This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HeroQuest

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Board Games
Did any of you actually play this game or games like it?

Comments

• I have never played this game but I've wanted to mainly becuase in my first D&D campaign my DM used this game for miniatures, maps, and all that stuff. He would never let us play because he would have to explain the rules that we all read and understood from the box instert. Eventually he admited that the game sucked and he got it when he was a kid and it sucked and he now just uses it for D&D stuff.
  • I played Hero Quest perhaps once or twice in my childhood.

I played Dragon Strike into the fucking ground.
  • yep i owned it - it was awesome. we've lost half the bits and pieces now, so its a bit hard to have a game of it.

we also used to make up extra treasure and stack heaps more monsters in the rooms to give it greater scope.

the only problem was that someone had to be the dungeon master - so i felt this segregated the playing group.

there are games like runebound or arkham horror now that do without the dungeon master.
  • I always chose the elf, despite the fact that he was pretty much useless at everything.
  • I owned Advanced HeroQuest and DungeonQuest, but never the original.

Advanced Heroquest is what started me down the road to Warhammer. I wish I still had my copy of dungeonquest but I lost it somewhere while in the Army. I would buy a new copy but it would cost me too much as it is out of print.
  • My parents gave me HeroQuest as a present when I was in third grade. I was a smart kid, but admittedly it was too "over my head" then - I sat down with the instructions but didn't really understand what a dungeon master was or how all of this worked, especially since I didn't even know that games like D&D existed. Instead I just used it to make up my own stories and scenarios; rearranging the furniture was really fun. I remember being disappointed that it didn't have any female player pieces, so either the wizard or the elf was always a woman ;)

Now that I'm finally old enough to understand it and play it correctly, there is no one close by to do so with :P

I give my parents credit for trying though, they saw a box with wizards and barbarians and monsters on the front and went for it. If that's not fostering young geekdom, I don't know what is.
  • Ah Hero Quest. I enjoyed that game, even though it confused the hell out of me when I was a kid. I only got to play it may 20 times but it was always fun. Of course I played with guys that turned into D&D nut-jobs later but hey, it was a damn good time.