This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110202 - Subs and Dubs

edited February 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the age old fanboy member measuring argument of "sub vs. dub." Scott GeekBites 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and the New York Comic Con added a Thursday "preview night."

Download MP3

Comments

• "Monster is girl!"

Brilliant.
  • edited February 2011
    You already did this episode.
    I was about to say...
    "Monster is girl!"
    "You are very dirty pony..."
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2011
    You already did this episode.
    Oh fuck how? I searched!
    The new geeknights search is pretty useless. The look of the new site is great, but functionality went waaay down. I loved being able to pick show categories or days and just see the shows that fell under those.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You already did this episode.
    Oh fuck how? I searched!
    That's pretty hilarious.
  • I loved being able to pick show categories or days and just see the shows that fell under those.
    You can do this.
  • Oh wait, nevermind, our mistake. It was actually called "Dubs and Subs" this is totally diffrent.
  • While this is quite sad that we repeated a show, considering the number of shows vs. number of repeats, I think we're doing pretty good. We seem to be emerging from a drought of good ideas.
  • Plus this goes along with something you guys said might be interesting to do at some point - namely, redoing an old show without first listening to the old one, and then comparing the two to see if your opinions have changed or not over the years. I'm now curious about listening to these episodes back to back.
  • Every time I try to listen to a anime episode, it seems all you talk about is conventions. This was no exception =P
  • Every time I try to listen to a anime episode, it seems all you talk about is conventions. This was no exception =P
    There was convention news, and there is always conventions in the meta moment.
  • edited February 2011
    Didn't you guys say that you wanted to intentionally re-do some episodes and compare afterward if your opinions had changed?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Didn't you guys say that you wanted to intentionally re-do some episodes and compare afterward if your opinions had changed?
    Yes, but we didn't make the conscious choice to do that on this one.

For once, you can blame Scott. ;^) I searched for "dub", saw nothing, and OK'd the show. Scott searched for whatever he searched for and came to the same conclusion. "Dub" doesn't return the old show, but "dubs" does.
    The new geeknights search is pretty useless.
    Agreed, it has problems. But it's much better than the old search.
    The look of the new site is great, but functionality went waaay down.
    Bullshit. What can't you do now that you did then?
    being able to pick show categories or days and just see the shows that fell under those.
    On the main page for, say, Monday, point your mouse over to "More Monday Episodes." 27 pages of Monday episodes going back to 2005.
  • While this is quite sad that we repeated a show
    I knew it! I asked Rym, "I think you did this show."
  • I knew it! I asked Rym, "I think you did this show."
    Yeap. I then searched our site and didn't find a previous episode. ^_~
  • edited February 2011
    "Dub" doesn't return the old show, but "dubs" does.
    Couldn't you easily modify the search to also return the results of 'string' + 's', 'es', etc?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Even 'dub*' doesn't show the old episode
  • No matter the website search,every show has a forum thread, and dub hits home.
    And one would assume that the site search will find something, thus not bothering with redundant searches.

Also, I should note that the vast majority of our listeners have probably never heard the original episode on the topic. ;^)
  • No matter the website search,every show has a forum thread, and dub hits home.
    And one would assume that the site search will find something, thus not bothering with redundant searches.

Also, I should note that the vast majority of our listeners have probably never heard the original episode on the topic. ;^)
    Actually, I know that quite a few website searches don't return any results for requests under four characters long. I'm not sure of the technical reasons for this, but it does happen. If I ever search for something short and get no hits, I know it might not be that there are no hits possible, just no hits presented.

Also, I should note that I probably won't listen to the main bit of this episode either!
  • I'm not sure of the technical reasons for this
    It's almost always for performance reasons.
  • I'm not sure of the technical reasons for this
    It's almost always for performance reasons.
    No shit.
  • edited February 2011
    It has nothing to do with the number of characters or peformance. The search server is ridiculously fast. It's just really really hard to get it to do fancy things, and I haven't learned it yet. One of the fancy things it can do, but I don't know how to make it do, is search for part-words. If you search for hill, hillbilly should be in the results, but very low in the results. Right now, it's not in the results at all. If you search for dub, you won't find dubs, and vice versa.

It's possible, I just gotta figure it out.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I wasn't commenting on the reasons, I was commenting on:
    And one would assume that the site search will find something
    As someone non-technical, I DON'T assume site searches will find something, especially not with just three letters. That Rym doesn't know this, or didn't think of it at the time, surprises me.
  • I wasn't commenting on the reasons, I was commenting on:
    As someone non-technical, I DON'T assume site searches will find something, especially not with just three letters. That Rym doesn't know this, or didn't think of it at the time, surprises me.
    A search with even two letters will work. http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/search/?q=as
  • edited February 2011
    I wasn't commenting on the reasons, I was commenting on:
    A search with even two letters will work.http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/search/?q=as
    Well done for missing my point. I'm not saying that on frontrowcrew.com it doesn't work. I'm saying that when searching on sites, I don't ASSUME that it will work, and for many reasons. I DON'T assume, and I don't ASSUME, and *I* don't assume. I'm surprised Rym does/did.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I've had the same issue with a search being to short on other forum communities. I just modify my search whenever that happens. No biggie.
  • I listened to this episode last night as I headed out for drinks. In the bar I chatted to three people who work at a subtitling and dubbing company. I have nothing interesting to add, but it was a fun coincidence.
  • The first anime I ever saw (after a few Miyazakis) was Kimba the White Lion, and if you think the Trigun dub was bad, at least that cut the animation off when the actor finished the line. Polly would keep moving his mouth for a good 3 seconds after he finished talking. However, it was Tezuka, so I kept watching because it was that good. Also, Scott said that no bad dub has ever killed anyone, but that dub was charged with insurance fraud, and the Evangelion dub was found guilty for identity theft (it stole the identity of the Trigun dub, who would do that?) So while he was technically right, they've come pretty close.