot more enjoyable.
    Longer = better
    Post edited by Railith on
  • If you keep sitting there grinding out levels in WoW you might become the fat guy. Sorry, can't resist making fun of WoW. Hopefully there will never be a WoW-Wii.
  • 1) Kotaku has pics of the Wii classic controller
    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/e306/e306-the-classic-wii-controller-172712.php

2) Somone is going to make a WoW movie

3) Wow Sucks....just FYI.
  • Oh jeez, the controller's so cute and MAC. I'm enjoying this new trend in design Nintendo's taking.

Also: hehe, WoW-Wii
  • Long episodes are fine. In fact, I wish we all had chips in our heads so I could just listen to every word you guys say, 24/7. Maybe we could all get assimilated, I hear the Borg have a great mental networking program that everyone gets for free when they join.
  • I present the George Forman PS3

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/e3/playstation-3-to-be-the-size-of-a-victorian-waffle-iron-172750.php
  • A 2-hour episode would not be unwelcome. I enjoy longer shows because of my commute.
  • I'm all for longer episodes, unfortunatley i usually fall asleep half way through as i listen to them in bed.
    Oh and WoW sucks.

Runescape For-Teh-Win!
    :D
  • I want more on e3 from you guys please!
  • RymRym
    edited May 2006
    Don't you worry, we'll have at least another hour or so of E3 coverage on Thursday. As for the super long episode, I note the following technical limitations:
    • Libsyn has a little trouble with files larger than 50MB.
    • A three hour episode would not have fit in our Libsyn quota at this time.
    • My computer is a sad, old beast. Encoding a three hour episode is quite the endeavor.
    Now, long-term I'm thinking of upgrading our Libsyn. We use it to capacity currently. The next step up is far more than we need. However, I could use the extra space to handle longer episodes, start dumping archives up there, and up the bitrate to 96kbps, among other things.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited May 2006
    The longer episodes are fine, I have plenty of time to listen, so I don't mind how long the show is.

Edit: I just realized that above is only true for one more week. But still, long shows are good.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • Rym, you said the libsyn had 100MB+. We could fit 3 hours in that.
  • Yeah. We could. Barely. And then we'd be right at the edge of our quota again.
  • Is there supposed to be anything annouced at E3 about Spore? Aside from Nintendo announcements, it's the main thing that grabs my attention.
  • Oh god, no. They couldn't help themselves. They're rewriting Shadowrun. They've just lost my money, and damn them to hell.

/Old skool Shadowrun fanboy
    //Who likes to slash
    ///Slashies!!
  • Well it seems that there is some benefit to us holding off until Thursday to finish up our E3 talk. The news surrounding MS and Nintendo changed quite a bit today on the show floor. i.e: Shadowrun and Duck Hunt 2. The Sony news, unsurprisingly, is stagnant.
  • If you really have something to say, go for it!
  • I can understand them pushing back some things in the Shadowrun timeline, what with events like the Shiawase Decision and other events concerning extraterritoriality, not to mention the Native American uprising.
    I also understand the creation for the power sites, from a game developer's perspective. It creates the safe conflict of naturalist underdog vs. multinational corp, of safety vs. freedom. Though I think that conflicts arising from the Resource Rush would have given them plenty of fodder for battles between communities of ordinary people and the economic machine of a zaibatsu.
  • I noticed for the PS3 you said all the games are the 'Game X+1' formula, and there is nothing original, but I was thinking the exact same thing for the list of DS games that you went through. I havent looked at the other consoles, because I don't care so much.

But you know, Mario Blah, Kirby Blah, Zelda Blah. Its really just the same.
  • Ahh the longer Geeknight shows the better.
    Loved the episode a lot guys.

Did anyone see the WoW expansion video? i found it very funny. :)
  • Long shows are awesome but I'd understand if you wanted to split them up into multi-parters for poor schlubs on dialup or libsyn limitations. Either way I'll take as much as I can get!
  • As far as I'm concerned, it's not Shadowrun. It just happens to have that name. An FPS? Sure, we really need another one of those.

I'm sure the Powers That Be at Microsoft heard about Shadowrun and thought, "Elves and dwarves and trolls and magic, you say? Maybe we can capture the fantasy segment of the market. But with guns, we get the shooter market too! Got damn, we're geniuses! Ca-ching!"

It's just a Battlefield 2 clone, but instead of medpacks, defib paddles and artillery, you have healing magic, resurrection spells and fireballs.
  • New Super Smash Brothers game and Solid Snake is in it, awesome.
  • http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html
    Has the video! for Super Smash brothers...

Pretty damn cool.. It even includes Nintendogs as a powerup!
  • edited May 2006
    You can use a FTP client to upload to Libsyn to get rid of that uploading via a web page rubbish.

On E3 - HA HA Sony HA HA HA HA!

Also in the UK, we say "going for a wee" to mean going for a piss. Last night I was heard to say - "going for a nintendo". I guarantee that is happening all over the country.
    Post edited by techsupportrich on