This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081223 - Illuminati

edited December 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss Steve Jackson's classic card game, Illuminati. In the news, EA puts some of its games on Steam, and Nintendo gives Bob the cold shoulder.

Scott's Thing - R2D2 Chorus Line
Rym's Thing - Smooth Voldo
Rym's Thing - WoW Mouse

Comments

• This game sounds right up my alley, and something none of my friends or family would enjoy. I need new friends and family.
  • Did you post the link to Tribes 2? If so, where is it?
  • I've played Munchkin and the Wild West Munchkin expansion and this intrigues me. Perhaps a trip to the game store is needed this weekend.
  • I've played Munchkin and the Wild West Munchkin expansion and this intrigues me. Perhaps a trip to the game store is needed this weekend.
    For the record, Munchkin is a terrible game. It's funny, but it's worthless game-wise.
  • My wife got me one of those R2D2s in the video for Xmas.
  • Did you post the link to Tribes 2? If so, where is it?
    Go here. Could Scym put it in the show post?
  • edited December 2008
    First off, Apple and the independent developers has some issues to work on regarding the app store.

As for Nintendo refusing this game but letting other god awful games in, I'm looking at you Petz series, then it goes to show that Nintendo have an issue not with the game it self but with the content of the game. Nintendo probably thinks that games like Catz and Dogz has a wider appeal to their demographic, who is in it is probably what ever Nintendo feels like. As to support this, look at the recent games that have come out in the last year on Nintendo's platform, nothing but crappy games that only preteen girls and moms would care for, rather than making games that we, members of the forum, would like. games such as Wii Music and Wii Sports 2, as well the whole balance board crap. I was probably not the only one who watched Nintendo's keynote at E3 and shook their head in disappointment. That lady prancing on the stage talking about how she tried to be a cool mom and all that crap, and the guy waving his arms around like a drummer was the saddest showing I've ever seen, even Sony had a better keynote.

This is just a small part of the frustration I'm feeling with Nintendo, and is thus why I've gotten an Xbox 360.

edit: I also wonder if the reason why they won't give him an SDK is because he developed in a home brew environment.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on

• edit: I also wonder if the reason why they won't give him an SDK is because he developed in a home brew environment.
    That's just the point. If they let people have dev kits, homebrew would be official, and Nintendo would be super awesome. Instead, they choose to be super lame.
  • In Nintendo's defense, that game does appear to be garbage.
  • In Nintendo's defense, that game does appear to be garbage.
    As in, the majority of the NDS catalog garbage or worse?
  • As in, the majority of the NDS catalog garbage or worse?
    Exactly my point. The game is not so great, but it's better than a lot of what's already out there.
  • I'm pretty sure it the fault of the developers for these games not wanting to treat the Wii as anything more than a party piece or a kid's toy than anything Nintendo has done. Considering that most of the Wii games I've seen that are half-decent are made by Nintendo themselves, I'm just wondering something's up...
  • Poor, poor Bob. I seems his project has come to an end after only one month. While I didn't think that his game looked that interesting and I think he took a lot of unnecessary risks, I feel bad for him. I really hope he's ok. By the way, that's Bob there lying on the ground in the middle of the picture of his trashed room.
  • edited January 2009
    This is depressing.
    1) That people can be as utterly insane as Bob.
    2) That the game he spent so long on is probably mediocre.
    3) That Nintendo is lame.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on