This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110125 - MAGFest 9

edited January 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, returning from our brief absence, we bring you our coverage of MAGFest 9! The audio is a bit different than usual, on account of us videoing the whole thing for later release. But, with this, GeekNights returns more or less to its regular schedule!

Download MP3

Comments

• You managed to go and pick the ONE time we didn't have a party, for the simple reason that someone thought it was a good idea to have a private rockband panel at 10 AM on Sunday that we were booked to go to. Honestly no one wanted to, but we did it for the kids :P

I am so glad you guys are getting much use on the atari, I haven't used it in eons and thought you guys would use it often. Plus atari on big screen TVs is something awesome that you can not describe to anyone else.

As for role playing there was a tomb of horrors campaign which surprisingly no one died in, go figure? Also I had a crew of over 30 people and NO ONE wanted to play anything outside of the video games/DnD I had action castle ready to go and tried to get a small group together for it and no one bought into it. It was bizarre, however since hearing this I am hell bent getting to pax and gaming with you guys since now I am eager to get my game on.

Plus on your comment on Pinball, if you guys want to play pinball hardcore style I know exactly where you can go. I had a good 7 hours on all of those machines but if you guys want to join me to PAPA I be game for a day trip to get all the pinball you can handle.

So in short, sorry we couldn't party together, but your panels were excellent and I hope to spend more time with you at PAX East. Also it was a bizarre moment that George, who introduced me to your podcast, was in your crew. I haven't talked to him since college and was a blast to catch up with briefly.
    • Also it was a bizarre moment that George, who introduced me to your podcast, was in your crew. I haven't talked to him since college and was a blast to catch up with briefly.
      It's been an interesting two and half years to say the least. Good seeing you again.
    • Did they have stairs? They should have stairs.
    • Thanks for calling out a con for the body odor, a lot of conventions or just nerds in general tend to pretend this doesn't happen or isn't an issue.

Oh my goodness is it ever an issue.

I've seen some conventions that had signs in the rooms reminding attendees to bathe, nerds are such embarrassing children sometimes in some ways.
    • Thanks for calling out a con for the body odor, a lot of conventions or just nerds in general tend to pretend this doesn't happen or isn't an issue.

Oh my goodness is it ever an issue.

I've seen some conventions that had signs in the rooms reminding attendees to bathe, nerds are such embarrassing children sometimes in some ways.
      My plan for PAX East and Anime Boston is to wander around with huge jugs of Rocket Shower and just hose people down.
    • Did they have stairs? They should have stairs.
      Yeah, I'm sure people on the lower floors used the stairs. But what about people who are way up high?
    • Posted By: Neito

My plan for PAX East and Anime Boston is to wander around with huge jugs ofRocket Showerand just hose people down.
      That product looks almost too good to be true.

• I've seen some conventions that had signs in the rooms reminding attendees to bathe, nerds are such embarrassing children sometimes in some ways.
      My plan for PAX East and Anime Boston is to wander around with huge jugs ofRocket Showerand just hose people down.
      That product looks almost too good to be true.
      It's intended for people who, say, bike to work, and then are all sweaty and gross.
    • I could have used that product many many times during my old job.
    • Note on audio production:

Are you fucking AMATEURS? Voices panned to left and right in the stereo mix?

Look, I downloaded this episode ten minutes before getting on a plane. During the safety announcements and take off, you aren't allowed to wear headphones. But I always do anyway, by putting in the headphone only in the ear away from the aisle and hiding the cable. So I put on this podcast, and then could only hear Scott. Thankfully I had something else to listen to until the plane was under way.
    • Are you fucking AMATEURS? Voices panned to left and right in the stereo mix?
      This. I was only able to listen to the episode because I was using speakers.

Look, I downloaded this episode ten minutes before getting on a plane. During the safety announcements and take off, you aren't allowed to wear headphones. But I always do anyway, by putting in the headphone only in the ear away from the aisle and hiding the cable. So I put on this podcast, and then could only hear Scott. Thankfully I had something else to listen to until the plane was under way.
      Rym fail.
    • Rym fail.
      I was in a hurry: I just grabbed the audio from Premiere and threw it up. ;^)
    • Rym fail.
      Pro tip: keep your recording methods you use for the podcast and make MP3 of it, then in video editing replace all sounds with the MP3 file instead of using the on board microphone on your camera. Use a clapping noise to help sync new track with your video and cut out the clapping part from the beginning of your video and tada! You get awesome sound quality without worrying about your camera having a decent microphone.
    • Use a clapping noise
      Dave and Joel style, fuck yeah.
    • edited January 2011
      Rym fail.
      Lol, as I walk around town on my breaks at work, I only use one ear bud (for safety reasons) so I had to literally pick WHO I would listen to!

I gave up after 10 minutes :/

I'll listen to the rest later, I really like the con episodes.
      Post edited by InvaderREN on

Someone can't relax? Have to have something to listen to before takeoff?
    • Someone can't relax? Have to have something to listen to before takeoff?
      You're not allowed to have something to listen to before or during takeoff. Further, Luke's got more miles on him than the Refedex, so I doubt he has problems traveling.
    • Someone can't relax? Have to have something to listen to before takeoff?
      You're not allowed to have something to listen to before or during takeoff. Further, Luke's got more miles on him than the Refedex, so I doubt he has problems traveling.
      I am aware of this. The fact that he doesn't seem able to sit for 10 minutes without some kind of stimulus is what worries me!
    • I am aware of this. The fact that he doesn't seem able to sit for 10 minutes without some kind of stimulus is what worries me!
      Eh, some people get bored with the same thing over and over. If Luke can get away with it, more power to him, I say. He's got one ear available to hear if anything happens, and he can listen to podcast at the same time. He can keep more balls in the air than a Moil with parkinsons, I've got enough faith in his multitasking to let it go, to be honest.
    • I must admit, listening to a stereo podcast was refreshing for a change. Weird, but refreshing.
    • I understand you rush jobbed this, but please, if it comes up again in the future, just do a mono mix, unless that does something horrible I'm unaware of.
    • RymRym
      edited February 2011

Post edited by Rym on
    • I gave up on the Flip camera for long segments: I wasn't able to get the audio to sync. Thus, I used the footage from the crappy backup SD handycam.
    • You guys really need to be looking at something when you talk. Looking off into space works for about 2 seconds, and then creeps me out.

Who are you talking to? To each other? Then look at each other! To the viewer? Then look directly at the camera.

Also, for fucks sake, how many times do I have to talk to you about framing. See all the space above your head? Nobody gives a shit about that. See how the camera cuts off just below the elbow, and we can't see what you are doing with your hands? That's really bad.

Personally I think you should do a split screen. And you can film a split screen without even using two cameras, because you two don't actually have to look at each other to record. Think about it.
    • Yea, I think you guys need to be sitting down or something.
    • edited February 2011
      I wonder if a deodorant company can sponsor MAGFest...
      Post edited by okeefe on
    • edited February 2011
      I thought a deodorant company should sponsor EVERY convention. Plus I think you guys need to work on your set a tad to make it more dynamic, I wish the best in fixing the audio woes. I still suggest using your normal podcast equipment to get the audio just right, a little video editing in Sony Vegas and a clapping noise will fix that problem toot suite.

Also, I suggest using a video hosting site like blip.tv, not only can you earn some revenue sharing but overall a better video encoder/company to deal with. They can also cross post to youtube as well as many other sites you may or may not care about.
      Post edited by Coldguy on
    • I thought a deodorant company should sponsor EVERY convention. Plus I think you guys need to work on your set a tad to make it more dynamic, I wish the best in fixing the audio woes. I still suggest using your normal podcast equipment to get the audio just right, a little video editing in Sony Vegas and a clapping noise will fix that problem toot suite.

Also, I suggest using a video hosting site like blip.tv, not only can you earn some revenue sharing but overall a better video encoder/company to deal with. They can also cross post to youtube as well as many other sites you may or may not care about.
      blip I think is also hosting Fast Karate's video podcasts and they allow for downloads, which is groovy.
    • Scott, the shaved head looks good.

I'll actually watch the videos at some point.