This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dentistry

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
Thanks guys...I hate going to the dentist, I can't handle things in my mouth, I loathe the injections and it always takes them 5,000 to numb me up. Just what I wanted an episode about dentists.

Oh and I think my Widom Teeth are coming through.

Maggoty teeth *shudder*

Oh on the eye thing, when I was a nursing student there was this woman who needed to have her eye out and they did it under local anesthesia. It sounded horrible, imagine having your eye taken out and being able to feel it being removed, ugh. The stupid thing was that the poor woman was dying, like that she was going to die in a few days so it really wasn't necessary.

Comments

• What was her condition? Why did her eye need taken out?

I think it's a perfectly valid procedure if it helped alleviate pain and suffering for the last few days of her life. I'd sure as hell want it if it would do the same for me.

Local though? HELL no. I can't even use contacts. Hell, I can't even use eye drops!
  • The eye is normally an immune priveleged site so if it gets punctured or immune cells start getting in there it has to be taken out. If you let the immune system have access to the eye the white blood cells will start destroying the eye. Once that happens the immune system will go after the other eye and blind you. Even if the woman wasn't going to die immediately, leaving a damaged eye would probably only kill her faster.
  • Thats bizzare, I had no idea that immune system would attack the eye. I wonder why that is? Do you have a possible link so I could read up on this?
  • Immune privileged sites include the eyes, ovaries, testicles, hamster cheek pouches and the brain. Those are the only ones I remember off the top of my head. Most of the stuff I could find was either really watered down or heavy reading but I hope it helps.

Eye damage - Uveitis
    Intermediate reading on it
    Heavy reading on autoimmunity
    Immunology textbook with some pictures
  • Well it gave her two days of being on more medication than she was on before and pain and being sent to a 6 bed ward with crazy old people peeing on the floor.
  • edited July 2006
    Am listening to the dentistry podcast right now, and there's a comment about fillings I have to make. A couple of years ago, I went to a dentist (not my normal place, because he was on holiday in someplace else) to get a filling. They x-rayed my teeth, did the filling and they kinda said, 'Okay, this filling shall be one that will only last a year until your proper dentist comes back'. I went out of that place, and within the hour I had somehow managed to take out the filling. I don't know how, and when I went to my normal dentist, he didn't even mention anything about me needing a filling. What the hell.

About playing the trumpet with braces: My friend plays the trumpet, is crazy good at it, whatever. When she had braces, she dealt with that by putting blu-tac ontop of the braces so they couldn't cut into her lips. I neither have had nor have braces, and I've only played the trumpet for 2 minutes (ever) and so I'm not really sure how it works, but whatever.

Okay, I listened some more, and I listened to the teeth implants bit. My dad has one of those. Those days after he got the titanium screw in and they were waiting for the gum to heal over... every 5 minutes it was like 'Wanna see my teeth?!' from my dad.
    Post edited by bertina on
  • RymRym
    edited July 2006
    I used to wax my braces before playing. ^_^ (I may still have a canister of the dental wax lying around).

The issue wasn't playing with braces so much as playing after I had them out. My lip muscles were so used to having the gap caused by the braces that I couldn't hold my embouchure when it was gone. Took me several weeks to re-train. (I could play, just not with good tonality).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I hated braces, they were evil.
  • I went into the dentistry episode with some trepidation. You see, while I am certainly not an expert in dentistry, my wife is in dental school and can be considered at the very least an expert-in-training. I have the great fortune to be a repository of all her vast, useless dental facts. However, despite my initial qualms, I was impressed with how remarkably well-informed Rym and Scott were. Bearing in mind that I have nothing useful to add, I'll instead eject a few of the aforementioned dental facts knocking around my skull and hopefully free some room for an upcoming CPA exam.

- By not flossing you miss cleaning between 30-35% of your teeth.
    - When brushing your teeth, you should only exert as much pressure as you could exert if holding the toothbrush between your thumb and index and middle fingers.
    - You were indeed correct when you mentioned how generally useless toothpaste is. It adds flavor and not a whole lot more (unless its Fluoride toothpaste, of course). In fact, the most important factor of tooth care is time - you should brush your teeth for two minutes, twice daily.
    - The reason amalgam fillings take up more room than composite fillings is because an amalgam filling can't be chemically bonded to a tooth like a composite can. Therefore, a dentist must essentially drill a hole in an inverted cone shape, so as to hold the amalgam in the tooth.
    - Subsumed by Flesh would be a great name for a metal band.
  • edited July 2006
    Wisdom teeth... ahh, wisdom teeth. I think the reason you hear so many horror stories about them is partly because people like to exaggerate, and partly because some people really don't handle it well. It IS a surgery, after all, though recovery times and effects can vary depending on how you have it done. From what I've seen, there are two main ways (or rather, places) where you can get them taken out - in the dentist/ oral surgeon's office with local anaesthetics, (sp?) or in the hospital where they put you out totally.

I needed all four of my wisdom teeth removed - they were impacted and growing in sideways. Basically the worries with that are getting them out before they're fully grown in - otherwise the roots of the teeth might grow up into your sinus, which can cause sinus problems, or down into this nerve along your jaw, which can leave you feeling numb and otherwise fuck things up. Because I had all four coming in, and since I was the first one in my family to have problems with them (both my parents had them come in fine, and my sister was younger and didn't have to deal with this yet) - we decided that I should have them removed at the hospital.

Looking back I think that was a bit over-cautious, and probably alot more expensive and... uncomfortable. The tranq pills they gave me before the surgery made me giggle madly for no reason, and were all fine and dandy, but I don't deal with IVs well at all (they had to put it in my hand.) I don't remember anything from being put under though - just some guy going "I'm going to give you the happy gas now" and then waking up to some bitchy nurse pulling electrodes off of me. Waking up again was really weird, I was very confused and couldn't really breathe (probably because there had just been a pipe down my throat moments before, or something.)

Note: trying to use the bathroom while there's an IV stuck into your wiping hand really sucks. Also, having the IV pulled around while hanging from a track on the ceiling that makes the needle in your hand vibrate: similarly not cool.

Recovery? I bled for about two or three days, and had the classic swollen chipmunk cheeks. On the plus side, there was lots of soup and painkillers and I missed school, but on the down side, I couldn't brush my teeth for a few days. And with all the blood... that was quite foul. However, for as hard a time as I had, three of my friends who had their wisdom teeth removed in the dentist's office fared much better. My sister's mouth bled for only about a day, and Atheri here in the forums was able to call and talk to me hours after it was done. Fuggers!

So, for every horror story, it seems there are an equal number of people whose wisdom teeth grew in with no problems at all, and an equal number of people who recovered quickly and had very few complications. It's probably best to get them removed in the dentist's office for the least hassle.

Okay, that was really freaking long. My apologies.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • edited July 2006
    I agree that a lot of people exaggerate. I have had to go in twice for getting teeth pulled. When I was in middle school before I got my braces I had the "vampire teeth" pulled, basically because one was a baby tooth with no adult replacement and the other was just not right. My dad has the same baby tooth thing but he still has his. I only had 3 wisdom teeth, and I didn't get them out till my last year of college (before my dad's insurance ran out ;p). Both times it was just a local anesthetic, so I get to remember all the stuff they were doing. It was fun and very strange at the same time. Man do they use a lot of force to get those suckers out.

What made it interesting for me, was that my one lower wisdom tooth was still in the jaw bone, since it was partially impacted. So I got to hear him drilling into my jaw bone, then using what I can only describe as a hammer and punch to split the tooth into 4 pieces so he could take it out easily. The top two had already broken through the gums so they came out with amazing ease, just one good tug. Even after the fact a bit of Advil was enough for the pain, I never used my codeine prescription. I did take one codeine pill the right before the Novocaine wore off since I didn't know what to expect, the pill was leftover from my sister having hers out and she filled the prescription but didn't use it.

I have had overall good experiences at the dentists office, though my little sister however did not. My family has used the same practice for everybody, run by two dentists that are married (I always prefer to deal with the guy, his wife is kind of a bitch). When my sister was very young (before normal cleanings started up) she needed some work on her baby teeth, I don't remember what was wrong but it wasn't cavities. Our usual dentist did a horrible job of dealing with such a young child and basically traumatized her. My mom had to take her to a different dentist since she couldn't get my sister to go anywhere near the other office after that without freaking out. I have no idea what happened..
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • I went to the dentest yesteryday. Just a check up.
  • A comment on the news story:
    Actually, RIT does subscribe a music download thing. I don’t know how long they’ve had it, but they were promoting it all of last year. In the fall they gave out 3000 free accounts for the first people to sign up, and then pretty much every day of spring quarter there was a table right in front of Ben and Jerry’s giving out key chains and trying to get more people to sign up. They have a pretty good selection (there’s plenty of indie stuff on there that you can’t find on the hub), but the DRM that comes with it is ridiculous. As far as I know, you can’t get around it either. Needless to say, it has been wildly unsuccessful.
  • You should make that a new discussion, Rampant.
  • edited July 2006
    The cropping up of this conversation just reminded me that I need to make an appointment. Good thing too. They had a cancellation tomorrow afternoon and then nothing else until the 4th.

And I'll be damned if I take a day off my first Otakon to get my teeth cleaned.
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • Heh, I just got back from a near emergency trip to a dentist. To cut the story short, I needed to have a tooth out. What surprised me was how damn fast the whole procedure was: sit down, examination (poking and prodding), x-ray, anaesthetic, pliers, drill, tweezing out the remainder, gauze wad, done, all in about 15 minutes. No pain, just a bit of surreality when I heard my tooth break off. Eww.

All in all, an enlightening experience.
  • edited July 2006
    You're not supposed to tell someone this when they've got an appointment in 4 hours!

((shudder))
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • I like my dentist he's hot.