This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090806 - Connecticon 2009

edited August 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we give you a behind the scenes look at everything that went down at Connecticon 2009. In the news Bloomberg calls for free buses and Google buys On2.

Comments

• Tonight onGeekNightswe give you a behind the scenes look at everything that went down atConnecticon 2009. In the newsBloomberg calls for free busesandGoogle buys On2.
    Libsyn fail.
  • Tonight onGeekNightswe give you a behind the scenes look at everything that went down atConnecticon 2009. In the newsBloomberg calls for free busesandGoogle buys On2.
    Libsyn fail.
    Ditto.
    Libsyn fail.
    Ditto.
    Okay seriously, this has gotta stop. Why does this keep happening whenever a new episode immediately is uploaded?
    Libsyn fail.
    Ditto.
    Okay seriously, this has gotta stop. Why does this keep happening whenever a new episode immediately is uploaded?
    Because everything free on the internet is, ultimately, a piece of crap, unless it has tons of advertising and business.
    I'm assuming Scrym uses free hosting for the podcast, of course...
  • It doesn't look like Libsyn failed. It looks like Rym just didn't upload the file.
  • Oh.
    Jeez, Rym! Make me whine about the internet for nothing, why don't 'ya.
  • Because everything free on the internet is, ultimately, a piece of crap, unless it has tons of advertising and business.
    Hahaha...no.
  • Because everything free on the internet is,
    Libsyn is about $15 a month.
  • edited August 2009
    Because everything free on the internet is, ultimately, a piece of crap, unless it has tons of advertising and business.
    I'm assuming Scrym uses free hosting for the podcast, of course...
    Libsyn is not free.

EDIT: Double ninja'd for triple the pwnage!
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited August 2009
    Hahaha...no.
    I said ultimately. Free things can have a lot of redeeming features and fun facets, but compared to the same service where you were being charged, you'd ultimately get better quality, because if you pay someone, they are obligated to work harder.
    Edit: I got pwned.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • edited August 2009
    I saidultimately. Free things can have a lot of redeeming features and fun facets, but compared to the same service where you were being charged, you'd ultimately get better quality, because if you pay someone, they are obligated to work harder.
    Firefox.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I saidultimately. Free things can have a lot of redeeming features and fun facets, but compared to the same service where you were being charged, you'd ultimately get better quality, because if you pay someone, they are obligated to work harder.
    Firefox.
    If we payed Mozilla, they'd make Firefox even better.
  • I saidultimately. Free things can have a lot of redeeming features and fun facets, but compared to the same service where you were being charged, you'd ultimately get better quality, because if you pay someone, they are obligated to work harder.
    I have to fundamentally disagree with this premise. A person being paid will never work as hard as someone who has a true passion for what they do. Ever.
    I have to fundamentally disagree with this premise. A person being paid will never work as hard as someone who has a true passion for what they do. Ever.
    That's not my argument. My argument is two people otherwise identical, one of whom is being paid, and one of whom is working for free. They both have passion, but one has money available as a resource and further incentive. I'd have to argue that money will drive a person to do better than a person who must juggle the same job with no additional resources or compensation.
  • edited August 2009
    That's not my argument. My argument is two people otherwise identical, one of whom is being paid, and one of whom is working for free. They both have passion, but one has money available as a resource and further incentive. I'd have to argue that money will drive a person to do better than a person who must juggle the same job with no additional resources or compensation.
    Yes, if such a situation existed, then the idle rich will be able to produce a better product simple because of the freedom that possessing money allow them to easily sustain their basic needs. However, what you said is:
    This is just patently false. There are a ton of things on the internet which are objectively better than their paid alternatives. Furthermore, I disagree that money as a sheer incentive in and of itself makes a better project.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That's not my argument. My argument is two people otherwise identical, one of whom is being paid, and one of whom is working for free. They both have passion, but one has money available as a resource and further incentive. I'd have to argue that money will drive a person to do better than a person who must juggle the same job with no additional resources or compensation.
    Yes, if such a situation existed, then the idle rich will be able to produce a better product simple because of the freedom that possessing money allow them to easily sustain their basic needs. However, what you said is:
    This is just patently false. There are a ton of things on the internet which are objectively better than their paid alternatives.
    Yes, because they have crappy people behind them. If they had competent people like the free services, they'd probably be better than the free services.
    But, in the end, they avoid problems that free services don't have, like the problems Lisbyn didn't have, because it is a paid service.
    Sorry for the mass off topic-ness, but I can't talk about the show, because it's still not up. :(
  • If they had competent people like the free services, they'd probably be better than the free services.
    So, basically, you're assuming this without any sort of real-world example?
  • If they had competent people like the free services, they'd probably be better than the free services.
    So, basically, you're assuming this without any sort of real-world example?
    I'm assuming this based on logic. If you took a competent person from Mozilla, and then gave him money to make Firefox better, he'd likely get it done a bit faster than if you just made a request for a new feature. Money makes the world go round, unfortunately.
  • I'm assuming this based on logic. If you took a competent person from Mozilla, and then gave him money to make Firefox better, he'd likely get it done a bit faster than if you just made a request for a new feature. Money makes the world go round, unfortunately.
    You do know that people who work at Mozilla get paid, right?
  • I kinda disagree. Part of the pride of Firefox and many other open source/free as in beer AND money is that they don't have people paying them, but they are still awesome in the open source kinda way.
  • I'm assuming this based on logic. If you took a competent person from Mozilla, and then gave him money to make Firefox better, he'd likely get it done a bit faster than if you just made a request for a new feature. Money makes the world go round, unfortunately.
    You do know that people who work at Mozilla get paid, right?
    Yes, but not by us.
    If the corporation made even more money, they would probably work even harder.
  • Yes, but not by us.
    If the corporation made even more money, they would probably work even harder.
    More money does not equal harder work. Just wait until you enter the working world, your eyes will be opened.
  • So any word on when the episode will be up?
  • It looks like the ftp failed at some point. I'll re-upload when I get home from my real job. ;)
  • edited August 2009
    This debate is so freaking stupid.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I'll re-add the episode after I re-upload the show this evening, around 7:00pm.
  • I'm thinking we should always fail to upload the episode. People post more comments when it doesn't work than when it does.
  • But the comments aren't on your episode, it's just me getting into more arguments.
  • edited August 2009
    People post more comments when it doesn't work than when it does.
    You know, almost every episode I listen to, I have a bunch of comments I want to post. But I listen at work where I can't access a computer, and by the time I get home I've forgotten what I wanted to say.
    Post edited by Funfetus on