This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081007 - Villa Paletti

edited October 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the most excellent board game, Villa Paletti. In the news, our fans sent us a puppet, and Nintendo announces the DSi.

Scott's Thing - A Tragic Mistake
Rym's Thing - The Real Line Rider

Comments

• Kick ass things of the day. Now to listen to the episode...
  • Stop with the puppet fondling...

Of course the puppet is cursed. All puppets are cursed, they contain the souls of the eternally damned. Frogurt is the dessert of the damned, since it is also cursed.
  • So basically, by your explanation, this game is a colourful version of Jenga with a point system and funky shaped plates. Awesome TotD's though.
  • edited October 2008
    How they did it:

They handed a card out to everyone in the crowd, with words correlating to the customization thing in Fallout 3 "S.P.E.C.I.A.L"

I, Intelligence, earned you a puppet. I think there were like 2000 of them. Other things included posters, signed posters, the game and a bunch of other shit. That cool book you referred to was free at the booth.

Also, Fallout's totally playable. I just got it off of GoG. It's hard to play, but it's alright.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • So basically, by your explanation, this game is a colourful version of Jenga with a point system and funky shaped plates.
    For those you haven't played it: this game is really, really, really good fun, easy to play and very quick to set up. And it has a certain amount of strategy which is very rare for such a fun game. The only thing I don't like about it is that I want it to be BIGGER with more pieces, maybe longer sticks and some different shaped boards to make the games more epic. But you know hat? If I really cared I could make those pieces myself.

Also, playing the game but reversing the order of placing the boards (don't bother with the red one) is fun, but I've only done this as a two player game for variety.
  • For those you haven't played it: this game is really, really, really good fun, easy to play and very quick to set up.
    You make it sound like I was saying that it was bad!
  • edited October 2008
    Why dissing on the Virtual Boy. It was the best gaming system known to man. I mean come on you have a purplish kinda 3d looking guy holding an oversized tennis racket and... Um... never mind that thing sucked. My friend bought it before me and I'm glad because otherwise I would have wasted good money on that piece of junk. Villa Paletti looks awesome.
    Edit: I still have not seen the Fallout Puppet (due to internet filtering at work). To Rym: If you do anything with yours will you post a link to it on the forum?
    Post edited by Bobblun on
  • I made one Line Rider level, and then I was done with the game. I did pretty much everything I could think of without adding extraneous illustrations.

It would be nice if it wasn't so laggy, but my computer was even crappier back then than it is now.
  • I made one Line Rider level, and then I was done with the game. I did pretty much everything I could think of without adding extraneous illustrations.

It would be nice if it wasn't so laggy, but my computer was even crappier back then than it is now.
    Holy shit. How long did that take you?
  • edited October 2008
    I made one Line Rider level, and then I was done with the game. I did pretty much everything I could think of without adding extraneous illustrations.

Holy shit. How long did that take you?
    A bit over an hour. It was a rainy Saturday, and I had nothing better to do.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited October 2008
    Since I'm nitpicky when I hear americans trying to pronounce german: Scott, Jahr, as in Spiel des Jahres, is pronounced like Yakuza, not like Jar. So take the Ya from Yakuza and put at the end a res like in resolution for the last word in "Spiel des Jahres". :)
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I really want to get this game now. I can't remember the last time I actually played a board game, much less had the desire to purchase one. I think it was back when I was into pokemon and saw pokemon monopoly at the local wal mart.

Also, the DSi does look like it has some interesting features. However so long as my DS Light continues to work just fine I really have no interest in purchasing it. It is the same way I've felt about my iPod nano. Sure I could get the new one but when the one I have still works just fine and is compatible with the software I use with it, why bother?
  • edited October 2008
    Glad you liked the package, guys. We'll definitely be at PAX next year. Maybe we'll grab a beer or something down at the market. :)

Also, Kristin graduated from Chico State. She's since started her own company. I am more or less uneducated, and work as a video editor for a dotcom.
    Post edited by Shaun on
  • Hey Gothfather,

I remember seeing you in line with your fiance and some friends playing a card game. What game where you playing? You once told me, however I forgot. It looked pretty interesting , and I'm curious to check it out. Thanks.
  • Hey Gothfather,

I remember seeing you in line with your fiance and some friends playing a card game. What game where you playing? You once told me, however I forgot. It looked pretty interesting , and I'm curious to check it out. Thanks.
    I remember it being some matching game similar to set.
  • edited October 2008
    You've persuaded me to buy the game.

Also, I was reminded of the 2x4 Jenga games my dorm used to lure in freshmen during dorm rush.

EDIT: Oh, and "A Tragic Mistake" is really funny. I'd already seen it on another forum and posted it to my Zephyr class.

EDIT2: Zephyr is an IM client we've been using at MIT for a couple of decades. It has these things called classes which are sort of a functional cross between twitter feeds and chatrooms.
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • It's called Jungle Speed. It was the first time that I'd played it, and it was a blast. Of course, I like pretty much any game that encourages physical violence between players. The company that makes it also makes a game called Cash 'n Guns, which is also fun, although I don't know if I'd classify it as a "good" game.
  • I like pretty much any game that encourages physical violence between players.
    While it doesn't really involve physical violence between players, whenever my friends and I play Lunch Money we imitate the fighting moves of the cards we play as well as give verbally express the attack cards to each other. One example is when we play the "Pimp Slap" card we imitate one of those pimps you see in those 70's movies with the platform shoes and polyester suit saying, "Bitch, where's my money?!"

Also, thanks for the links.

(P.S. OMG Board Game Geek isn't blocked anymore at work. Huzzah!)
  • It's calledJungle Speed. It was the first time that I'd played it, and it was a blast. Of course, I like pretty much any game that encourages physical violence between players. The company that makes it also makes a game calledCash 'n Guns, which is also fun, although I don't know if I'd classify it as a "good" game.
    Based on the distinctions Scrym made some time ago, I wouldn't call Cash 'n Guns a good game, but I would definitely call it a fun game. ;)
  • The Fallout puppets were given to whoever waited in line for an hour or so. You had to have a voucher that they gave out early in the day to actually get a puppet though...