This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081111 - Why We Keep Playing the Same Old Games

edited November 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss why we keep replaying the same old games, and can't seem to devote any time to new ones. In the news, DDR the musical, and DLC out of control.

Scott's Thing - vs. Outlaws
Rym's Thing - Retro MIDI Medley

Comments

• "OH MY GOD! THIS IS CHARLES BARKLEY, SHUT UP AND JAM: GAIDEN!"

Seriously, though, you need to a show about "Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden"
  • Scott, you played the L4D Single player, but did not play the multi-player campaign? Why not? It's a co-op game, so why not play the co-op part too? The Single player is kinda meh, the bots are sharp shots and fire the exact amount of bullets required needed to kill the zombie. But yet they cannot notice that they get attacked in the back. The game's a lot more fun with people, at least, people who know how to duck.
  • edited November 2008
    I was just looking around the steam community page and found this. If you have steam installed, that link will open the Geeknights Steam chat channel. From there we should be able to organize something.

Edit: The link should read: steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429574889 but the forum re-formats it to http: which breaks the link. Highlight the address and copy it to your address bar.

I like how you two managed to come up with another excuse to get out of playing Tribes 2.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I like how you two managed to come up with another excuse to get out of playing Tribes 2.
    I'm not confident that we will get enough people with low enough latency at the same time to actually play a full game.
  • I understand but don't think it would be beyond us.
    1) Set up server & link it to Tr2.frontrowcrew.com.
    2) Give people lots of warning and encourage them to relisten to the Tr2 episode (posting it again with an added message directing to the website.).
    3) Distribute a screencast showing how to install and then connect.
    4) Organize an event, giving up to a month warning ahead of time.
    5) Test to make sure everything is working on the night of the event (do not skip this step, you will regret it.), if needed, do a trial run.
    6) Start the event.
    7) Have some kind of video of Rym and Scott playing in game (from in game, screecap) with commentary.
    8) Distribute video and repeat from step 4.
    9)????
    10)Profit.

(Underpants is omitted as it will probably be part of step 7)

Also, could you check the Steam chat thing.
  • I understand but don't think it would be beyond us.
    1) Set up server & link it to Tr2.frontrowcrew.com.
    2) Give people lots of warning and encourage them to relisten to the Tr2 episode (posting it again with an added message directing to the website.).
    3) Distribute a screencast showing how to install and then connect.
    4) Organize an event, giving up to a month warning ahead of time.
    5) Test to make sure everything is working on the night of the event (do not skip this step, you will regret it.), if needed, do a trial run.
    6) Start the event.
    7) Have some kind of video of Rym and Scott playing in game (from in game, screecap) with commentary.
    8) Distribute video and repeat from step 4.
    9)????
    10)Profit.
    You talk a big talk. Why don't you do all that work?
  • edited November 2008
    I lack a popular podcast. Together, we can get this working. I can handle steps 3,5 and 7 (maybe 8). We need someone else for a server but we can probably find someone on the forum for that (Step 1). We need you to do steps: 2, 4 (and 6 kinda).
  • edited November 2008
    It put a big smile on my face when Scott started talking about Picross DS which I just happened to be playing as I was listening to the podcast. I have no idea why I enjoy it either, but I'm about 20 puzzles away from beating every one on the cart.
    Post edited by Lancer on
  • I lack a popular podcast.
    All the more reason you should be able to get it together. I'm busy podcasting and making a website and such. You aren't doing anything. We don't have time for this. Our very low expectations of such an endeavour cause us to deprioritize any work towards it. The fact that you haven't done it already just shows that you don't want it badly enough. If you don't want it badly enough to setup the server and make it go, you really thin 40+ people are going to want it badly enough to play seriously and deal with all the technologicaly bullshit necessary? Give me a break.
  • I like how you two managed to come up with another excuse to get out of playing Tribes 2.
    I'm not confident that we will get enough people with low enough latency at the same time to actually play a full game.
    Have you guys considered talking about it while playing NS? Surely there must be awesome people on there who also want to play Tribes 2 again.
    you really thin 40+ people are going to want it badly enough to play seriously and deal with all the technologicaly bullshit necessary? Give me a break.
    What technological bullshit? Install the game, optionally apply an update patch if you got an old Tribes 2 version, start in Lan mode, click join, hit Insert, type in the URL or IP and hit ok. What is the bullshit? It's easy and straightforward, the only technological bullshit is the Unhandled Exceptions one might get.
  • edited November 2008
    Scott, if you want to get angry, that's fine. We've worked out how to do it and do it easily, If you'd like, I can have the screencast for you by tonight. If VHDblood's life has settled down we can have a server back up soon enough. Once that's up all I ask of you is to pick some date and time, remind people in the show and link to the thread created for it. You have several thousand listeners, when I show you the screen cap, tell me how many you think would be up for it.
  • Have you guys considered talking about it while playing NS? Surely there must be awesome people on there who also want to play Tribes 2 again.
    They just want to play NS2 and Left4Dead. ^_~
  • What technological bullshit? Install the game, optionally apply an update patch if you got an old Tribes 2 version, start in Lan mode, click join, hit Insert, type in the URL or IP and hit ok. What is the bullshit? It's easy and straightforward, the only technological bullshit is the Unhandled Exceptions one might get.
    First they have to get a copy of the game. Then they have to get the patches, if necessary. That's only after checking if patches are needed. They have to know to hit the insert key, and know where the insert key is on the keyboard. They have to find out the IP of the server and type it in.

Compare that to a modern game. Click twice to install. Click three times, and you're in a game.

You and I are fully capable of getting the game to work. The vast majority of people are not even close. They won't go through all that work because they don't want to play that badly. People take the path of least resistance. Every single point of annoyance will turn away the vast majority of people.
  • edited November 2008
    You and I are fully capable of getting the game to work. The vast majority of people are not even close. They won't go through all that work because they don't want to play that badly. People take the path of least resistance. Every single point of annoyance will turn away the vast majority of people.
    How many people do you think listen to you and have, at one time or another, pirated a game? It's just one extra key press and pasting the IP in the box. Also, the download comes pre-patched to the latest version.
  • Have you guys considered talking about it while playing NS? Surely there must be awesome people on there who also want to play Tribes 2 again.
    They just want to play NS2 and Left4Dead. ^_~
    I wholeheartedly agree with them. If only I didn't suck so badly at NS.
  • You and I are fully capable of getting the game to work. The vast majority of people are not even close. They won't go through all that work because they don't want to play that badly. People take the path of least resistance. Every single point of annoyance will turn away the vast majority of people.
    How many people do you think listen to you and have, at one time or another, pirated a game? It's just one extra key press and pasting the IP in the box. Also, the download comes pre-patched to the latest version.
    If you think people will do it, then get a game together. You guys are all talking shit, but you've got nothing to show for it.
  • edited November 2008
    If you think people will do it, then get a game together.
    We did it before. Lets go! Messaged VHDblood about the server (the bugmenot guy won't have contact info.).
    Can someone recommend a screencap program? Preferably one that can zoom in to make the details visible on Youtube.
    edited November 2008
    First they have to get a copy of the game. Then they have to get the patches, if necessary. That's only after checking if patches are needed. They have to know to hit the insert key, and know where the insert key is on the keyboard. They have to find out the IP of the server and type it in.
    The bulk of that stuff has already been taken care of, the finding of the latest officially released installation of Tribes 2 that is. All the 'customer' has to do is click on the provided link and select a location to save the file, then double click and follow the instructions, just like with every other game that doesn't come via Steam, and then they only have to copy the IP address, also already provided, start up the game, click the Join tab and then hit the Insert button and Ctrl+V.

As for 'knowing to hit the insert key'... What? Why would that be omitted from the instructions? It's been stated in every copy of how to get the game working. Again, what technological bullshit?
    You guys are all talking shit, but you've got nothing to show for it.
    We posted screenshots showing it worked, and then had fun. Sorry for not having a huge audience in which there might be a total of 40 people that wish to play the game. We are not shit talking, we're just asking you guys to help because then there's a bigger chance that we might actually get somewhere in reasonable time. Just like you needing someone who can give you funds to start a business, we too need help to get this thing off the ground. All that you are doing is just hating on us because we want to help you guys play Tribes 2 capture the flag again with a big group of people. Seriously now.

EDIT:
    Can someone recommend a screencap program? Preferably one that can zoom in to make the details visible on Youtube.
    There's no need for an entire screencast. All that's needed is the following:
    • A link to the download that was found with the text: "Download and install the game."
    • Copy the following IP: server IP here.
    • Start "Tribes 2 Solo & Lan.
    • Optionally: You might want to set the settings. These are in the menu in the lower left corner of the main window.
    • Click on the Join tab in the top left and hit the Insert key (above the Delete key on most keyboards).
    • Paste the copied IP and click OK.
    • You should now see the server in the server list, clicking on it and then clicking on Join Game will get you playing.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I got the Steam Chat link working via TinyURL: Click this if you have Steam.
  • You do all realize that Scott is basically tricking you guys into doing the work, right? ^_~
  • You do all realize that Scott is basically tricking you guys into doing the work, right? ^_~
    But we were already willing to do the work in the first place and he's just bitching about it. I don't get it.
    edited November 2008
    You do all realize that Scott is basically tricking you guys into doing the work, right? ^_~
    We know, he just needs to be told that the work (minus server) has already been done. It'd just be wasted effort if we get to the point where everything is running, and we cannot contact enough people.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Awesome Things Of the Day. All this talk about NS really makes me want it. It sounds so good. I just dunno if my laptop can take it.
    I hope it can

And that DDR Musical...God damn I wish I lived in New York now...That is TOTALLY Charles Barkley, Shut up and Jam!...GAIDEN!
  • I just dunno if my laptop can take it.
    I would bet money that it can.
  • laptop can take it
    NS is a Half-Life 1 mod. Just about any computer can play it.
  • HOLY CRAP. That theater is behind my work. My office is on west Broadway, but the back door to my office opens up directly across the street to that theater. I'm going to have to meet up with all you to see this.
  • HOLY CRAP. That theater is behind my work. My office is on west Broadway, but the back door to my office opens up directly across the street to that theater. I'm going to have to meet up with all you to see this.
    If you work around the corner, why didn't you say anything?
  • I typically go out the front on West Broadway, and walk down to the Spring Subway Station. So I don't usually walk by it. I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I'm in at work.
  • I have a problem of always sitting down to play a PC game and end up playing Master of Orion 2. I am never disappointed once finished.
    Trust me Rym, he's no master of persuasion. I hope to god people have already figured this out.

I have a feeling his mindset is... I want X fun for 0 work... and as long as X is ANY number it's totally worth it... so if I do 0 work I will benefit from this.

But the forum states that if he does 1% work there will be X+Y of fun. So yes you will not be getting a better % of fun then if you did 0 work, but for fucks sake Scott... Represent your peeps ^_^ Suck it up, and do it because we say so.

"With great power come great responsibility"... No? That didn't work. Damn! Well I tried.