This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071211 - Worms: Open Warfare 2

RymRym
edited December 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Worms: Open Warfare 2 for the DS (and not Worms: Open Warfare for the DS, which was awful). In the news, Valve dumps some Team Fortress 2 stats on us, and Compile Heart dumps Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix on the DS.

Scott's Thing - The Metroid Mother Brain Super Console
Rym's Thing - Passage

Comments

• Man, I gotta see if I can compile the source of this game to work on my Jornada 680 HPC.

Who here has ever compiled code for an SH3 Windows CE device? What do I have to do, just give the source to the right compiler?
  • Phoenix on the DS? Neat.

..while I know this is pretty much impossible, a Phoenix game would be pretty cool... but then again, I'm thinking that it would be similar to Live-A-Live because both are about different stories across time that are sort-of tied together and eventually become linked in the very end.

...In fact, I guess all I really want is Live-A-Live DS. I don't think there's any way to take Phoenix and turn it into a video game because of the way it is.

...Has there ever been a successful book-to-game adaptation (or has there ever been one period?)
  • I couldn't get the game to compile in linux for some reason. Maybe I'm just being stupid.
  • I couldn't get the game to compile in linux for some reason. Maybe I'm just being stupid.
    It comes with directions on how to compile it. Did you read them?
  • The Pokemon episodes on GBA carts were not that bad... Not that good either and they were more of a novelty for keeping the kids entertained in the back of the car.
  • Mmmm.... odd, the Passage game wont run on my work XP laptop, wonder why.

I'm getting a DS soon, so it sounds like Worms 2 is going to be an early purchase, it sounds just like the older PC versions.
  • eBooks are a nice idea and they are almost there. The Kindle is an example of a company almost getting it.

The funny thing about the Kindle is that you can not give an ebook to someone else after you read it. Why is that funny? Because Amazon went to court a few years back to insure people had the right to sell used books online.
  • edited December 2007
    I couldn't get the game to compile in linux for some reason. Maybe I'm just being stupid.
    It comes with directions on how to compile it. Did you read them?
    I can find no instructions. The only things in the documentation folder are a version log and a url.

I went to the source code, ran the configure script, then used make and got a screen full of errors that said that every single file in the directory had failed. I also ran that "runtoBuild" script, but it didn't help either.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Note: To build from source, you must have the SDL development library installed.
    Here is what to do on Ubuntu.$ sudo aptitude install libsdl-dev
    $ sudo aptitude install build-essential
    $ cd Passage_v2_UnixSource
    $ ./RunToBuild
    $ ./Passage
  • Ah. I didn't have the SDL dev library. Thanks Scott!!
  • Note: To build from source, you must have the SDL development library installed.
    Ah. I didn't have the SDL dev library. Thanks Scott!!
    I lacked the g++ stuff. But the errors made that clear and got fixed. The game's not that great. You walk to the right, meet a girl, fall in love, continue the path of life, get older, get around the hardships of live, girl dies, you die. Okay...
  • I lacked the g++ stuff. But the errors made that clear and got fixed. The game's not that great. You walk to the right, meet a girl, fall in love, continue the path of life, get older, get around the hardships of live, girl dies, you die. Okay...
    You're doing it wrong!
  • You're doing it wrong!
    Nah, just wasn't part of Ubuntu, and I haven't started on compiling really.
  • Nah, just wasn't part of Ubuntu, and I haven't started on compiling really.
    I meant you were playing the game wrong.
  • I meant you were playing the game wrong.
    Eh, there is no goal, so I can't play it wrong. You can either scrounge for treasure chests, or walk with your girl/wife to get 1 point/person/distance travelled. Can't do both at the same time, since the girl prevents you from getting through the mazes.
  • Eh, there is no goal, so I can't play it wrong. You can either scrounge for treasure chests, or walk with your girl/wife to get 1 point/person/distance travelled. Can't do both at the same time, since the girl prevents you from getting through the mazes.
    If you have the girl with you, you get 2 points, not one. Also, while it is harder to navigate downwards with a partner, it is not necessarily impossible.

The question you need to be asking yourself is "what does this mean?"
  • Just thoughts on the TF2 stats: Is the map mirror symmetrical or rotationally symmetrical? if its mirror then the whole map will be left to right on one side and right to left on the other.
    "Gainary"? its Granary damn you!
  • If you have the girl with you, you get 2 points
    Do I have to repeat myself?
    or walk with your girl/wife to get 1 point/person/distance traveled
    And you can't get to the bottom of the level when alone, so even trying with the girl tripling your width is just stupid. You could just stop beating around the bush and tell what you mean exactly.
  • And you can't get to the bottom of the level when alone, so even trying with the girl tripling your width is just stupid. You could just stop beating around the bush and tell what you mean exactly.
    Don't look at the game itself. Think about what the game means.
    edited December 2007
    Don't look at the game itself. Think about what the game means.
    The game's not that great. You walk to the right, meet a girl, fall in love, continue the path of life, get older, get around the hardships of live, girl dies, you die. Okay...
    Some additions: Love makes getting around obstacles in live harder? What about seeking comfort with your spouse? Getting to the treasures in live is harder when in love? But isn't love a treasure in itself? Does it now allow for treasures previously unobtainable? It's a very pessimistic game in that regard. Live's hard, and gets harder if you fall in love and marry.

Ignoring me is not that bad, ignoring parts of my posts is annoying. Unless you still don't think my view is incorrect according to you, in which case I once again say you should stop beating around the bush and tell what you mean exactly. I had already figured what the game means in my opinion. And it's not that great.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Look deeper. When you start the game you can see clearly what is right in front of you, but you have a glimpse of what is further away. No matter if you travel to the right or down, your sprite will still slowly progress towards the right side of the screen. As you get closer to the middle of the map, you really can't see much that is far behind or way ahead of you, only where you are right now. As you get close to the end, all the things you have passed reappear far behind you, but not very clearly. They are distant memories.

As a video game you play for fun or challenging interaction, this is not much. As an artistic accomplishment that is able to deliver multiple strong messages with minimal graphics and sound, passage is made of win.
  • That's part of life. If you follow the path of life that is part of it. It's not that noteworthy imho. The pessimistic undertone is however.
  • The pessimistic undertone is however.
    I didn't find the game pessimistic at all.
  • edited December 2007
    Man, that little game was good :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Does anyone want to play TF2 right now?
  • The pessimistic undertone is however.
    After playing the game several times, I definitely agree with Nineless. Doubly so after reading the creator's own statement about what he was trying to do.
  • edited December 2007
    The pessimistic undertone is however.
    After playing the game several times, I definitely agree with Nineless. Doubly so after reading thecreator's own statementabout what he was trying to do.
    Did you even read that thing? Nowhere in there does he suggests pessimism. Unless you consider being reminded that you are mortal to be pessimistic.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Did you even read that thing? Nowhere in there does he suggests pessimism. Unless you consider being reminded that you are mortal to be pessimistic.
    The goal of the game is to die after either trying (and most likely failing) to succeed while being lonely, or settling for mediocrity with a companion. I can't really think of any way to get more pessimistic.
  • The beauty of the game lies in the fact that when you state your opinion of the game, you expose your true self.
  • For some reason, that game made me feel solemn. As I played the game, I was suddenly felt a strange chill in my spine, as if such a simple work of art conveyed a message that was so real.

It seemed a bit eerie to me, and I completely agree with Scrym.