This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110308 - Tales of the Arabian Nights

edited March 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we recount our experiences with the board game role playing game semi-interactive story generator Tales of the Arabian Nights. In the news, Another World is being re-released on IOS, Magika: Vietnam isn't a joke, and Darkspore is incredibly boring.

Download MP3

Comments

• Had to laugh near the end where Scott is like, it's got such a good idea, but have your own inventory sheet and maybe have a book where you go through as a team, page 1, page 2, and maybe have your own book as well...

Yeah, replace the word book with the word screen and just go play 4-Swords already. :)
  • Out of this World has an anniversary edition with updated graphics on Good Ol' Games. I played it last year and was really impressed. It's a rather short game, but fun nonetheless. It's also controller enabled.
  • If you like replaying old games on your iPhone/pad Vay has been around for a while if you are into Sega CD JRPGs.
  • edited March 2011
    Out of this world (Aka. Another World) is an absolute classic. If nothing else, it revolutionized gaming narrative through its cinematic delivery. Prior to that (and I am speaking as a devout Sierra gamer) most gaming cutscenes consisted of relatively static images.

Edit: I had NO idea a semi-true sequel was made AND that it has an open source Windows port!

http://hota.sourceforge.net/
    Post edited by Captainbubby on
  • Sorry, Scott, but I don't get your "almost offendedness." about Magika Really, if you're going to get offended (which I don't understand. They're just computer puppets) I would see someone getting offended over real wars being depicted realistically, because it's turning real events into a game for entertainment.

Anyway, I think Magika just did it so they could goof on the Modern Warfare cover art.
  • I would see someone getting offended over real wars being depicted realistically, because it's turning real events into a game for entertainment.
    Realistic games about real events, even tragic ones, can also be educational and exploratory.
  • Anyway, I think Magika just did it so they could goof on the BC2 cover art.
  • Sorry, Scott, but I don't get your "almost offendedness." about Magika.
    When I watched the video, I felt an onset of "almost offendedness" too, and that was before I listened to this episode. But I thought "You know what? I don't know enough about the game or the video for me to understand what is going on, so I'll withhold judgement for now." Scott then told me what I needed to know, and I'm no longer offended.