This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090707 - Cheating

edited July 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the MMO researcher, cheating at games, and all that entails. In the news, LucasArts classics are coming to Steam. Hopefully this will mean that TIE Fighter is coming back soon. Also, people discuss why MMOs make you walk.

Rym's Thing - Vader Kills Harkov
Scott's Thing - Mario Protest

Comments

• The link is broken, and so is the iTunes one.
  • What Axel said.
  • Libsyn fail.
  • Upload it to Archive.org. Then you won't have to pay for hosting it.
  • I pretty much use Archive.org exclusively when it comes to uploading podcasts. They are offering the service, can handle the load, and I creative commons my stuff anyway. Everyone wins.
  • I still have all the Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, the Dig, Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter and all the old star wars and Indiana Jones games and all of them run perfectly with DosBox and some like monkey island III play fine in "win 98 compatibility mode".
  • Hey Scott, that MMO you wanted, with the wood chopping and the log cabining and the stealing of shit: Here.
  • RPG, with skill based resolution system istead of somewhat random dice or cards has been done already. It's called Dread and it uses Jenga as a mechanic.
  • It's calledDreadand it uses Jenga as a mechanic.
    That is so being mentioned in Beyond D&D; at Otakon.
  • It's calledDreadand it uses Jenga as a mechanic.
    That issobeing mentioned in Beyond D&D; at Otakon.
    For an extra tasty twist, try Kit-Kat jenga...
  • The download works. Very nice episode.
    I recall a time at a Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament at Tora-Con of 2006 when an opponent noticed my brother pulling off very quick smash attacks. When he asked my brother how he was that fast, he claimed he used the C-Stick to do quick smashes, a well-known tactic. The opponent, not knowing of this tactic, adamantly declared that everyone was cheating, and that they should stop doing it. We immediately silenced him.
  • That doesn't make C-Sticking less shameful. D:<
  • That doesn't make C-Sticking less shameful.
    It's part of the game. It works. It also makes for a weak smash. ^_~
  • Yeah, I know. I was just being that guy. I think we all know that guy.
    The guy who only plays "No items, Fox only, Final Destination"?
  • The guy who only plays "No items, Fox only, Final Destination"?
    My now ex housmate is one of those guys, though he "allows" Pitt as well(because if he plays as fox, he gets thrashed.)
  • My now ex housemate is one of those guys, though he "allows" Pitt as well(because if he plays as fox, he gets thrashed.)
    Wait, so he wants to play the fully balanced version of the game, but use one of the cheapest characters in the game? How does that make any sense?
    The guy who only plays "No items, Fox only, Final Destination"?
    I believe it is now "No items, Metaknight only, Final Destination." Fox is no longer useful in Brawl.
  • edited July 2009
    My now ex housemate is one of those guys, though he "allows" Pitt as well(because if he plays as fox, he gets thrashed.)
    Wait, so he wants to play the fully balanced version of the game, but use one of the cheapest characters in the game? How does that make any sense?
    No, he just wants to win, and claims that his way is "Superior" because that's how they play in tournaments - however, anything other than Pitt, anywhere other than final destination, and with any items on, he gets rather soundly trounced.

Also, for some odd reason, he can't deal with battling against Sonic, it's like his Kryptonite, even if he gets No items/final destination.
    ...Fox is no longer useful in Brawl.
    That is a fault in your skill, not in the game.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • My now ex housemate is one of those guys, though he "allows" Pitt as well(because if he plays as fox, he gets thrashed.)
    No, he just wants to win, and claims that his way is "Superior" because that's how they play in tournaments - however, anything other than Pitt, anywhere other than final destination, and with any items on, he gets rather soundly trounced.

Also, for some odd reason, he can't deal with battling against Sonic, it's like his Kryptonite, even if he gets No items/final destination.
    ...Fox is no longer useful in Brawl.
    That is a fault in your skill, not in the game.
    Sorry, that came out wrong.
    Fox is no longer top tier in Brawl.
  • Fox is no longer top tier in Brawl.
    Fox was never top tier. You'd only use him if you wanted to be silly, otherwise, just play Jigglypuff.
  • Fox is no longer top tier in Brawl.
    Fox was never top tier. You'd only use him if you wanted to be silly, otherwise, just play Jigglypuff.
    Fox was top tier in the original SSB.
  • Fox was top tier in the original SSB.
    The original Super Smash Brothers, like Mario Kart 64, is so broken that it is practically unplayable.
  • The original Super Smash Brothers, like Mario Kart 64, is so broken that it is practically unplayable.
    Not to argue, but how is that? It's probably just that I never noticed, but it never struck me as "Broken".
  • None of the characters in the original Smash Brothers are balanced at all. An example is that Kirby is ridiculously overpowered and hard to kill, while Link is super-weak to the point in which he barely does any damage. The throws are so powerful that there is no reason to use anything else and the lack of a side-B attack makes any possible strategies or combos learned in the sequels from having any effect.
  • That last part's like saying that Half-Life is broken because you can't use the gravity gun, but I guess I agree with the rest. I don't think anyone really cared though, since it was still a game where Yoshi and Captain Falcon could fight each other.
  • I don't think anyone really cared though, since it was still a game where Yoshi and Captain Falcon could fight each other.
    It was great at the time, but now it is poop. I was challenged by one of my friend's roommate last semester and it did not age well. I find it kind of funny that he refuses to play Brawl or Mario Kart Wii because he actually likes the N64 controller better than any other controller. That has to go down as one of the most poorly designed controllers ever.
  • I don't think anyone really cared though, since it was still a game where Yoshi and Captain Falcon could fight each other.
    It was great at the time, but now it is poop. I was challenged by one of my friend's roommate last semester and it did not age well. I find it kind of funny that he refuses to play Brawl or Mario Kart Wii because he actually likes the N64 controller better than any other controller. That has to go down as one of the most poorly designed controllers ever.
    The N64 controller isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Gamecube controller.
  • edited July 2009
    I think I heard somewhere that Nintendo expected developers to use the D-Pad a lot more than the control stick, which explains the weird placement.

Edit: The Gamecube controller is one of the best designed game controllers there has ever been.
    Post edited by Koholint on