This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110127 - Burger Time!

edited January 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, it's Burger (not Goofy) time as we discuss the all-important burger. Yes kids, it's a much-requested food episode! In the news, TED introduces TED Books and Dungeons & Dragons is banned for prisoners.

Download MP3

Comments

• That was my first thought, too. Brofist.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    They already did a show on Burger Time - the NES game.

I remember because I was out in the hall, lying on the carpet, and it was right before we went to the shore.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Burger Time is a terrible game.
  • Rym got my TotD wrong. I'm saving the one he originally posted for later. I fixed it.
  • Burger Time is a terrible game.
    Those burgers look green, too.
  • edited January 2011
    Finland has rye bun technology. You can make burgers from them:
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Related to the D&D news: I saw this documentary about inmates studying, rehearsing, and performing Shakespeare plays in English class a few years ago. It was a really interesting film; it seemed like a really positive experience for everyone involved.
  • Rym got my TotD wrong. I'm saving the one he originally posted for later. I fixed it.
    My bad. We recorded the show in a rush, as I had an engagement. I returned home late and still intoxicated, forced then to edit and upload the show. I made an error. ;^)
  • Finland has rye bun technology. You can make burgers from them:
    See? That is a bun as opposed to two slices.
  • See? That is a bun as opposed to two slices.
    They hold up pretty well too, want me to mail you some?
  • See? That is a bun as opposed to two slices.
    They hold up pretty well too, want me to mail you some?
    Not now. Maybe in summer BBQ season.
  • It's funny because that "news' about D&D is like a freaking year old.
  • It's funny because that "news' about D&D; is like a freaking year old.
    Yeah, it somehow made the rounds again.
  • I thought it was funny how the prison restricted something that mimics a gang instead of putting more restrictions on actual prison gangs. Regardless, the guy was put in jail for killing someone.
    I don't really care if he gets to keep his d20.

Sucker Punch has a plot with a few parallels to this situation. Captives use escapist fantasy to overcome a hostile environment.
  • Here's the real reason D&D was banned. It's so hard for most geeks to get a game together, they can't even find one person. In prison, you'll have no problem finding players. Geeks might start trying to go to jail on purpose just to get a regular game.
  • edited January 2011
    Here's the real reason D&D; was banned. It's so hard for most geeks to get a game together, they can't even find one person. In prison, you'll have no problem finding players. Geeks might start trying to go to jail on purpose just to get a regular game.
    Wonder if they have board games and video games too might think about getting thrown in jail if that were the case haha.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Here's the real reason D&D; was banned. It's so hard for most geeks to get a game together, they can't even find one person. In prison, you'll have no problem finding players. Geeks might start trying to go to jail on purpose just to get a regular game.
    Wonder if they have board games and video games too might think about getting thrown in jail if that were the case haha.
    Even if they do, there is a problem. Even when things like that are permitted in prison, they are privileges. They're given out the way candy is given out in elementary school. You won't get to play all day or even every day. Since I assume you will have excellent behavior, you will get it as often as is allowed, but you'll also be out of prison so soon because of your good behavior as well! A better idea is to just get enough money so you don't have to work, and then play games all the time.
  • Wonder if they have board games and video games too might think about getting thrown in jail if that were the case haha.
    Just check into a retirement home early.
  • Here's the real reason D&D; was banned. It's so hard for most geeks to get a game together, they can't even find one person. In prison, you'll have no problem finding players. Geeks might start trying to go to jail on purpose just to get a regular game.
    I just got the mental image of an entire prison block standing in line going :handwave: ACTION CASTLE :handwave:
  • A better idea is to just get enough money so you don't have to work, and then play games all the time.
    I am pretty sure that it will be easier to go to jail :-p
  • Man now all I want is some grilled cheese sandwich (well maybe a little tomato soup too) when I get home. It sounds so good right now.

I'm also not a fan of 5 Guys, blech. It's greasy meat on a sad bun. The burger chain I really like is Cheeburger Cheeburger. The meat tastes good, they have nice buns and you can easily pick and choose what you want on your burger (of things which include Old Bay, which makes any burger better). They also have some pretty good milk shakes and onion rings also.
  • I bloody hate skiers but that video is impressive. It's like a real version of SSX3.
  • Oh mans. I'd like to publicly thank Scott on his lunch recommendation today. That was the best burger I've ever had in Manhattan, and the second best I've had in New York state. (The best was at Elle Cafe in Brooklyn, by the way)
  • Oh mans. I'd like to publicly thank Scott on hislunch recommendationtoday. That was the best burger I've ever had in Manhattan, and the second best I've had in New York state. (The best was atElle Cafein Brooklyn, by the way)
    There are many better than Shake Shack.
  • edited January 2011
    You might want to avoid the prison RPG idea. Every hear of the Stanford Prison Experiment?
    Post edited by Void Dragon on
  • You might want to avoid the prison RPG idea. Every hear of theStanford Prison Experiment?
    Oh fuck.

I must say, I found the rectangle/square duality of buns and rolls highly amusing.
    In addition, there is an excellent diner not half a mile from my house called the Sycamore. While one of the hosts professed his distaste for the thin patties, I have to disagree because these burgers are delicious. It also helps that the diner has The Best Fucking Root Beer.
  • I'm also not a fan of 5 Guys, blech. It's greasy meat on a sad bun.
    While that may be somewhat true, Five Guys is really the only option for burgers where I live. I'll take it over any fast food "burger." Plus, the greasiness doesn't bother me unless the burger cools down and the grease becomes that nasty cold slimy grease. The fries are pretty good too (esp. with malt vinegar on them).