This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 091006 - Castle Crashers

edited October 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we bring you our first ever XBox 360 game review, Castle Crashers. In the news, Epic Mickey is coming, the GameBoy Color boot ROM was finally hacked, and gamers are more aggressive to strangers.

Scott's Thing - Kashiwa Mystery Cafe
Rym's Thing - Guns of Icarus

Comments

• Icarus, baby, fuck yeah. I am so looking forward to the release of this game. It is the most eagerly awaited release for me this season. Look at those pirates! Look at that Gatling gun! Hardcore! I wonder who could make such a fucking epic game...I want to be their friend. They must be the coolest person ever.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    Icarus, baby, fuck yeah. I am so looking forward to the release of this game. It is the most eagerly awaited release for me this season. Look at those pirates! Look at that Gatling gun! Hardcore! I wonder who could make such a fucking epic game...I want to be their friend. They must be the coolest person ever.
    You have the right to brag and spread your ego-strokes all over the place as you are awesome enough to do so because of this amazing game you helped make. I so cannot wait for this!!! But I have to wait a damn week!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    It looks like Rym and Scott are absolutely unfamiliar with the Newgrounds mythos as it derives heavily from it and it's not surprising at all the things that this game has as it's very much like what Tom Fulp would do.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The game you were talking about was Mickey Mousecapades! I beat that game plenty of times as a kid.
  • If you like the style of Castle Crashers, the guy who made it (or at least is responsible for the visual style) has done a lot of other really awesome stuff. I used to watch his animations and play his little flash games all the time years ago -- check it out. They also made a game called Alien Hominid which is available on the 360. It's basically Contra or Metal Slug to Castle Crashers' River City Ransom.
  • It looks like Rym and Scott are absolutely unfamiliar with the Newgrounds mythos as it derives heavily from it and it's not surprising at all the things that this game has as it's very much like what Tom Fulp would do.
    I was unaware that Newgrounds had a "mythos" beyond just hosting lots and lots of crappy flash stuff, with a few good ones here and there.
  • I was unaware that Newgrounds had a "mythos" beyond just hosting lots and lots of crappy flash stuff, with a few good ones here and there.
    AFAIK that's pretty much exactly the case, at least for as long as I can remember.
  • I was unaware that Newgrounds had a "mythos" beyond just hosting lots and lots of crappy flash stuff, with a few good ones here and there.
    Yeah. Newgrounds was the place to see terrible flash animations and broken, tasteless games for much of the later '90s. It was low brow even for its time.
  • Scott,
    Would you like me to make you some custom cross-stitch key chains made for all your keys? I can easily foresee an easy Oscar The Grouch pattern in my head. ^_~
  • For anyone who would like an early chance to actually *play* Guns of Icarus, and is in the New York area, our monthly Muse game night is tonight!
  • For anyone who would like an early chance to actually *play* Guns of Icarus, and is in the New York area, our monthly Musegame nightis tonight!
    They're usually pretty fun, and involve both pizza and beer. As exhausted as I am, I may possibly show up. ^_~
  • Please, darling! I would love for you to!
  • Please, darling!
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Daaaaarling!
    * Zap zap zap! *
  • imageImage Hosted by ImageShack.usimage

(I'm aware this is stupid, but the thought of the bunny high-fiving was too cute not to follow through with.)
  • Oh my god, Scott has at last joined the 360 crowd. Welcome to the next level, Scott, hope you enjoy your stay, bro.

So like you might want to try these games:

Dead Space
    Pure
    Burnout Paradise
    Aces of the Galaxy (Indie
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Angry Barry (Indie
    Defense Grid

Coming soon Live Arcade
    Hurricane X2 and Dust: The Elysian Tales (check the videos out)
  • I almost forgot, check out Batman: Arkham Asylum too. Bloody awesome game.

I was also wondering, how do you find Live as a service to use overall?
  • (I'm aware this is stupid, but the thought of the bunny high-fiving was too cute not to follow through with.)
    Amazingly cute.
  • Dead Space
    Pure
    Burnout Paradise
    Aces of the Galaxy (Indie
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Angry Barry (Indie
    Defense Grid

Coming soon Live Arcade
    Hurricane X2 and Dust: The Elysian Tales (check the videos out)
    Yeah, I'm not interested in any of those.
  • The Mickey Mouse game Rym was talking about is Disney's Magical Quest. That game series was fantastic.
  • Yeah, I'm not interested in any of those.
    So what are you interested in? Surely you didn't spend $250+ on a console just to play castle crashers.
  • The Mickey Mouse game Rym was talking about isDisney's Magical Quest.
    Nope. It's actually Mickey Mousecapades.
  • The Mickey Mouse game Rym was talking about isDisney's Magical Quest.
    Nope. It's actually Mickey Mousecapades.
    Oh. Darn. I remember those other games. You got different outfits in different levels. I don't think I played Mickey Mousecapades...
  • Yeah, I'm not interested in any of those.
    Really? Not even Marvel VS Capcom 2? Colour me surprised.
  • Really? Not even Marvel VS Capcom 2? Colour me surprised.
    It's an old game that I've already played to death. Also straight up fighting games don't have that much appeal for me. I mean, I like them, but I can't actually be good at them or invest a lot of time in them.
  • I know you have already played Lego Star Wars on the Wii, but you could check out Lego Batman for either Wii or Xbox. I first only watched Jeremy play Lego Star Wars, but now I do co-op for Lego Batman, and it's pretty fun.
  • I know you have already played Lego Star Wars on the Wii, but you could check out Lego Batman for either Wii or Xbox. I first only watched Jeremy play Lego Star Wars, but now I do co-op for Lego Batman, and it's pretty fun.
    Yeah, Lego Star Wars for Wii was a big disappointment in the long-run. It was humorous and entertaining, but after a day or few it lost all of its shine. All you do is walk around and hit things. Just another Gauntlet clone.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    You still didn't answer the question though Scott. What are you interested in and what kinda games would you like to play? You've got to take a chance every now and then. I would say Mass Effect is a really good one to own.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Yeah, Lego Star Wars for Wii was a big disappointment in the long-run. It was humorous and entertaining, but after a day or few it lost all of its shine. All you do is walk around and hit things. Just another Gauntlet clone.
    Yeah, Lego Batman is the same. I just enjoy the free play mode and using the different characters for their certain abilities. You can mind control people with The Riddler, use Joker's hand shocker to start up electrical items, and Robin has a specific suit with magnetic shoes. I also like how you can be a tiny penguin robot with a gun. That's hilarious.
  • You still didn't answer the question though Scott. What are you interested in and what kinda games would you like to play? You've got to take a chance every now and then. I would say Mass Effect is a really good one to own.
    Why do I have to take a chance? I already have more video games than I have time to play. Games cost money, and I need my money to pay for moving right now. I haven't even paid for an XBox Live Gold account because there aren't any games I want to play online.

Between L4D2, NS2, Shadow Complex, Mario+Luigi, Spirit Tracks, and free PC games, there is no need for me to buy anything else in the near future.