This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080819 - North and South

edited August 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we briefly review the old NES game North and South. In the news, Bionic Commando has rearmed and virtual world historians exist. Also, go to Battle at Bellmawr if you can.

Scott's Thing - Wii DVD Playback
Rym's Thing - 8-bit Slayer

Comments

We've gone back in time one day?
  • Love the track that is played during the Bionic Commando Rearmed trailer. Fucking ace.
  • edited August 2008
    Bionic Commando Rearmed is fucking awesome, and everyone should buy it. The soundtrack is sweet as hell. The song from the trailer is the music from the power plant. Check out the totally awesome Japanese trailer!
    Post edited by Railith on
  • Super Joe is voiced by Spike.

Spencer is voiced by Mike Patton.

Rearmed is the shit. It's also BEEN out. It's not "coming" :)

Also, the 3D game looks meaaaan!
  • Thanks for plugging Battle at Bellmawr. And just so anyone who is interested knows it's gonna help raise money for the American Cancer Society.
  • Thanks for plugging Battle at Bellmawr.
    I don't think we need thanks for telling people to go to something that's awesome, except perhaps from the people who go as a result. ^_~
  • Also in the world of 2D gaming we just had Braid which was a good puzzle platformer.
  • Are you back to 4 nights a week? Or are you just going to do the Monday and Tuesday shows this week?
  • But surely the biggest news in this episode is the return of the 4-days-a-week schedule - who would have thought??!!
  • I got a flyer for Battle at Bellmawr at Otakon. I really want to go, (my mom even has a house in Belmar,) but that day I'm moving up to Rochester.
  • The guys have already stated that the 2-nights-a-week schedule was just a sabbatical schedule, and that the regular 4-nights would start up again after con season (or so I've been lead to understand).
  • I understood hat it would go back to normal after PAX, but hey, there's a Wednesday show out... so I guess we're back to regular schedule now?
  • I understood hat it would go back to normal after PAX, but hey, there's a Wednesday show out... so I guess we're back to regular schedule now?
    All will be made clear tonight. Many will be disappointed. ^_~
  • Just making up for last week, guys. Sorry.
  • I think I prefer the sabbatical schedule, the shows tend to be more thought out and prepared this way. And besides, between this show, an After Effects podcast, and Dave and Joel, I have enough podcasts to last me during my half hour bus ride to work.
  • Thanks to this podcast, I learned that the reason why North & South looks cartoony is because it's based on a long-running series of Belgian comics called Les Tuniques Bleues about a pair of cavalrymen that largely takes place during the Civil War.

The crying shame here is that of the fifty-one volumes of this work, spanning over thirty years of publication, a mere handful of pages have been translated and published in English--46 pages, to be exact. And good luck finding it--Amazon has the English volume on sale for $30 from third-party sellers.

How I wish there were a fan-translation project for this.
  • Also, go to Battle at Bellmawr if you can.
    I am working through some of the archives and just ran to my computer after hearing this. Unfortunately this event was in Bellmawr NJ, which is kinda far from me, and not Belmar NJ, which is the real Belmar, and 15 minutes away. Would be great to find more local gamers. If I'm gonna go to Bellmawr, I'll just the opposite direction into NYC instead.
  • edited April 2011
    Another opinion on North and South
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Another opinion on North and South
    Page not found?
  • Broken linked fixed due to missing quote.