This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081203 - Ordinary Victories

edited December 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review Ordinary Victories by Manu Larcenet. In the news, there's a new Tenchi Spinoff, Murakami is opening a new studio, and weird stuff is happening with Devil's Due Press.

Scott's Thing - Bruce Lee Ping-Pong
Rym's Thing - Hatsune Miku Contest

Comments

• edited December 2008
    The blog of the Los Angeles Times newspaper reported this week that modern artist Takashi Murakami will open an animation studio in Los Angeles next summer.
    And not just anywhere in LA...
    The new Los Angeles facility will be located at North Highland Avenue
    Sorry for the obnoxious fonts, but HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS RIGHT BY MY HOUSE!!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Haha, this is so kickin! I loved SuperFlat Monogram! Sail, wanna meet up sometime and go check it out?
  • Sail, wanna meet up sometime and go check it out?
    Yes, definitely! I need to take a walk down there and find where it's gonna be. It's a pretty short street with just restaurants and studios, so it won't be too hard.
  • Even a non-erotic Mr.Met has many exposed bats and balls.
    *Spit-take* lol! Fucking hilarious, Scott. I was laughing for so long after that I had to rewind. You normally can't hear Emily in the show but she was laughing so hard the mics picked her up. (For those who missed it. 16:25)
  • Regarding translation of the title (Combat Ordinaire = Ordinary Victories), this podcast had an interview with the guy who translated Dungeon, and he mentioned Ordinary Victories as an example of a situation where the direct translation didn't work too well, because the French use the word "combat"a lot more generally than English-speakers do. I think he said they use it generally to mean conflict, or struggle.

Anyway. Added to Amazon shopping list.
  • Regarding translation of the title (Combat Ordinaire = Ordinary Victories),this podcasthad an interview with the guy who translated Dungeon, and he mentioned Ordinary Victories as an example of a situation where the direct translation didn't work too well, because the French use the word "combat"a lot more generally than English-speakers do. I think he said they use it generally to mean conflict, or struggle.
    Yeah, that's where I heard about the book from.
  • Yeah, that's where I heard about the book from.
    Word. By the way, did you ever end up reading Sky Doll? I bought all of the French versions, as well as the sort of "making of" books. It's easily some of the most beautiful comic art I've seen in years. I haven't read them, though, as my French isn't quite there yet.
  • Word. By the way, did you ever end up reading Sky Doll? I bought all of the French versions, as well as the sort of "making of" books. It's easily some of the most beautiful comic art I've seen in years. I haven't read them, though, as my French isn't quite there yet.
    I have all the normal issues from Marvel, and I read it all. The story was good, but not as good as good as my expectations. The art is crazy, though.
    edited December 2008
    Rym: "Well, French-Belgian, there's a difference." Yeah, French-Belgians can't speak any of their country's official languages. Also, the guy is French, not French-Belgian.

EDIT: Wow, short episode. Anyway, more reading of Wikipedia informs one that 4 volumes have been released, the latest in 2008. A check on the 'unofficial' website shows it was published in the March issue of Dargaud.

Sample page.
    Sample page from: The 'unofficial' website.
    "Bonjour monsieur, c'est la police... brigade des stupe[???]"
    "[???, panic.]"
    "Mais non, ducon! C'est moi, Marco! Allez? Ouvre!"
    "Mais t'es trop con!! [???] jamais un coup comme ça!"
    I laughed, by what the heck's with the shouting of Geogre?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Related - tangentially - to the Devil's Due/Archaia Studios Press shakeup: The Mouse Guard RPG is available for preorder at Indie Press Revolution. It's written by Luke Crane. 'Nuff said.
  • Related - tangentially - to the Devil's Due/Archaia Studios Press shakeup:The Mouse Guard RPG is available for preorder at Indie Press Revolution.It's written by Luke Crane. 'Nuff said.
    Man, they've really had some delays with that game. I pre-ordered it from DCBS back in June for shipping in August. Now it's supposedly shipping in December.
  • It's supposed to be shipping around the 24th on the 18th. On the plus side, if you go through IPR, you get the PDF of it for free. Yeah, reading the book on a screen is meh, but it's ultimately playable.
  • It's supposed to be shippingaround the 24thon the 18th. On the plus side, if you go through IPR, you get the PDF of it for free. Yeah, reading the book on a screen is meh, but it's ultimately playable.
    I'm sure I will have no problem getting the pdf despite only buying the physical book.