This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080722 - Mega Man

edited July 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we reminisce about the greatness that is Mega Man. In the news, new Castlevanias, new Sonic, and new Mega Man, coincidence?

Scott's Thing - Favicon Defender
Rym's Thing - My name is Cloud

Comments

• Rym's Thing -My name is Cloud
    Hah. The Vice-President of my anime club loves this song.
  • The Cloud Song is a long-time meme among my group of friends. That video is just amazing.
  • The Cloud Song is a long-time meme among my group of friends. That video is just amazing.
    My friend Troy showed it to my crew a few months ago. We sung it a lot for awhile.
  • I'm in an abusive relationship with 3D Sonic games. They are all terrible, but I keep coming back.
  • They are all terrible, but I keep coming back.
    Sonic Adventure 2 isn't terrible. But the rest are.
  • Mega Man Legends is fucking awesome. I really liked finding stuff in the dungeons and then refining them into subweapons. The game does not control well, but everything else is perfect.
  • Mega Man Legends is fucking awesome. I really liked finding stuff in the dungeons and then refining them into subweapons. The game does not control well, but everything else is perfect.
    I agree, not to mention I love the slight references of the older games...Or maybe that's because MML is set a millennium after them.
  • I believe it occurs even after Megaman Zero in the timeline.
    The psudo-agreed upon fannon (God I hate that term, but I can't think of anything better to use) timeline is:
    Megaman -> Megaman X -> Megaman Zero -> Megaman That DS one that's like Zero but not -> Megaman Legends.
  • I believe it occurs even after Megaman Zero in the timeline.
    The psudo-agreed upon fannon (God I hate that term, but I can't think of anything better to use) timeline is:
    Megaman -> Megaman X -> Megaman Zero -> Megaman ZX -> Megaman Legends.
    Megaman Zero is an offshoot out of one of the non cannon endings of a megaman x game, I think it was the fifth one.
    Yeah, I remember first seeing it a few years back. Someone had linked me to the DevArt site of the person who originally created it (spookydoom). My friends and I all love it to bits. <3
  • edited July 2008
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Thisis awesome:Mega Man 9 box art! 8-bit fidelity!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/23/capcom-to-sell-intentionally-awful-mega-man-9-shirts/
    Wow. Holy crap, wow. I was thinking that maybe someone at Capcom had figured it out, but I wasn't sure. Now there is no doubt that Capcom is on the fucking ball.
  • Yay! PAX announcements! I have been telling all my friends that you guys were coming and that they should attend your panel. I don't know if they are into RP'ing anymore, but I'm sure they will find the panel interesting.

As for Labor Day Monday, I'm down to hang out. Let me know. I know Seattle fairly well along with some of the cooler geeky places. If you guys have any questions in particular about certain spots, please feel free to ask. ^_^
  • They are all terrible, but I keep coming back.
    Sonic Adventure 2 isn't terrible. But the rest are.
    Agreed, Except for Sonic Heroes (for its interesting game mechanic) and Shadow the Hedgehog (for being bad ass).

WHY, SEGA?! Why would you screw up such an awesome franchise?! But I suppose this is what you get for hanging around with the likes of Nintendo.
  • Sonic Heroes
    I
    HATE
    THIS
    GAME
    SO
    MUCH.
    SERIOUSLY. How can you make a game that fucks up AUTOMATED JUMPS.
  • Agreed, Except for Sonic Heroes (for its interesting game mechanic) and Shadow the Hedgehog (for being bad ass).
    Of god, Shadow the Hedgehog was dire. A big smelly pile of dire.

I completed Sonic Rush Adventure on the DS recently. Not that bad.
  • Shadow The Hedgehog was great, so fuck you.
  • During this episode, I think I had an epiphany.

During my salad days, I had a friend named Tony who, when I first met him, only had a NES. All the rest of us had our super cool playstations, and would occassionally tease him, for he had to put up with old games... like the Mega Man franchise.
    Needless to say, the kid had beat all of the original Mega Mans while we were all playing Tekken and Tony Hawk Pro Skater (Back when the game was fresh and new). Eventually, the Dreamcast days emerged Soul Calibur became the new cool thing, and Tony eventually got himself one.

Since then, Tony has been one of the most freakishly amazing gamers ever. He's the school champion of SSB, has beaten Guitar Hero II on expert, can hold his own in Halo despite never having an XBox, and is also freakishly awesome at any sport or non-videotronic game I've ever played with him.

Now I'm certain it's because he was playing freakishly unforgiving NES game while we were spoiled with our current gen games.
    I'm also certain I need to download a few emulators...
  • Protoman's Japanese name was Blues and there were plans to add a female character companion for him named Rhythm.
  • I haven't played a Sonic game since Sonic CD back in mid-late 90s.

I don't get the impression that I've missed much.
  • Protoman's Japanese name was Blues and there were plans to add a female character companion for him named Rhythm.
    I knew that. I so stupid. Queue the thought bird.
  • A good example of a developer who hit their thing and kept going with it is Ubisoft with the Heroes of Might and Magic series. I'm a big fan of the games, and HOMM V is more of the same good stuff.
  • A good example of a developer who hit their thing and kept going with it is Ubisoft with the Heroes of Might and Magic series. I'm a big fan of the games, and HOMM V is more of the same good stuff.
    Yeah, those games haven't changed at all.
  • edited July 2008
    Wiley's Castle music, nuff' said. This Song. Wiley's Castle
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • I'm glad I'm not the only MML fan around.
    I was getting ready to storm into the forum and change everyone's minds. Then I realized that the fight was to change Scott's and I know how futile that can be.
  • Anyone ever play Mega Man Soccer on the SNES? I kind of remember renting it as a kid. I remember it being a decent game, but then again that was a long time ago. I have to go get the rom or something and see if it is terrible or not.
  • Anyone ever play Mega Man Soccer on the SNES? I kind of remember renting it as a kid. I remember it being a decent game, but then again that was a long time ago. I have to go get the rom or something and see if it is terrible or not.
    It's a charming game in many ways, but it's also terrible. If it weren't Mega Man, it would be just another really bad SNES game.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only MML fan around.
    I was getting ready to storm into the forum and change everyone's minds. Then I realized that the fight was to change Scott's and I know how futile that can be.
    For the record, I'm a MML fan as well, although I think it would have done just as well without the Mega Man name.
  • Oh man.. that Sonic Unleashed trailer has me pumped now (at least the first half of it does.) It looks like Sonic Rush but on a console, which is quite the awesome.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, were quite great, being as they had something that all the other 3D Sonic (Heroes, Shadow, and the Next Gen one) games so sorely lacked: Polish.
    They were games that did not have piss poor level design, floors that were glitchy as hell that made you randomly fall to your death, long load times, crap cameras, and the fact that you had to play through the same exact crap levels like 10 times times to get to the real final boss.

The last 3 3D games felt really rushed. I however, do get the feeling that this new game will have some merit to it, even if it has a tacked-on were-wolf-hedgehog mode to it. I'm approaching it with cautious optimism.
  • edited July 2008
    Grammar Nazi reporting in:
    pile of dire.
    Is dire even a noun?
    Queue the thought bird.
    You mean cue?

Also, you guys mentioned that the Castlevania Double Pack for GBA has the first 2 GBA games. Actually, it doesn't. The GBA games are, in order: Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow. The Double Pack has HoD and AoS, thus, the last 2 games, not the first two.
    Just pointing that out....

Also, I agree about your points on innovating. New Mario and Metroid levels would kick ass. They don't really need to innovate so much. Innovating is nice, especially in the case of what you said about fixing old problems.

And as for the ROM edits...yeah. There are a lot of Mario World edits out there. Most are hard as fuck, yet totally awesome.
    Post edited by Dkong on