This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080708 - Tribes 2

edited July 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we fawn over the greatest FPS of all time, before it was ruined, Tribes 2. In the news Blizzard announced clickfest 3 and a game doesn't have to be a series of interesting decisions.

Scott's Thing - Papercraft Terrain
Rym's Thing - Rise and fall of Tribes 2 told in comic form

Comments

• Ah mans, great memories with Tribes 1 and 2. I remember calling my friend to tell him I was holding it in my hand when it came out. I got the awful ps2 semi-port but nothing can top the original.
  • Nice compilation Rym. How long did that take you?
  • Tribes 1 was the first game I played on the intertubes with a friend from school.

Memories! :D
  • I've never played Tribes 2, and hearing you talk about it got me really hyped up. Like, REALLY hyped. I was believing that this was the greatest game ever made. And then when you started talking about how it got ruined, I literally got a little choked up. How could a game like this die so soon?
  • Now I want to play tribes.

Bring it on.
  • edited July 2008
    Instant Action

The old Tribes devs went on to make Fallen Empire Legions. It runs in the browser and quite well even on my old radeon 9600. I never got to play Tribes myself, but from what I have heard it plays a lot like the old Tribes.

The site also has some other lesser games that are not really worth play a whole lot.

Edit: Next time I'll not pause the show before I paste a link to something that you guys mention in the show. Ohh well everyone should give it a shot. Its not terrible, just not great.
    Post edited by GlassOnion on
  • The Legions game on Instant Action is like Tribes light. Sure, you got the jetpacks, and the flag capturing, and all that. However, the maps are much smaller and simpler. There are far fewer players. You don't have anywhere near the assortment of equipment that was available in the original Tribes games.

I think what helped Tribes so much was that it has its roots in Starsiege, a mech game. Mech games are all about customizing the robot with a wide array of available equipment. That transferred over to an fps beautifully. You had all the good parts of a mech game, but the speed and ease of play that comes with an fps.
  • Nice compilation Rym. How long did that take you?
    Sadly, less than ten minutes. I remembered each of the strips I wanted to use already: I just had to go get them. Pipe Four found the PA comics, and I used those dates to find the BBoCS ones. Most of the time was spend re-reading BBoCS and generally reminiscing.
  • edited July 2008
    wah, wrong thread :/
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • It is possible to invert the y-axis in Legions.

I thought Legions was a lot of fun but I can't compare it to Tribes since I didn't play many PC games back then. I knew about the skiing mechanics but not all the other stuff you guys talked about. The game is still in development though; it looks like they will be adding different weight classes soon. Sounds like they've still got a long way to go before they get to a Tribes level of awesome bonus crap.
  • It is possible to invert the y-axis in Legions.
    Awesome. Granted, they'll need to add it to the interface properly at some point.

I'll try playing again when I get home.
  • Shit...if you want to talk about huge maps, I can only mention one game. ArmA. The entire game is only played on one single map, which if you were to walk, I would guess it would take you at least 24 hours to walk from the south island to the northern island. Seriously, this game is massive.
  • After listening to this I can now understand why you are down on TF2. Tribes is sort of the tract-less steppe to TF2's tract filled mountains. I'm certainly interested in playing the game now. I tried Tribes 1 back in the day but never really got into it, mostly because I had no idea what the hell was going on.
  • In the last few hours I have got up to hitting bots in the head with the spinfusor from significant range so if the teams are balanced it shouldn't be so hard. I take it one of the updates nerfed the laser rifle as it takes a fully charged shot and a half to kill even a scout.
  • I take it one of the updates nerfed the laser rifle as it takes a fully charged shot and a half to kill even a scout.
    You aren't hitting the head.
  • Even hitting the crown of the head, I have only scored one or two instant kills.
  • Even hitting the crown of the head, I have only scored one or two instant kills.
    Welcome to HARD. Just about the only way to get really instant kills is to devastate somebody. We're talking about having mortars or bombs land on their heads, or multiple plasma blasts to the face. Remember, Tribes spawned from a 'mech game, not an fps. Everyone has armor, even light armor, that actually works. Not like other fpses where armor doesn't mean anything.
  • Is there any way to drop the mouse sensitivity when you zoom in? Possibly having it decrease with each zoom level?
  • Welcome to HARD. Just about the only way to get really instant kills is to devastate somebody. We're talking about having mortars or bombs land on their heads, or multiple plasma blasts to the face. Remember, Tribes spawned from a 'mech game, not an fps. Everyone has armor, even light armor, that actually works. Not like other fpses where armor doesn't mean anything.
    This is one thing that has always bugged me. In every FPS I've ever played, having armor or not makes no discernible difference as to how much damage you can take.
  • I just rediscovered my old Tribes 2 game CD. I played for such a short time "after the fall" and found Planetside afterwards. If anyone could figure out a way to get a server up with pre-patch settings, the glory days could return.
  • In every FPS I've ever played, having armor or not makes no discernible difference as to how much damage you can take.
    In Weapons Factory, Tribes, and most other earlier FPSs, armour has a profound effect.
  • In every FPS I've ever played, having armor or not makes no discernible difference as to how much damage you can take.
    In Weapons Factory, Tribes, and most other earlier FPSs, armour has a profound effect.
    It's one thing to make an fps where misses miss and hits kill. It's another thing entirely to make an fps where you need a really good hit to kill, and a not so great hit will only damage, at best. To make it even better, damage is reparable in all of these games. You think the heavy/medic is something new and fancy? You haven't seen a squad of Tribes heavies where someone has a repair pack.
  • You think the heavy/medic is something new and fancy? You haven't seen a squad of Tribes heavies where someone has a repair pack.
    Or a heavy-train backed by jetpack welders. Whoo whoo: heavy train!
  • That is the kind of stuff I need to play.
  • When it comes to FPS's, I cut my teeth on CS 1.6. It took me hours of playing TF2 to get used to the idea that racking up kills isn't the objective. I'm intrigued by the ideas put forth by Tribes 2. Is it difficult to play as a pilot with keyboard/mouse?
  • Is it difficult to play as a pilot with keyboard/mouse?
    Not really, you just need to turn slightly earlier than you would expect.

I doubt we will be able to run the game without the patches, are they really that bad? I've been playing what I think is the most up to date version and things don't seem that off.
  • edited July 2008
    Awesome. Granted, they'll need to add it to the interface properly at some point.

I'll try playing again when I get home.
    New build today added it along with a bunch of other stuff in the options menu.

I installed Tribes 2. Skiing is either a lot harder or I'm doing something wrong because I couldn't get any speed at all.
    Post edited by Lancer on
  • I found this and thought it would be helpful for anyone looking to get into T2.
  • edited July 2008
    I found this and thought it would be helpful for anyone looking to get into T2.
    Omnutia already linked to that in the other thread.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2008
    I found this and thought it would be helpful for anyone looking to get into T2.
    Omnutia already linked to that in the other thread.
    Yet you conveniently forgot to mention my name when it came up in the show.
    Are we any further along with setting up a server? What's the Geekhaus's upload speed like?

My progress in terms of game play:
    • I can just about nail a turret with the mortar.
    • Hitting an AI scout with the spinfusor in mid-air is a bit of a challenge still.
    • I really want to see how the tank and bomber work.
    • Mini turrets are lethal and often hard to find in a hurry.
    • I can ski in canyon maps but have learned you need to find the right kind of hill to translate that into rapid lateral movement (if the hill stops too abruptly without a ramp off you just slam strait into the floor.).
    • I'm also absolutely sure no helmet could take that many shots with a laser that takes as much energy as can fling a man several kilometers.
    Post edited by Omnutia on