This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110614 - Hardcored into a Corner

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we mostly complain about our troubles finding similarly invested board-gaming nerds. We also consider the upcoming Burning Wheel Gold and the Wii-U. We have Things of the Day, but due to Audition being an awesome and well-written program, the audio for that portion of the show is forever lost to time and space. Enjoy them below despite the lack of commentary. Also, Magical Drop V is coming.

Download MP3

Comments

• Is this the first time a segment has been lost like this? I can't recall one, and it's really quite an impressive track record if it is.
  • Is this the first time a segment has been lost like this? I can't recall one, and it's really quite an impressive track record if it is.
    Rym fail.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2011
    Rym fail.
    It happens. Audition crashed, and when I re-opened it, that middle segment was corrupted. We didn't say much of interest in that 5 minute chunk anyway. ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • the audio for that portion of the show is forever lost to time and space
    "Forever." Whoa there champ. That's a far-reaching statement. Can you support that with evidence?
    "Forever." Whoa there champ. That's a far-reaching statement. Can you support that with evidence?
    That's true. Probability-wise the same exact waveform will appear in the universe.
  • edited June 2011
    Honestly, Rym, I don't get how you are having so many problems with Audition. I've been using it for years and it's never crashed on me. Maybe something else you're using with it is interacting weirdly?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Honestly, Rym, I don't get how you are having so many problems with Audition. I've been using it for years and it's never crashed on me.
    Scott Rule #2.7182: Only Scott is allowed to make statements like: "that program has never crashed on me in years of use" ;)
  • I've never used Audition but Adobe Premiere has crashed on me countless times.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, Premiere is a bit of a wreck for me as well.

The best PMV Hell I've seen.
  • Great episode! Awesome Rym thing of the day: Ponies vs Kanye. Fair Wii U discussion.

If you can keep this standard up, I will fellate you both to bring me another 5 years of Geeknights.

Wait... What????

:)
  • edited June 2011
    If you can keep this standard up, I will fellate you both to bring me another 5 years of Geeknights.

Wait... What????
    You know how we know you're gay?
  • You know how we know you're gay?
    His impeccable fashion choices?
  • You know how we know you're gay?
    His impeccable fashion choices?
    Way to knock that one right out of the park there, Churbs.
  • ROFL.

I have a son!

*Hiding in plain sight*....

Nah, seriously, good episode. When Geeknights ends, I will commit Sepuku.

Probably...
  • ROFL.

I have a son!
  • Sounds like you guys haven't looked at the details for this Recess before recording the episode. They have done away with the pre-reg lineup, and are now instituting a lottery to sign up for games with. I give them credit for realizing there is a problem with having a giant line, and trying to solve it, but the potential issues with using a lottery just make my head spin. Before it has even been implemented once, they are already having to specify all sorts of special conditions for entering the lottery as a group so you can play with certain people. (I don't understand why people are so set on playing with their closest friends at large social gatherings anyway).

One thing I have enjoyed running at Recess to fill up the 4 hour slots are multiple rounds of a 60-90 minute game. The last one I was at, I ran a Small World game where the first round was just teaching the base game to new players, but then we mixed in all of the expansion stuff for a second round. It was very enjoyable to watch people "get it" and start to implement some real strategy the second time around.

I think Rym hit the nail on the head that if you guys plan on retreating to this "friends only" approach, you still need to put yourself out there to actually meet people who want to play. Stepping up and saying "I'll be the one who will run the hardcore game" is a great way to do that. With baby on the way and the decreasing likelihood of me getting into NYC on a regular basis, I am very grateful that I have stumbled upon a quality local group!
  • One thing I have enjoyed running at Recess to fill up the 4 hour slots are multiple rounds of a 60-90 minute game. The last one I was at, I ran a Small World game where the first round was just teaching the base game to new players, but then we mixed in all of the expansion stuff for a second round. It was very enjoyable to watch people "get it" and start to implement some real strategy the second time around.
    I am shocked and amazed you were able to get in more than one game in one slot. I have never seen that happen at Recess before.
  • One thing I have enjoyed running at Recess to fill up the 4 hour slots are multiple rounds of a 60-90 minute game. The last one I was at, I ran a Small World game where the first round was just teaching the base game to new players, but then we mixed in all of the expansion stuff for a second round. It was very enjoyable to watch people "get it" and start to implement some real strategy the second time around.
    I am shocked and amazed you were able to get in more than one game in one slot. I have never seen that happen at Recess before.
    I sat out the first game and facilitated. This allowed me to poke people to take their turns, and answer rules questions on the side (while preventing me from rolling all of the new guys). It set the tone and the second game went smoothly as well. If you do this, there's no reason you can't get two 90 minute games in with a 4 hour session time. I've done it with Last Night on Earth as well.
  • Sounds like you guys haven't looked at the details for this Recess before recording the episode.
    Nope. ;^) We'd committed to not attending this particular one some time ago. I definitely want to hear how the lottery works out.

I will run some games at the next Recess, so long as it isn't during a convention or vacation. We basically just have to transition to running content rather than consuming it, as we have with most of the other conventions and events we attend.
  • Sounds like you guys haven't looked at the details for this Recess before recording the episode.
    Nope. ;^) We'd committed to not attending this particular one some time ago. I definitely want to hear how the lottery works out.

I will run some games at the next Recess, so long as it isn't during a convention or vacation. We basically just have to transition to running content rather than consuming it, as we have with most of the other conventions and events we attend.
    Speaking of other conventions, I love the PAX idea of doing a mass teaching of some particular game, followed by several simultaneous games. Hope you guys can make it happen. East definitely has the space for such events.
  • FYI, Seattle has a Pinball Museum about 1 mile away from the WSCC and for $7 you can play endless pinball on 30+ machines.
  • FYI, Seattle has a Pinball Museum about 1 mile away from the WSCC and for $7 you can play endless pinball on 30+ machines.
    Oooooh . . . I'm going to be in Seattle this fall, I gotta check that out.
  • YThe best PMV Hell I've seen.
    this is the best thing that's ever happened.
    There's one in DC too. I'm going this weekend.
  • The group concept for signing up for games in Recess is a provision for families I suspect. So a parent can ensure that they are in the same game as their child.

I was initially worried that Scott and Rym were ditching both Recess and Board Game Night. This is not the case and I'm glad because an absence of hard-core gamers at these events would be a shame. I'm always looking to learn from those who know more about these things than me and also keen to spread my knowledge too. I have found some aspects of Recess/Board game night problematic too.

I've sat out sessions in Recess because nothing appealing was left, but that is where their open-gaming concept comes in. I'm also not a fan of the majority of offerings (no a dungeon crawler for example). My solution is to run games and I will be running in both slots at Saturday's Recess. But that is a lot of prep work and not for everyone.

WRT Board game night, I find it difficult playing Carcassonne in the dark on a small table! But I don't see an easy solution to that. I also ate the worst sandwich of my life in Think Coffee (and I'm British so I know bad sandwiches). Also, finding people to play game-x is difficult. I really wanted to try out Agricola but no takers (the hardcore, ie Scott and Rym were already deeply invested in Le Havre I think).
  • I really wanted to try out Agricola but no takers (the hardcore, ie Scott and Rym were already deeply invested in Le Havre I think).
    I've seen some Agricola games at board game night, but they literally took all night. If you actually start at 7, you should be able to play it at least twice before 11.
  • I really wanted to try out Agricola but no takers (the hardcore, ie Scott and Rym were already deeply invested in Le Havre I think).
    I've seen some Agricola games at board game night, but they literally took all night. If you actually start at 7, you should be able to play it at least twice before 11.
    Waiting for the iOS version it is then... Speaking of which Puerto Rico is late. Very late. It was supposed to be out in May.
  • Oh mans, I wish I had a group that would play Puerto Rico ten times in a row.
  • If you ever find yourself in Austin you guys need to check out Pinballz over 80 pinball machines and lots of old school 80's arcade machines. There is also a DDR an Pump it Up machine.
    Pinballz Arcade