This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

OS-tans VN : Official Thread

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
The premise: (based off a few of you)
A young CS freshman at a tech school operates a computer building/repair service out of his tiny apartment, which is crammed full of PCs (and their components) both new and old. After a particularly rough day, involving getting turned down by the girl he likes, he comes home to find his main computer on, the command line prompt asking something along the lines of:
>>run magical_trouble y/n

Confused, he tries to restart, but to no avail. However, when he pushes "y" all the monitors lining the wall begin to glow, there is a crash of thunder, and he falls unconscious to the floor. Upon awakening, he finds that he is not alone, and that the various OSes on his computers have manifested themselves in the form of girls! Balancing college, his job, and his cramped apartment full of odd new roommates (all matriculated in the CS department, of course), will our hero fall in love or lose his mind?

Starring (Here's the initial line up. I want to keep it around 6)

Windows 98-tan - Imouto-kei, a shy high school girl
Windows.me-tan - The klutzy, goofy-cute leek swinging pigtailed girl
Windows 2000-tan - The older sister type. A professional, stable, voice of reason.
Windows XP-tan - The well-endowed, somewhat ditzy popular girl, who occasionally blurts out a gem of wisdom.
(should we cross her with Homeko? Make her a bossy fujoshi otaku type? I think regular XP-tan is cute but boring.)
Windows Vista-tan - Haven't decided.
Tiger-tan - The only Mac girl, a smart, energetic-yet-sympathetic teenager
Ubuntu-tan - Linux girl!

Now here's where you guys come in. Let's think of inside jokes about the different operating systems. How would you appeal to them, what would get you a bad end? I want to make this a visual novel that people on this forum would get a kick out of playing, not just any old MOE~ garbage. All you OStan fans, come out of the woodwork and help me think of good situations! Programmers, we need you too! Yaru zo!

Comments

• If you need someone to help draw characters or backgrounds, I can help. Otherwise I won't be much help on this. I will say, though, that Tiger-tan needs to be stereotypically artsy.
  • Vista-tan is just XP-tan but really shiny.
  • Vista tan should be the really beautiful girl that hides behind a really geeky/plain appearance. So she's known for her mind and not her looks.
  • edited October 2008
    These are based on the Nijiura ideas. Katsuuuuuuu, where are you when I need you? Stop playing WOW and get over here!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • These are based on the Nijiura ideas. Katsuuuuuuu, where are you when I need you? Stop playing WOW and get over here!
    I didn't know Katsu played WoW. Have we lost another one? I would drop the number of FRC un-infected from 7 to 6.
  • Sounds a bit like A.I. Love You.
  • I didn't know Katsu played WoW.
    His co-workers got him into it.
  • I didn't know Katsu played WoW. Have we lost another one? I would drop the number of FRC un-infected from 7 to 6.
    Join usssssssss
  • edited October 2008
    Victor Khaze reporting for VO duty!
    If it's okay, I'd like to claim the role of the young male protagonist...Unless anyone else wants to do it too in which case an audition should be held.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Vista-tan is just XP-tan but really shiny.
    Make sure whenever someone tells Vista-tan to do something, she asks "Are you absolutely sure you want to do that?"
  • Make sure whenever someone tells Vista-tan to do something, she asks "Are you absolutely sure you want to do that?"
    That's a good one, MUST add it.
  • edited October 2008
    It's good to see that someone around here isn't a total shit-talker...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Time to take a stab at my self:

~ Leopard-tan, a a girl in a Leopard suit, but all sexy and big boobs. Why big? because 10.5 (leopard) has what is called 'stacks' in the docks to organize stuff and access to files. So she's stacked.

~ 'New' Mac-tan, Shiny with a glass and brushed-aluminum, 1-piece swim suit.

I'll try to make some basic sketches, but I'm not as good as I use to be.
    edited October 2008
     * Loading tan_framework... [ ok ]
     * Starting tan.d... [ ok ]
     * Loading augmented_reality drivers... [ ok ]
     * Starting augmented_reality.d... [ ok ]
     * Setting user preferences... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/w32_98... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/w32_me... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/w32_2000... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/w32_xp... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/osx_tiger... [ ok ]
     * Loading /tan/gnu-linux_ubuntu... [ ok ]

> run magical_trouble? [Y/n] █

An idea, have Linux try to be friends with Tiger with such arguments as "But we're both UNIX-based! We should stick together. *sad face*", to which Tiger could use the fanboy reply "Bah, I'm better than you, shoo!". Don't know how the main character would fit into this.

Morio-kun, I don't think you have to describe clothing. They'll be wearing normal clothes when going to classes anyway. Also, every computer has 'stacks'. And for OS-tans breast size generally translates to RAM requirements. Lastly, this quote might interest you/shatter your ideas.
    Tiger-tan - The only Mac girl
    (Yes, I'm having too much fun with the css's and fake command line)
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    (Yes, I'm having too much fun with the css's and fake command line)
    Yes! That is awesome! Can I use it?
    Make sure whenever someone tells Vista-tan to do something, she asks "Are you absolutely sure you want to do that?"
    Also good!
    Leopard-tan, a a girl in a Leopard suit, but all sexy and big boobs. Why big? because 10.5 (leopard) has what is called 'stacks' in the docks to organize stuff and access to files. So she's stacked.
    Big breasts, like those of XP, are usually used to symbolize a bloated operating system and RAM usage. The only reason why I decided against Leopard as the "Mac" in the house was that her design is not as well known as tiger's, and I like tiger's personality.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Yes! That is awesome! Can I use it?
    You asked for input/ideas. You may use whatever I come up with in this thread, besides, I brainstormed with your idea as a basis and just made it look prettier.
  • Are you going full on 3D with this, traditional, or digital?
  • So are we using those designs for the characters? I started doing some sketches of my own version of Tiger-tan. :(
  • You forgot Arch-tan, I'll get working on some rough ideas for Linux-tans. Do Pre-2000 OSs have to be styled like 98-tan?
    Also, Mac tans have to be complete bitches.
  • Make sure whenever someone tells Vista-tan to do something, she asks "Are you absolutely sure you want to do that?"
    Also good!
    That wasn't me (it was Andrew) but, yeah, tis a great idea.
  • Also, Mac tans have to be complete bitches.
    Yet very popular.
  • I wouldn't say bitches, more that they take jabs at every other OS without acknowledging their own faults or the good features of the others.
    Come to think of it,that really is bitchy. huh.
    Windows XP-tan - The well-endowed, somewhat ditzy popular girl, who occasionally blurts out a gem of wisdom.
    (should we cross her with Homeko? Make her a bossy fujoshi otaku type? I think regular XP-tan is cute but boring.)
    Hmm...At first, when I read that, I was against it, but it would probably be better for the game to have a more diverse range of charachters.
    Speaking of the game, What sort of platform is this going to be made in? Will it be online based or a program? Personally, although this idea originally stemmed from an online dating game, I think offline with some sort of Stats export feature would be better be cause it would allow for more multimedia creativity.
    Are you going full on 3D with this, traditional, or digital?
    I gonna take a small leap here and say 2D, considering how few artists here have show that they do 3D.
  • Are you going full on 3D with this, traditional, or digital?
    Digital. It's a lot like Phoenix Wright, with sprites that show emotion and text to read. We thought something simple would be the best game to begin with in terms of testing our ability to mesh together the art and programming aspects of game development. If we manage to make something decent, then we will test the waters of 3D game development. Remember, in the crew, I'm the only one with 3D game element creation experience.
    So are we using those designs for the characters? I started doing some sketches of my own version of Tiger-tan. :(
    Similar Designs. OStans have a following in their own right, and if we stray too far from the cannon representations that could damage our popularity among the target demographic. That's not to say you can't draw your own pictures of tiger tan, though! We've got an idea for the sprite line art, so you don't have to stress about that. Along the art side of things, we need:

ART
    • Character Designer/Sprite art - Adapt the character and draw them in their various emotional states. Like this.
    • Character Colorists - Assists the designer. Digital coloring, possibly in Flash or Photoshop.
    • Colorists/Digital Painting - anyone skilled with realistic digital coloring of backgrounds and cut scene illustrations? I can do backgrounds, both 3DCG and painted, but if there is someone better, Share the Load! (ala LotR)
    • Reference Photographers - Photos of geeky apartments, bunches of computers, college campuses/classrooms (RIT) to reference when drawing the environment. Take pictures of the protagonist's world!
    • Graphic Designer - in charge of the design of the menu screens and graphics. This is very important and influences the look of the game as much as the characters. All the buttons, GUI etc. will be the domain of this person
  • I can take some pictures of stuff up at RIT if you need them, just tell me what you want/need. I can probably also help with something else, but it depends on how busy class stuff is.
  • Also, Mac tans have to be complete bitches.
    Yet very popular.
    And extremely controlling.
  • I can take some pictures of my room. It's got tons of computers and monitors lying around as well as a futon on the floor and a computer workbench with lots of pci cards an hard drives on top of it.
  • edited October 2008
    This is an awesome project and I hope it goes far. I could come in if you need something tricky (asset creation related) or if you need advice or something.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2008
    The 'OS bloat' is not really as bad as you're making it out to be for the Mac. On my Mac, for basic stuff, my RAM rarely hits 20% across 2 Gb. Unlike my XP Windows box, in which just sitting there and doing nothing takes up about 80% across 1 Gb.

Okay, so help me understand this whole tan thing. I want to know the meta-physical meanings of tans.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited October 2008
    Okay, so help me understand this whole tan thing. I want to know the meta-physical meanings of tans.
    Wikipedia on Os-tan.
    Post edited by Rochelle on