This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101006 - New 2010 Anime

edited October 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we have our tentative thoughts on some of the anime from the recent season or so with Bakuman, MM!, Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge, Star Driver, and Yosuga no sora, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. We also remind you that the combined double New York Comic Con/New York Anime Festival is this weekend!

Download MP3

Comments

edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • Apreche, the guy introduces himself in your TotD. How can you still mispronounce his name?!
    I forgot?
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • So I watched the Girls Generation song..

Do you realize how much damage you could have caused by just copying it into the episode. That thing is catchy to an extreme.
  • Do you realize how much damage you could have caused by just copying it into the episode.
    I suggested doing so.
  • I heard the Japanese version, and it was really weird=P /much better re-sung than most other Korean songs with Japanese covers. Of course I still prefer the original since it more or less sounds like natural speech and they pronounce the words correctly.
  • edited October 2010
    Also, I prefer listening to songs in languages I can't understand as, when it's translated, you realise the lyrics are pretty similar to most other pop songs. In essence, the Newtype Effect.

Also, I think Gee Gee Gee Gee Gee could be turned into some kind of Starcraft "gg" reference.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also, I think Gee Gee Gee Gee Gee could be turned into some kind of Starcraft "gg" reference.
    I've been saying that for over a year. Everyone says I'm crazy.
  • How do we subscribe to the 'Things of the Day' feed?
  • edited October 2010
    Get Scott to make it?
    The old episode RSS used to have the TOTD link in it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Awesome! Thanks Scott
  • I was thinking 'bout something. Scott made a comment that Japanese websites look like websites from the 90s. Now I can more or less agree on some stuff like Goo and Yahoo Japan 'cause of the way they're set up. Although that's just 'cause that's how they're used to, not 'cause of bad webdesign. Of course, I see some pretty bad looking Japanese websites and BBSs, but not any higher percentage than of non-Japanese websites. So I was wondering... what websites were you thinking of Scott?
  • I was thinking 'bout something. Scott made a comment that Japanese websites look like websites from the 90s. Now I can more or less agree on some stuff like Goo and Yahoo Japan 'cause of the way they're set up. Although that's just 'cause that's how they're used to, not 'cause of bad webdesign. Of course, I see some pretty bad looking Japanese websites and BBSs, but not any higher percentage than of non-Japanese websites. So I was wondering... what websites were you thinking of Scott?
    I believe that was Rym and, yeah, whenever I stumble upon a Japanese/Korean etc site it truly looks like some old Internet artifact.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • Indeed. Like, of course some open source app that has been around for ages isn't gonna have a nice website. Same goes for western/American websites
  • edited October 2010
    Did a comparison of a bunch of site
    Japanese websites are for the most part more spammed with links and graphics and shit, but IMO not really messier. Just~ have more stuff
    Post edited by Aria on
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • True, and they also have more QR codes. Those only appear rarely here where I live. Even then they're just for machines.
    In the Land of Moonrunes, the natives can read QR on sight alone.

I am basing this on the seminal Moonland reference text Ghost In The Shell, by acclaimed researcher Masamune Shirow.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • You guys can't read QR codes? I thought everyone could...
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • I can read QR codes, but only in braille. When I first encountered the Moonruners, they called me the "blind gaijin" and passed notes in plain QR I could not read. I was unprepared for the devastating technological superiority of their society.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • Isn't Star Driver written by the writer of Utena TV? 99% sure it is. You may not want to give up on it so fast, Scott.
  • Just finished watching the first episode of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Hilarious and awesome enough that I'll definitely keep watching. Though, I couldn't help feeling that the second half of the episode was waaay better than the first half. That machine spirit thing was a badass.
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by ... on
  • I haven't read the manga for Bakuman, but I thought they handled the scene with his parents and granddad finding out quite well. I remember Scott mentioned this as one of the main factors he'd use to judge the manga vs the anime, so I'd like to know what Scott thought of it.
  • Methinks Star Driver writer Yoji Enokido has been watching some G Gundam.
    I lol'd.