This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080311 - Side-Scrolling Beat-'em-Ups!

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the world of side-scrolling beat-'em-ups, such as X-Men, Ninja Turtles, Final Fight, River City Ransom, Streets of Rage, etc... In the news, Battle Bots is Back, but it's still lame, and piracy isn't quite the scapegoat it used to be.

Scott's Thing - Choose Your Own Adventure Chart
Rym's Thing - Yakety Sax at 4:20

Comments

• Sounds like your version of Battle Bots is a project for the barge.
  • Sounds like your version of Battle Bots is a project for the barge.
    O_O! All the rules and things of the barge...except another opponent is a kick ass battlebot. Yes!
  • edited March 2008
    Just so you know about Brawl, I have already gotten everything important to get (i.e. characters and stages) since getting it launch day a couple days ago. I finished Subspace Emissary with only 86% complete, so some of the areas (because I havn't checked yet) are repeatable for different trophies I'm guessing. Now, the last little bit of it is a very tedious and annoying, but it's only the last little bit. 70% is where I started the dreaded "The Great Maze". Have fun!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2008
    I beat Subspace with about 73%.

The Great Maze fucking sucks.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Great Maze is bullshit. I hate it.

But I loved everything else.
  • Intro

Rym and/or Scott: "River City Ransom"

CREDITS

- The above show would have been all you needed to say.
  • Intro

Rym and/or Scott: "River City Ransom"

CREDITS

- The above show would have been all you needed to say.
    Bullshit, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is the best sidescrolling beat em up out there, and ScrewAttack says I'm right.
  • Bullshit, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is the best sidescrolling beat em up out there, andScrewAttacksays I'm right.
    Well, you're stupid, and so is ScrewAttack. ^_~
  • jccjcc
    edited March 2008
    River City Ransom is awesome.

The frustrating part is that it was only the tip of the iceberg. There were a bunch of other games of the same style that Technos only released on the Famicom, each arguably more awesome than the last. Fortunately people have made English patches for the Japanese ROMs. :) I highly recommend checking those other games out.

Ike Ike Hockey Bu - Ice Hockey River City Ransom style. :) Here's the Kendo team vs. the Baseball team.

Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu - For those people who always played Technos games in order to hit your friends with metal pipes, and didn't really care about the plot. :) Now with more special moves, more characters, and exceedingly dangerous fight arenas.

Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League - A sequel to Nintendo World Cup. More moves, more awesomeness.

Nekketsu! Street Basket - Ganbare Dunk Heros - Arch Rivals done River City Ransom style .

Downtown Nekketsu koushinkyoku - Crash n' the Boys style racing game with more sillyness and easier controls.

Downtown Nekketsu Jidaigekidayo - River City Ransom set in Feudal Japan. Now with collectable NPCs and even more absurd special moves and items to beat people with.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Don't forget about Crash N the gang, the RCR in sporting events...

Also Simpsons FTW! Actually plunked down $27 bucks to get 3 strangers and me to finally beat the game. Good Times.
  • Crash n' the Gang is pretty much the best game where you can win a swimming race by drowning your opponent or attacking him with piranha.
  • My favorite Side-Scrolling Beat'em-Up was Sunset Riders. Although I guess its technically a shooter in the vein of Metal Slug, except that you had the 4 player option that the SSBU's had.

Also has anyone else seen Castle Crashers? It looks like this could maybe bring back the genre, which would be nice.
  • This episode was kidnapped by ninjas. Rym and Scott were not bad enough dudes to rescue the President.
  • I know! I was hoping for at least a mention.
  • In your section about battle robots your fantasy was basically describing "Robot Wars" which was (until the last few series) incredibly awesome. Flamethrowers (Sgt. Bash FTW!), fridges dropped from the ceiling, robots being cut into pieces (mostly the work of Sir Kill-a-lot) and general mayhem.
  • edited March 2008
    I know! I was hoping for at least a mention.
    The question, "If I were truly so bad, why would I want to rescue the president?", is left unanswered.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Its tough for me to decide between the original Ninja Turtles brawler and Bad Dudes. I played both religiously in the arcade and on my NES.

I guess either way, the generic fodder ninjas lose.
  • edited March 2008
    In your section about battle robots your fantasy was basically describing "Robot Wars" which was (until the last few series) incredibly awesome. Flamethrowers (Sgt. Bash FTW!), fridges dropped from the ceiling, robots being cut into pieces (mostly the work of Sir Kill-a-lot) and general mayhem.
    Yeah, that pretty much what I was thinking when they were talking about Battlebots: "Haven't they ever heard of Robot Wars?"

Sadly, I never got to see much of Robot Wars because I could never catch it on the channel it was on here, so instead had to settle for Battlebots. I mildly enjoyed it in junior high before hearing about Robot Wars, mainly because I'd never seen or heard of anything like it at the time. That and I was always hopeful that Bill Nye would make one of his cameos, lame as they were. XD;;
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • In your section about battle robots your fantasy was basically describing "Robot Wars" which was (until the last few series) incredibly awesome. Flamethrowers (Sgt. Bash FTW!), fridges dropped from the ceiling, robots being cut into pieces (mostly the work of Sir Kill-a-lot) and general mayhem.
    Yeah, that pretty much what I was thinking when they were talking about Battlebots: "Haven't they ever heard of Robot Wars?"

Sadly, I never got to see much of Robot Wars because I could never catch it on the channel it was on here, so instead had to settle for Battlebots. I mildly enjoyed it in junior high before hearing about Robot Wars, mainly because I'd never seen or heard of anything like it at the time. That and I was always hopeful that Bill Nye would make one of his cameos, lame as they were. XD;;
    Ah, it was Robot wars...that's what I was thinking of!
    Yeah, last night I sent rym and scott and email replying to the battlebots thing, saying that I used to watch a cool show with robots, and it was definitely Robot Wars.
  • Robot Wars was awesome, presented by Craig Charles at one point. They had pits of fire, the professional robots (think the Gladiators from Gladiators) that would totally destroy a robot if it got within their kill zone. The early seasons where the best before everybody started to realise the best robot to build was one that could flip the other robots, before that they had all sorts of wacky ideas.
    On the issue of side scrolling beat-em-ups, did everybody else's games of Street of Rage always turn into a fight between you and your mate when one of you accidentally hit the other or ate the turkey that was their's?
  • I must be in Bizarro World, because I loved the action on BattleBots and hate-hate-hated Robot Wars.

Maybe I'm missing out on some non-Craig Charles seasons of Robot Wars where the bots weren't slow, had ineffectual weapons, or were generally fodder for the house robots. Maybe I was tarnished by the awful, terrible Americanized version of Robot Wars hosted by Mick "Mankind" Foley, where the robots and teams were encouraged to be gussied up in theme outfits.

Now that I think more about it (and check Wikipedia), Robot Wars did start off in the mid 1990s in the US, then got picked up by the BBC. It's the BBC seasons that seemed to be the more limited of the robot fighting shows, because I hear the first few Robot Wars competitions were Teh Awesome.

Because how can you deny that BattleBots was awesome when you've got crowd pleasers like Toro, Nightmare and Ziggo, to name just three?

I do know that Mythbusters' own Jamie Hyneman competed in both Robot Wars and BattleBots with the terrifying Blendo. And Grant Imahara, also from Mythbusters, competed with Deadblow. That's some strong credentials for combat robotics in my book.

I agree that there needs to be a big no-holds-barred combat robotics competition, the sort of thing that the freakazoids over at Survival Research Laboratories would participate in.

Scott, I'm looking at you in particular because you wished you could've seen robots with, essentially, helicopter blades with big weights on the end. BattleBots had that.
  • Because how can you deny that BattleBots was awesome when you've got crowd pleasers likeToro,NightmareandZiggo, to name just three?
    Ziggoooooo *-* I too loved those robot war shows :) Liked all you linked, but never saw Blendo, and always thought Deadblow was just a loose unaimed cannon. And you forgot some great ones. Minion, Grendel, Biohazard, Vlad the Impaler. Though I must admit that I only like Biohazard because of his stylish two stage back flipping. Further he's just low :p
  • edited March 2008
    Oh, Battlebots was the one on Comedy Central? Yeah, that stuff is weaksauce.....

Robot Wars would be sweet if they brought it back, though...seriously.
    Post edited by Dkong on