This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110608 - Hipira and Wakfu

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, the cute Hipira and the fun Wakfu. DC Comics is trying digital distribution and a universal relaunch, Kevin Smith is putting on a reality show set in a comic shop, and Foreskin man might be somewhat anti-semitic.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I wouldn't dare say I know of a better coaster than Millenium Force b/c I've never considered myself a roller coaster geek, but I grew up next to Six Flag's Great Adventure (their premiere park) which has tons of great coasters. It spoiled me enough that when I road-tripped out to Cedar Point during high school, I wasn't blown away (it's still an amazing park). I've lost my desire to go to theme parks, but I'd say once every 5 years is worth it to overpay and wait in sweaty lines to ride 6 or 7 roller coasters. You guys should consider Great Adventure if you ever get the itch, it's like 90 minutes from NYC.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I'd say once every 5 years is worth it to overpay and wait in sweaty lines to ride 6 or 7 roller coasters.
    More like 20-30. There's a skill to maximizing ride time. ;^)
  • Wow. I love how foreskin-comic-guy's argument is "Sex didn't feel good enough because my foreskin is missing, therefore no one should be allowed to give children circumcisions." Because you know, he totally knows what it would be like with a foreskin. I'm happy it was done to me so I didn't have to make the decision later and deal with all the physical pain.
    I'd punch that guy right in the frenulum.
  • I'd say once every 5 years is worth it to overpay and wait in sweaty lines to ride 6 or 7 roller coasters.
    More like 20-30. There's a skill to maximizing ride time. ;^)
    I don't think I ever developed any line optimization skill aside from being at the park at the right time. When I was young and had the Great Adventure season pass, we'd go after one of those huge 1-hour summer evening thunderstorms rolled through. You didn't even have to get out of your seat before they ran the coaster again!

The best day I ever had was when a friend and I snuck into high school senior trip day. Apparently you had to be part of an official school trip to get in the park that day, but we thought it was open to any high school senior, so we showed up anyway. Had to slip in with a group, and then realized that all of the school chaperones were loading up their buses and getting the hell out of there between 6-7. The park was open till 10 and there were maybe 4 buses of kids left on the park with us. Not a single line to be seen! Will never forget that.
  • Optimizing ride time: Get to the park immediately when it opens. Ride the biggest baddest rides with the shortest lines immediately, the kind the most people don't want to ride so early in the morning. Literally run from ride to ride. Repeat.
  • Zoamelgustar
    LOL.
    I see what you did there.
  • Was this the episode where you talked about pay?

Here's an interesting post about the differing pay grades between men and women from Reddit.

Obviously this is a throwaway, my employer would be far from happy to see me talking about this. I am not a researcher and can't offer and statistics, just what I see in my day to day job.

Today I finished interviewing my third new hire this month, two of which are women. They both are getting paid substantially less than the man I hired earlier this month, and to be honest I am getting tired of that. I don't set the wages, I just handle negotiations (HR has to approve every offer I make).

Our process, despite the pay gap, is identical for men and women. We start with phone interviews, and move into a personal and technical interview. Once a candidate passes both of those, we start salary negotiations. This is where the women seem to come in last.

The reason they don't keep up, from where I sit, is simple. Often, a woman will enter the salary negotiation phase and I'll tell them a number will be sent to them in a couple days. Usually we start around $45k for an entry level position. 50% to 60% of the women I interview simply take this offer. It's insane, I already know I can get authorization for more if you simply refuse. Inversely, almost 90% of the men I interview immediately ask for more upon getting the offer.

The next major mistake happens with how they ask for more. In general, the women I have negotiated with will say 45k is not enough and they need more, but not give a number. I will then usually give a nominal bump to 48k or 50k. Company policy wont let me bump more than 5k over the initial offer unless they specifically request more. On the other hand, men more frequently will come back with a number along the lines of 65k to 75k, and I will be forced to negotiate down from there. After this phase, almost all women will take the offer or move on to somewhere else, not knowing they could have gotten more if they asked.

At the end, most of the women I hire make between 45k and 50k, whereas the men make between 60k and 70k. Even more crazy, they ask for raises far less often, so the disparity only grows.

I don't know if this is at all helpful, I feel most of it is common sense, but I see it all the time. How can I help?

TL;DR :

Don't be afraid to ask for more, it's not insulting or in any way going to affect your ability to be hired (we can always say no)
    When you ask for more, give a number! If you let me pick, I will continue to lowball it.
    Ask for raises, confident people get them more often than high performers in a heavy bureaucracy.

On a small sidenote, the one person who got the most out of us was a highly aggressive, very smart, very confident woman. She nearly doubled the initial offer, which due to how she marketed herself was already pretty high.