This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20101221 - Bomberman

edited December 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, having recovered from soul-crushing sickness, we attempt to discuss Bomberman. In the news, Square Enix is making Mario Sports Mix, and we need to preserve old games via good emulation before it's too late.

Also, don't forget that we'll be presenting Losing Should Be Fun at MAGFest 2011, nevermind sitting on two additional panels as part of the MAG-9!

Download MP3

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I thought Rym was going to link up that very important video. Thanks for taking up his slack.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited December 2010
    Unfortunately, Bomberman was recently extraordinarily rendered to a CIA Black Prison due to a mix-up involving the identity of an individual responsible for the systematic demolition of several ancient castles with high explosives as a form of terrorism.

Recent leaks have demonstrated that all police agencies investigating his disappearance and sudden reappearance in an Algerian culvert have been ordered to stop searching for leads.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Damn, you guys make me envious sometimes.
  • Damn, you guys make me envious sometimes.
    Envious of Bomberman?
  • Meant to make a post about this, but I couldn't remember what I wanted to post about until just today when I remembered.

Anyway, so you were discussing video game preservation. UC Berkley has a video game preservation group, but also the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester also has been working a lot on video game preservation. I met the guy doing it at GDC last year, but I don't remember his name and I don't have his business card in front of me at the moment, but he'd probably be a cool guy to talk to on the show.
  • Anyway, so you were discussing video game preservation. UC Berkley has a video game preservation group, but also the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester also has been working a lot on video game preservation. I met the guy doing it at GDC last year, but I don't remember his name and I don't have his business card in front of me at the moment, but he'd probably be a cool guy to talk to on the show.
    That's the Videotpia guy. He was the guy who brought the cabinets to Katsucon, and the guy we keep trying to tell PAX to get in contact with.

According to his site, the exhibit is leaving the Strong Museum of Play very soon and moving to Florida. It's been at Strong for a very long time, so it's good to get some people in another geographic area get some play time.

http://www.videotopia.com/
  • No, I'm pretty sure this was a different guy. He works at the Strong Museum and was in charge of their PC/console game collection.

It's Dr. Jon-Paul Dyson, he's Director of the International Center for the History of Electronic Games at the Strong Museum of Play (I found his business card.)
  • Interesting. If Videotopia is currently on exhibit there, I wonder what parts are Videotopia's collection and what parts belong to ICHEG.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi-Ten Bomberman. An HD ten player Bomberman on a custom PC with a plasma screen from 1993.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2543

This is the same multiplayer Bomberman that is on the Saturn, but that one is obviously not HD.

This is the kind of game that companies need to be putting on XBLA and such. Take a regular old game and just make it bigger and better. Don't waste your time on customizable avatar shit. Get some ten player going on!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Anyone still playing Bombermine?