This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090804 - Hacienda

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the board game Hacienda. In the news, PAX is coming soon, Bandai's best sellers, and A Boy and His Blob. You can play Hacienda for free online at spielbyweb.com.

Rym's Thing - Hidden Popeye Audio
Scott's Thing - Rollins vs. Techno Viking

Comments

• I was chatting about role play gaming last night and remembered the French short film with the three guys meeting after ten years for a game. It was a thing of the day once, but I can't find it after a whole load of searching this site, forum, and even the internet in general. Anyone got a link?

Also, A Boy and His Blob was a HARD game. Too hard. And the soundtrack was a very blatant ripoff of the Indiana Jones theme. Ahhhh.... memories.
  • My mom was the Boy and his Blob Expert. She could beat it in like 20 minutes...I need to hook that woman up with an emulator and have her do a speed run.
  • What was the other board game you guys decided not to talk about? (Yup, playing catch-up again....)

Has the FRC been playing Dominion? Any impressions or opinions?
  • What was the other board game you guys decided not to talk about? (Yup, playing catch-up again....)
    Trans Europa.
    Has the FRC been playing Dominion? Any impressions or opinions?
    I read through the rules for Dominion, but didn't actually play it. I like the idea of a customizable card game like M:TG that isn't collectible, like M:TG. The thing is, after reading the rules, Dominion didn't seem like a very good game. I'll have to play it at least once just to see. Maybe at PAX someone who knows the rules can play with me, so it won't take a lot of time.
  • Has the FRC been playing Dominion? Any impressions or opinions?
    I read through the rules for Dominion, but didn't actually play it. I like the idea of a customizable card game like M:TG that isn't collectible, like M:TG. The thing is, after reading the rules, Dominion didn't seem like a very good game. I'll have to play it at least once just to see. Maybe at PAX someone who knows the rules can play with me, so it won't take a lot of time.
    Interesting....Anything specific that makes it seem like not a very good game? Not looking for debate, just really curious.

You should be able to find someone to play it with at PAX (wish I could be one of them!), given how popular it is these days. FWIW, my initial impression wasn't all that positive, either. After about 5-10 games, I was even less thrilled with it. But after that, something clicked -- I've really enjoyed the game ever since.
  • I was chatting about role play gaming last night and remembered the French short film with the three guys meeting after ten years for a game. It was a thing of the day once, but I can't find it after a whole load of searching this site, forum, and even the internet in general. Anyone got a link?

Also, A Boy and His Blob was a HARD game. Too hard. And the soundtrack was a very blatant ripoff of the Indiana Jones theme. Ahhhh.... memories.
    I can't believe I just had to search the forum yet again to find this vide! I searched for "farrador" and all kinds of thing before I found it.
  • I can't believe I just had to search the forum yet again to find this vide! I searched for "farrador" and all kinds of thing before I found it.
    You could have just asked. I know the video well.
  • I felt stupid asking for the same video twice, on the same forum, after forgetting it twice.