This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080506 - Mario Kart Wii

RymRym
edited May 2008 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about Mario Kart on the Nintendo Wii. In the news, Wolfenstein is 16 years old today, and Boom Blox appears to actually be good.

Scott's Thing - Fate RPG
Rym's Thing - Quest for Glory II, Shema's Dance

Comments

• Mario GBA is the best version, it had the best tracks and dynamics over any other game in the series. However if you need a wii game it has to be No More Heroes, Suda 51 taking the wii to the next level.
  • I can use any Wii controller other than the zapper? Even a Guitar Hero controller?
  • Racing with a guitar, that would be awesome...

If you could get it to work decently.
  • edited May 2008
    Personally, I find taking turns way too hard in MKGBA. Great track selection, too. Mario Kart Wii has, IMO, the best turn taking/blue sparking.

As for DS, you made snaking out to be so bad. "Shaking your ds and hurting your hands". If that's how you snake, you're doing it wrong. Snaking isn't that hard. Plus it really doesn't help (well, it kinda does, but not to the point where people should be whining about it). I was considered by my friends to be the best snaker of our group, and me and one of my friends did a few races with me. I snaked, he didn't. He kicked my ass. We played a mixed number of tracks, stuff he's good at, stuff I'm good at, stuff we both hate, stuff we both like...
    Plus, if you use items and shortcuts well when playing online, you can pretty much destroy any snakers.

Also, keep in mind that MKDS online lags a lot, so most of the when someone is jumping around, they're lagging (or you are), not snaking.

But yeah, my Mario Kart rundown is....

MK64 > MKWii (at least the controls and whatnot, haven't played all the tracks) > MKDS > MKGBA > MKSNES > MKGC

Granted, I love all of them, MK64 being like a 9 or 9.5/10 and GC being somewhere around an 8/10.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Well if you could snake really well you can actually drive on the off-road at normal speeds (as if you were on the normal track). My friend could do it and he was impossible to beat.
  • You know what? I feel sort of like Light when he found out an interesting thing about the Death Note when I realise you can do different things with the mechanics of the game.

For example, finding out you can drift on the rough ground if you were at a decent enough speed (in time trial, using a mushroom, usually) was a boon to my SNES Mario Circuit time.
  • edited May 2008
    Regarding FATE, Scott's TOTD: I can vouch that it's a really cool system. I own Spirit of the Century, though I never actually got the chance to play it. I was going to run a TMNT inspired game using the system, and we got as far as the character creation (which in FATE, is practically part of the game) but then one of the guys moved away, and it fell apart. But he did say that just creating characters was more fun than most games he'd played.

ANYWAY -- If you're going to play FATE, don't play the 2.0 version that Scott linked. Play this one, the SRD for version 3, which is the really awesome one. Or pick up Spirit of the Century.

Also -- if you don't like the Fudge mechanics, it's pretty simple to just drop the FATE concepts on top of any other system.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited May 2008
    I thought Bloom box would be just a Wii version of Jenga, so i was not very interested. However, I just read it has head tracking in it! Now I really want to try it out.
    Head Tracking
    50 bucks is a lot for a Wii game but I'll either rent it or get my company to get it for their Wii.

Edit: The article right under the link I gave states that the head tracking was removed. *Sigh* That makes my post pointless. Sorry!
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I really enjoy playing Battle Mode online. It's too bad there isn't a "Last man out" mode and only teams, however it's still enjoyable. I could care less about the rating points systems, even though if you have a high rating it feeds your e-peen.

Ok, I forget if this was mentioned, but you said using the wheel isn't the best way to race if you want to race for skill, so what control do you use? The Game Cube controller or the Wii-mote/Nunchuck action? I still haven't tried the others yet.

Scrym, what characters do you prefer overall? Any particular toons for specific tracks? I'm a Yoshi girl all the way! ^_^ I can't help it. He's just too adorable and awesome to not use.
  • I'm confused about something that was said on the show.
    You said:
    "Unlike Smash Brothers, which really, really, was a mistake, two people can play online from the same Wii together."
    "Yea so, me and Rym can play online together, on the same Wii and race against people on the internets but we're both using the same Wii. Where as, with Smash Brothers, to do that we would have needed two Wiis in the same room."
    I play Smash Brothers with my friends on a single Wii versing other friends online. I don't need another Wii to do that. Is there something I'm missing here?
    You said:
    "Unlike Smash Brothers, which really, really, was a mistake, two people can play online from the same Wii together."
    "Yea so, me and Rym can play online together, on the same Wii and race against people on the internets but we're both using the same Wii. Where as, with Smash Brothers, to do that we would have needed two Wiis in the same room."
    I play Smash Brothers with my friends on a single Wii versing other friends online. I don't need another Wii to do that. Is there something I'm missing here?
    That only works if you use friend codes. With a friend code smash brothers lets you have two people on the same system. Without the friend code you can only have on person on the same system. I suspect it was done to prevent two people from joining 3/4 player games and griefing. Its a lame reason, and the other party could just leave, but its Nintendo's family friendly prerogative.
    You said:
    That only works if you use friend codes. With a friend code smash brothers lets you have two people on the same system. Without the friend code you can only have on person on the same system. I suspect it was done to prevent two people from joining 3/4 player games and griefing. Its a lame reason, and the other party could just leave, but its Nintendo's family friendly prerogative.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!
  • I'm little behind on my pod-casts but figured Scrym could use this bit of info. He mentioned that his channels were getting too full and he'd have to delete some stuff in order to put the Mario Kart game channel up. This isn't true. You can have (I think) up to 12 screens on that title section. That's what the left and right arrows on the sides are for. I keep all my virtual games on one screen, main channels on the front page, and extra stuff i don't use often on another. To move a channel you just use the "pinch" motion (A and B) to move it. Placing the channel to the left or right will move the screens. Hope this helps so you can keep everything.
  • I'm little behind on my pod-casts but figured Scrym could use this bit of info. He mentioned that his channels were getting too full and he'd have to delete some stuff in order to put the Mario Kart game channel up. This isn't true. You can have (I think) up to 12 screens on that title section. That's what the left and right arrows on the sides are for. I keep all my virtual games on one screen, main channels on the front page, and extra stuff i don't use often on another. To move a channel you just use the "pinch" motion (A and B) to move it. Placing the channel to the left or right will move the screens. Hope this helps so you can keep everything.
    I know that there are multiple screens, and I know you can move channels around. That's not the problem. The problem is that we are running out of blocks on the Wiis internal memory.
  • Wow... I'm not even close to filling that up (or at least I hope that's the case... will have to double check when I get home). You'd think there would be some way to mod the internal flash to get more space. 512MB isn't much. I mean have a USB stick with 2 GBs. And that cost almost nothing. Anyone taken their Wii apart and see how it ticks?

• As for DS, you made snaking out to be so bad. "Shaking your ds and hurting your hands".
    Kind of like carbonated drinks hurt Scott's mouth?
  • edited May 2008
    I'm little behind on my pod-casts but figured Scrym could use this bit of info. He mentioned that his channels were getting too full and he'd have to delete some stuff in order to put the Mario Kart game channel up. This isn't true. You can have (I think) up to 12 screens on that title section. That's what the left and right arrows on the sides are for. I keep all my virtual games on one screen, main channels on the front page, and extra stuff i don't use often on another. To move a channel you just use the "pinch" motion (A and B) to move it. Placing the channel to the left or right will move the screens. Hope this helps so you can keep everything.
    I know that there are multiple screens, and I know you can move channels around. That's not the problem. The problem is that we are running out of blocks on the Wiis internal memory.
    Get external memory? Can't be too expensive. Better than deleting stuff you want.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • External memory with the Wii is basically useless. It's almost more cumbersome than just downloading the files again. You can't access anything off of the SD card, and the copying process is totally stupid.
  • External memory with the Wii is basically useless. It's almost more cumbersome than just downloading the files again. You can't access anything off of the SD card, and the copying process is totally stupid.
    Yes. This is why I only use the Wii SD card as a backup for save games in case something happens to the Wii. If they would just let the Wii actually use the SD slot as an expansion of the internal memory, or let standard USB storage devices do the same, this problem would not exist.
  • How is WiiWare going to work unless the storage gets bulked up?
  • How is WiiWare going to work unless the storage gets bulked up?
    People will be constantly uninstalling and reinstalling games. Awesome, just like the old DOS days!
    Yes. This is why I only use the Wii SD card as a backup for save games in case something happens to the Wii. If they would just let the Wii actually use the SD slot as an expansion of the internal memory, or let standard USB storage devices do the same, this problem would not exist.
    Wow, that's lame. I thought it was an expansion of internal memory.
    Nevermind my suggestion then.
  • I definitely enjoyed the review of Mario Kart, but there was one blemish to the show. Every time Rym and Scott pronounced "HoL" as "hall" it set my teeth on edge. Have you read the book? Every time you see "HoL" in the book, it has the accent mark denoting a long "O" in the pronunciation. The name of the game itself is a joke, a homophone of "Hole." They even carried the joke over to the supplement, "Buttery WHoLesomeness," which actually had the character creation rules.
  • I picked up the game on Sunday and I'm liking it. So what if it is mostly what has come before it's still fun.

I also enjoy seeing where I fall compared to other players in my region and around the world. I've been downloading the ghosts for the top players in the world just to learn their tricks. 'Course their main trick is using a character and bike I have yet to unlock.

As for the Wii memory problem. Yeah, it sucks. I think I have about 200 blocks left on my internal Wii memory. I know Nintendo says you can delete the VC games and download them again but what about games where you save your progress?

I don't know why they don't let you use the SD card as an expansion to internal memory. Heck, I was surprised they allowed you to use a non-proprietary technology in the first place! Is there some technological problem stopping them from allowing you to use the SD card or a USB thumb drive as an add-on to the system Flash Drive?
  • I don't know why they don't let you use the SD card as an expansion to internal memory. Heck, I was surprised they allowed you to use a non-proprietary technology in the first place! Is there some technological problem stopping them from allowing you to use the SD card or a USB thumb drive as an add-on to the system Flash Drive?
    The SD card is proprietary. It was developed by Matsushita, SanDisk, and Toshiba.

I bought Mario Kart yesterday after going to three different stores. One of them has a waiting list for a month.
  • By proprietary I meant proprietary or exclusive to Nintendo.

The GameCube memory cards were proprietary to Nintendo and could only be used on the GameCube. An SD Card may contain proprietary technology but it can be used in a shit-ton of electronic gadgets.
  • Now that I have the game and have unlocked a few things I have a question:

Has anyone come close to being in the top ten yet? I downloaded a bunch of the champion ghosts and I race against them but I'm simply not that good as the players who use Donkey Kong on a bike. I'm guessing Kong on the bike is broken because every champion ghost I download uses that combination.
  • DKong1026, online snaking was the reason people are taking off and blasting you out of the water in Mario Kart DS, not lag. I can and could snake well, and it was most assuredly a substantial and peerless advantage. What it wasn't, is fun. I don't consider it cheating, it's just poor gameplay.

The Battle mode in the Wii version is absolutely worthless. It's so bad it almost killed the game for me. I also hate games that make you unlock multiplayer items in single player; I play with people who don't own the game themselves, so playing so much single player creates skill disparities I don't enjoy.
  • The Battle mode in the Wii version is absolutely worthless. It's so bad it almost killed the game for me.
    How so? There's never been a good battle mode in a racing game ever. Why would you expect this game to be any different?

I basically ignore any mode that isn't racing or time trials in any racing game.
  • The Battle mode in the Wii version is absolutely worthless. It's so bad it almost killed the game for me.
    How so? There's never been a good battle mode in a racing game ever. Why would you expect this game to be any different?

I basically ignore any mode that isn't racing or time trials in any racing game.
    What Rym said. Battle mode is pointless. I haven't even clicked on it even once.