This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101213 - Abstraction

edited December 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider abstraction using the OSI model as a simple example. In the news, the Gawker hack sheds light on the little-discussed details of database security and VGA will disappear within a century.

Don't forget, the current GeekNights book club book is Michio Kaku's Hyperspace.

Download MP3

Comments

• That hockey shot.. wow.
  • edited December 2010
    I want a port forwarding -and all that- show
    That hockey shot: Huh...? I don't get it
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited December 2010
    Could you take the whole pre-show and stick it on at the end so we can tell if it's something worth listening to?

Re: Audino project: Aren't there many Android apps that do such things already?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I would find it amusing of you were to do a "Rym and Scott teach networking in 3 hours...and it will make sense."
  • Some time ago you guys did an unfiltered tech talk episode (Rym talked about getting correct time in VMware) and forum people seemed to be able to follow along nicely, so I'd suggest doing another one of those. Or stretch stories like the Gawker thing to full length episodes.
  • I don't know if you guys remember, but a while ago you did a pair of shows on the TCP Five Layers, and talked a little bit about the seven layers during.

(you also did one on Network Address Translation, which I think came up in a recent show, unless I'm slowly going insane)
  • Yeah, I listened to this episode last night and I'm pretty sure you covered all the main bit in a previous episode, even with similar examples. The Gawker security talk at the beginning was good though.