This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 091110 - MMORPGs - D&D Online

edited November 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we begin to discuss some of the MMORPGs we've been trying out, primarily D&D Online. In the news GameStop is selling Modern Warfare 2 early, night vision goggles, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii is almost out.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Guns of Icarus initially made me very excited indeed. I thought it appeared to be a spiritual successor to my personal, "Tribes 2", Air Buccaneers. Air Buccaneers was originally a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004; a popular game with mods than no one played. Unfortunately, Guns of Icarus is actually quite a different game to Air Buccaneers indeed. Air Buccaneers was essentially naval battle in the air. I have never had a gaming buzz as potent as when I captained that giant air balloon, cannonballs whizzing past my head, banged against another air balloon and joined the fray.

Ahhh gaming memories.

Not to take anything away from Icarus; I just had different expectations.
    Post edited by Captainbubby on
  • Oh Air Bucs, that was a great LAN game. We used to play that when I LAN'd with my friends in high school/early college. One of those sessions I managed to master loading/firing/aiming a cannon all by myself, with only about a second or so between shots.
  • I've never actually played Air Buccaneers before, but I know of it, and I have seen that video when searching for "airship videogame" on youtube. It looks like a cool mod.
  • Left 4 Fortress... hmmm....

Scout: Oh shit! It's a witch!
    Heavy: A vitch you sey... CRY SOME MORE!
  • When you said "If the first level is poop, it doesn't matter about the later levels..." I immediately thought "The first level of Super Mario Bros. is a classic for a reason." And you immediately said "Take Super Mario Bros, for example..."

Also, I loved how many times said "And the worst thing is" in this podcast. You should do more reviews of things you don't like!
  • edited November 2009
    When you said "If the first level is poop, it doesn't matter about the later levels..." I immediately thought "The first level of Super Mario Bros. is a classic for a reason." And you immediately said "Take Super Mario Bros, for example..."

Also, I loved how many times said "And the worst thing is" in this podcast. You should do more reviews of things you don't like!
    If there's gold lying on the ground in front of you, why wade through shit to get some other gold? Heck, if there's gold lying in front of you, just take it. Even if you can get platinum by wading through shit, it's just not worth it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2009
    What about wading through silver to get platinum? Bronze?
    (Oh shit, Mrs. MacRoss is coming to get me for my sentence fragment!)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'd seriously break out some Virtual Console action now, but I've even more seriously got to pack for the morning (7:30 flight).
  • That's why this game was such a good idea.
  • we begin to discuss some of the MMORPGs we've been trying out
    I haven't been listening to the show in a while, but when did hell freeze over?
  • (Oh shit, Mrs. MacRoss is coming to get me for my sentence fragment!)
    Only in instruction, formal writing, and when someone is attempting to be superior about spelling and/or grammar, would I ever have an issue with a sentence fragment. Casual forum writing shouldn't be held to the same standard. I would also get on my students' case for using contractions in formal writing, ending sentences with prepositions, using emoticons, and so forth. However, all are perfectly acceptable within the context of the forum (unless someone is being snobby about grammar and spelling, in which case their shit better smell like roses and honeydew).
  • unless someone is being snobby about grammar and spelling, in which case their shit had better smell like roses and honeydew
  • Damn, you guys gave me flashbacks to Gunbound with this podcast. Oh those days...with Futurama first appearing on Adult Swim and it was still understandable to have a Dial-Up connection.
    When you said "If the first level is poop, it doesn't matter about the later levels..." I immediately thought "The first level of Super Mario Bros. is a classic for a reason." And you immediately said "Take Super Mario Bros, for example..."

If there's gold lying on the ground in front of you, why wade through shit to get some other gold? Heck, if there's gold lying in front of you, just take it. Even if you can get platinum by wading through shit, it's just not worth it.
    Because as human beings, we love watch people dig through shit and deal with shit. That's why all those internet people who deal with bad games/movies/comics/tv shows become so popular. I mean, it's leaked out into our television programming because we love to see other people show the primal rage we do not show or deal with things we don't have to deal with. Just look at Reality TV and The Discovery Channel
  • unless someone is being snobby about grammar and spelling, in which case their shithadbetter smell like roses and honeydew
    Advice: DO NOT POKE THE BEAR. I still have scars.
  • unless someone is being snobby about grammar and spelling, in which case their shithadbetter smell like roses and honeydew
    How is your shit smellin' these days, Cheesey?
  • It's too bad you guys don't have a PS3, as Trine is available on PSN. I just finished it about a week ago and it was one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year thus far.
  • The Hitchhikers Guide book club has me curious about something: has anyone here read the Myth series of books by Robert Asprin? They're stylistically similar to the Hitchhikers Guide but in a fantasy setting.
  • Here's a different question in the same vein: Has anyone read "And another thing..."? It's the latest "Hitchhiker's" book, by the person who did the Artimus Fowl books.
  • Here's a different question in the same vein: Has anyone read "And another thing..."? It's the latest "Hitchhiker's" book, by the person who did the Artimus Fowl books.
    He finished that? I'd heard of it, but I had no idea that it was out.
  • It came out October 12th, according to Wikipedia.
  • The level of discourse in any MMO does not improve at higher levels.
  • The level of discourse in any MMO does not improve at higher levels.
    It depends. I've had some nice experiences with really cool people, but yea punk kids exist in every level :-p
  • I like playing with the free market in some MMOs.
  • edited November 2009
    If this isn't a "Thing of the Day" I might have to stop listening:

This kid really disproves of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

This kid is comedic genius.

I think that the PC, for the younger generation, is an MMO machine. More people are playing FPSs on consoles because year after year you don't have to upgrade your console to keep up. I will be playing it sooner than later. I will probably be destroyed by a 13 year old.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited November 2009
    Shortly after Noon on November the 15th, the first shots were fired.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Shortly after Noon on November the 15th, the first shots were fired.
    What's all this, then?
  • What's all this, then?
    Grey thinks the dude is a troll. Insanity levels on the forums are once more rising.
  • Oh. I thought the video was kind of funny, in a horrifying Tokyo-Gore-Police kind of way.
  • All that video did was make me feel kind of bad.