This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110620 - DNS Today

edited June 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the ramifications of expanded top-level domains on DNS, as well as the current state of it. In the news, lulzsec exists (in one form or another), Libre Office exists, someone thought 250lbs of paper was a better option than a USB stick, and someone else scanned it all back in anyway.

Also, checkout Game Hack Day if you're in New York!

Download MP3

Comments

• Just now getting to the "smart tech people" and wanted to share that the company I'm with right now has just started to work on a new website to replace our rickety old shack. I've pushed for some (but not all) of my security concerns... and made it potentially a lot better. However, now "time" is becoming an issue, and those at the top seem to be really confused at how the security of our website wasn't so hot before. If only people in general knew anything at all about how poor security in general is out there. Even despite all that, we'd still be pretty screwed if just one employee smartphone or laptop was stolen, and ten percent of the company has the root password to multiple servers and devices with critical information.

World full of rickety shacks indeed.
  • Dear lord, how can anyone get anywhere by car, bicycle or foot in NYC without breaking a leg literally. I used to think that was just a saying... damn.
  • Dear lord, how can anyone get anywhere by car, bicycle or foot in NYC without breaking a leg literally. I used to think that was just a saying... damn.
    Skills.
    Skills.
    Little old ladies do it.
    Skills.
    Little old ladies do it.
    Skilled old ladies.
    That video highlights ONE person's view of "close calls" and "almost accidents". But that is using HIS personal limits on what or what does not constitute a close call.

However, for those on the street itself, the vast majority of those incidents are accepted by everyone as acceptable. The cyclists weave through the pedestrians and the cyclists are happy, and the pedestrians hardly look round or even care. When the cars try to force their way through pedestrians, the pedestrians don't care,and the drivers show no signs of caring either. Down on the street the apparent danger seems low, and only from the vantage point of the videographer does it look bad. Everyone is just getting on with it, and managing their closeness and distance and levels of danger.

I watched the video last night, but I only remember ONE accident, and that was down to the truck reversing. And the truck is the opposite of pedestrians and cyclists or even cars.

For comparison:

However, the New York video is still very funny.
  • However, for those on the street itself, the vast majority of those incidents are accepted by everyone as acceptable.
    Which only brings us to the fact that those people are either insane, suicidal or stupid. It's dangerous and irresponsible behaviour that fucks up traffic flow. And that truck was just horrendous. Shutting down all fucking traffic while he tries to turn around. All the fuck had to do was take 2 lefts or 2 rights, it's the fucking US where every it's all blocks.
  • Which only brings us to the fact that those people are either insane, suicidal or stupid.
    It's not actually so bad if you're even moderately aware and skilled. I feel safer in that sort of traffic on a bike than I ever have on a straight road.
  • It's not actually so bad if you're even moderately aware and skilled.
    That's not the problem here. There's absolutely no reason to do any of the shit that causes such results. Bicyclists running red lights, pedestrians jaywalking, cars refusing to yield and blocking the box, etc. At least the excuse in that India video (which is quite tame for India even) is that there's no actual fucking lights as far as I can see.
  • That's not the problem here. There's absolutely no reason to do any of the shit that causes such results. Bicyclists running red lights, pedestrians jaywalking, cars refusing to yield and blocking the box, etc. At least the excuse in that India video (which is quite tame for India even) is that there's no actual fucking lights as far as I can see.
    I gotta agree with n...ew guy here. Follow the rules, for christ's sake. Sure, most accidents are caused by human error, but why do people assume it's never THEM, because THEY are smart, savvy new york(or anywhere else) drivers, it's everyone else that's an idiot?
  • cars refusing to yield and blocking the box
    The fundamental problem is that if the cars yield correctly, they will literally never progress: there is never a point where non-jaywalking pedestrians clear the intersection, and effectively no legal way to turn in Manhattan. If everyone obeyed all of the traffic laws, you'd have a gridlock that never moved or ended.

I'd rather they levy a large surcharge on driving in Manhattan anywhere except a specific route between the bridges and tunnels, do anything they can to reduce car traffic during the day.
  • edited June 2011
    there is never a point where non-jaywalking pedestrians clear the intersection
    Bring a shotgun.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited June 2011
    If everyone obeyed all of the traffic laws, you'd have a gridlock that never moved or ended.
    Then, if you'll pardon me sounding like Nine(He is dearly missed), New York must be super poorly designed. Whoever figured that city out should be brought back to life, so they can be shot.

I literally don't understand how it could fail so badly, with it being a relatively modern city and all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The fundamental problem is that if the cars yield correctly, they will literally never progress: there is never a point where non-jaywalking pedestrians clear the intersection, and effectively no legal way to turn in Manhattan. If everyone obeyed all of the traffic laws, you'd have a gridlock that never moved or ended.
    You need better crosswalk signals that don't go green immediately and allow cars time to turn.
  • New York must be super poorly designed.
    It's more that there are too many cars relative to the pedestrian traffic. The city needs to edge the cars out, but it's a slow process (cabbie unions, for example, fought the removal of cars from much of Broadway near Times Square to the bitter end). I hope that in the next decade or so, we see what amounts to a ban on noncommercial vehicles south of 59th street during daylight hours.
  • It's more that there are too many cars relative to the pedestrian traffic. The city needs to edge the cars out, but it's a slow process (cabbie unions, for example, fought the removal of cars from much of Broadway near Times Square to the bitter end). I hope that in the next decade or so, we see what amounts to a ban on noncommercial vehicles south of 59th street during daylight hours.
    Ah, that makes sense.

I suppose I'm a bit spoiled, living in a much younger city, which was designed in such a way that it was easy to convert from carts to cars, and from the start of the time when cars started to gain traction, we started designing for cars and pedestrians equally. For example, our main shopping drags, Queen street mall and Valley Mall, they were both pedestrian thoroughfares from the start - you can go and look on Google maps to see the general street layout of the city, if you want.

Then again, we've not been without our problems, such as the urban renewal projects of Sir Joh, The floods, and the removal of trams. But we've done well, overall.
  • New York was originally built for horses. It has the same problems as Microsoft Windows. Take any system and keep updating it over a long period of time without restarting from a clean slate and you can't avoid an eventual mess.
  • edited June 2011
    Douche bag vs. Douche nozzle.

I think being called a douche nozzle is considered worse then being called a douche bag. A douche bag holds the cleansing liquids that cleans the intended orifice, while the douche nozzle enters the sullied chamber that needs cleaning and can at times get dirty in the process.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • while the douche nozzle enters the sullied chamber that needs cleaning and can at times get dirty in the process.
    Entering even a sullied chamber is an incredibly desirable prospect for many.
  • edited June 2011
    Douche bag vs. Douche nozzle.

I think being called a douche nozzle is considered worse then being called a douche bag. A douche bag holds the cleansing liquids that cleans the intended orifice, while the douche nozzle enters the sullied chamber that needs cleaning and can at times get dirty in the process.
    Funny story: I was under the impression that a douche bag was a bag akin to a Necessary bag but for showering. This lead to me believing it to be a much, much milder curse word than it actually is and subsequently using it in front of my very good American friends and their 5 and 7 year old daughters...

Hooo boy.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • How can many hacks not equal a big hack? If you hack 80% of Facebook's accounts I would consider that a big hack, even if you did it individually. Are the pyramids not a building and just a bunch of blocks?
  • Funny story: I was under the impression that a douche bag was a bag akin to a Necessary bag but for showering. This lead to me believing it to be a much, much milder curse word than it actually is and subsequently using it in front of my very good American friends and their 5 and 7 year old daughters...

Hooo boy.
    The first time I heard about 'douche bag', I too was confused. What in English is called a shower, we call a douche. So obviously I thought about:
  • How can many hacks not equal a big hack? If you hack 80% of Facebook's accounts I would consider that a big hack, even if you did it individually. Are the pyramids not a building and just a bunch of blocks?
    While compromising that many accounts would be a substantial hack, the hacker would still only have the power of users. They wouldn't have access to Facebook's internal mechanisms/data. They could take people's private info, vandalize their profiles, and possibly dissuade people from using Facebook because it is "insecure".

Anyway, If that many people were hacked at once, Facebook would likely put up some sort of "match this profile picture with your friend's name" system and make everyone change their passwords.
  • In this episode, Scott said that if he had a bunch of money lying around, he would just buy Microsoft Office. Didn't Scott say a few episodes ago that he doesn't mind that his salary is lower than Rym's because he has the money to buy everything he wants?
  • In this episode, Scott said that if he had a bunch of money lying around, he would just buy Microsoft Office. Didn't Scott say a few episodes ago that he doesn't mind that his salary is lower than Rym's because he has the money to buy everything he wants?
    Clearly, he doesn't want Microsoft office that much.
  • edited June 2011
    In this episode, Scott said that if he had a bunch of money lying around, he would just buy Microsoft Office. Didn't Scott say a few episodes ago that he doesn't mind that his salary is lower than Rym's because he has the money to buy everything he wants?
    Ding! If it were $50, I would probably buy two copies. At the current price, I'll buy zero.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Ding! If it were $50, I would probably buy two copies. At the current price, I'll buy zero.
    The fact I can figure out your thoughts on an issue that trivially chills me to my bones.
  • edited June 2011
    In this episode, Scott said that if he had a bunch of money lying around, he would just buy Microsoft Office. Didn't Scott say a few episodes ago that he doesn't mind that his salary is lower than Rym's because he has the money to buy everything he wants?
    The fact I can figure out your thoughts on an issue that trivially chills me to my bones.
    It's a pretty obvious thought. It's like if I saw you munching on a candy bar, it'd be pretty obvious for me to assume "Oh, Churba's hungry and/or has a sweet tooth". It's not like you're the married couple finishing each other's sentences.Yet.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Regarding Scott's idea for extreme parking fines, there are definitely people who would find a $450 fine to be pretty devastating to their finances. Besides, a far better solution is to tie the amount of a fine to a person's income, which they do in many European countries. The most expensive speeding ticket so far was issued in Switzerland, $290,000 for going 85 mph in a 30 mph zone.
  • New York was originally built for horses. It has the same problems as Microsoft Windows. Take any system and keep updating it over a long period of time without restarting from a clean slate and you can't avoid an eventual mess.
    Does Windows 7 count as a clean slate? Or are we still just updating?